What oil to run in Blown Alky motor

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by isracing, Apr 15, 2009.

1. isracing

isracing New Member

Trying to figure out what oil to start using, and wanted to get the opinion of you guys. Last motor (before refresh) I was running Pennzoil 40wt my new engine guy put in some Valvoline 20/50 for the first outing, and is looking into to some Joe Gibbs synth 20/50. I don't want to spend a ton on oil if I"m going to change it every race, what do you guys do.

2. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

Brad Penn.....very good stuff and reasonably priced. 50 wt when its cold, 70 when its really hot. some go 1/2 each to end up with 60 wt. it doesn't contaminate as quickly as other oils also......just my 2 cents

3. BigB

BigB New Member

With as often as you need to change oil on a blown motor it doesnt seem to economical to run any synthetic.
    We run Maxima 70 weight. But your bearing clearences and how the motor was set up come into play as far as what you should be running.

4. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

brad penn!

5. PROMOD63

PROMOD63 Member

Brad penn is the choice of many but not avalible in my aera so we use valvoline nitro 70 we change every race and it works well

6. Money Shot

Money Shot Member

I have run Valvoline VR60 for years in mostly wet sump nitrous motors and have had very good luck with it. Recently switched to blown alky also with wet sump and it seems up to the task as well. Bearings still look new.

7. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Redline

I have had good luck over the years with Valvoline, but I know a lot of racers have good things to say about Red Line Synthetic. Yes, it's pricier, but you can re-use it. Being synthetic, the alcohol readily seperates, and can be cooked off or allowed to set, then suck the alky off the top.

The oils you mentioned seemed pretty light and you have to be careful when using synthetics to only use oil designed for nitro/alky racing due to the heavy fuel dillution. Conventional synthetics don't handle the dillution very well.

I am switching Chris Foster's TAFC over to Red Line. We plan to change it every run, then cook the alky out at the shop, then reuse.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  8. racer313g

racer313g New Member

We've used ULX-110 for years. PM me for details.

9. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

Just as a side note for all you guys feeling bad about oil changes,

I was on a N/A engine building board the other day and the trick synthetics in 0-5w give them about 9 extra hp, the big problem is that the oil (additive package) only lasts 3-4 runs then they have to change it and its $ 15.00 a quart:eek:

Thank god for blowers and Brad Penn ;)

R/G

10. Dragsterbus

Dragsterbus Member

Anyone running Lucas oil ? if so any good ?

11. fastavenger 588

fastavenger 588 New Member

lucas is what we run

we realy like it but boy is that 70 wt like peanut butter:Dit clings very well and it takes 30 min to wash the oil pan:D we have ran in the 3s with it never had a bearing prob

12. J Jackson

J Jackson New Member

Ok Will, tell me more about how to cook off the alcohol. I like running synthetics and I need to learn this trick!

Jeff

13. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

tec 1.. 10w30 wal-mart:D:D...ok for real Brad Penn and valvoline 50 or 60 w.

14. crashly

crashly Member

put it in a steel pan, sit in on the bbq ( i use the lpg gas burner) , and softly ( gentle heat ) warm the oil..
    the methanol with boil and evaporate off, once all the methanol is gone, the oil will no boil / foam up in pan...

do it in open area, NOT inside

then pour back into engine or container

15. GregM784

GregM784 Member

I run Valvoline VR1 50 weight in my blown alky small block. After the weekend is over, i drain the oil into a 16 quart pot. I simmer on a low fire, keeping the oil at 180-200*, for about 20 minutes. This is outside the shop, on a camping stove actually, you will want VERY good air circulation.You can watch the oil change colors as the alky/water leaves. Afterwards, i run it thru a restaurant sized coffee filter, and right back into the sump. Clean, warm, and no alky.

16. nmro2114

nmro2114 Member

I put my oil in a 5 gallon bucket with a screen over it and use a small fan to evaporate the fuel.I stir it up every so often to make sure all of the fuel stays at the top for evaporation. It works great but does take longer than heating.

17. periclase

periclase New Member

Will this work for oil contaminated with nitro?

Andrew.

18. gregl

gregl Member

Amsoil 60 wt.I will try the cooking deal.I throw it away after every weekend and that gets expensive.Bearings always look good.I replaced my C&A rods after 75 laps and left the main bearings in there they looked so good.A good used bearing is better than a bad new bearing.HaaHaa

19. jerry hunt

jerry hunt New Member

Brad penn oil 70 wt, im a dealer on here and will mmake you a great deal on quanity. If i can help please call 314 568-2633 Jerry Hunt

20. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

you cant go wrong with the 70wt brad penn and jerry is a great guy to deal with