What is wrong with this pic?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Jezman, May 4, 2011.

1. Jezman

Jezman Member

Here is a pic of a recent problem in our engine. Can some one point it out?

[​IMG]

The lifter on the right has failed only on the top half. This lifter was the intake #5 the lifter on the left was on the exhaust #5. This is inside a brand new IDT Block, Brand new lifters, New Manton pushrods, it is a Ford Hemi Blown Big block. I have my speculations on what has caused this but professional help much needed.
    This problem occured after 35 seconds of idle to 6500 rpm's.

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  2. underby6

underby6 Active Member

Did the pushrod jump the cup? More info would help....

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

3. Jezman

Jezman Member

No, the valve spring was not compressed as much as the rest during the post starting check. Then it was discovered that the lifter was stuck in the bore. The top of the lifter missing is a result of trying to remove it. It is stated in the original post brand new Pushrods from Manton. This is the only damage noticed in the whole engine other wise, I would have posed pics of other parts as well.

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

What size oil restrictor hole do you have in the plug in the back of the motor? On the Carol Carter BBF blocks I had to grind out the block behind the lifters so the lifter bar and pins didn't rub against the block. Also I found that there is a certain way around the lifter pair had to go in because of the slight difference in angle of the intake and the exhaust pushrods.

5. Jezman

Jezman Member

The oil restriction hole is fine as per IDT specs oil was not found on the number 5 exhaust rocker. Look at the picture closely and you will see why. The lifter placement is fine. Look closely in a slight difference in the rockers near the top.

6. TAD240

TAD240 New Member

Lifter

I didn't really follow all that, but check the pair of lifter holes center to center and make sure they match the others. If that pair of lifter bores are not spaced correctly, the bar could force the lifter to push against the side of the bore. Just a thought. Good Luck.

7. cpgeneration

cpgeneration New Member

roller lifter

What is with the small Hole?? Are those the same OAL ? one looks longer.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I realize that there is no small hole but we are looking at opposite sides on each lifter. Does the left lifter have a small hole on the backside or not? That hole is so the pushrod gets more oil during the cycle and if missing should not cause the lifter to stick in the bore. Usually for a lifter to stick in the bore is because the supports around the roller axle have spread out and increased the diameter of the lifter. This was a problem with some of the BBF cams because the ramps on the cam lobes were too radical. They way we fixed that problem was to increase the rocker arm ratio and decrease the lift on the cam. If that ramp is too steep then too fast of a rpm change up or down can result in a bounce of the lifter on the lobe which impacts the roller and spreads the lifter supports. Reving the motor up too fast in the pits by snapping the throttle can cause that lifter to bounce on the cam lobe ramp if it is too steep.

9. Jezman

Jezman Member

I should have shown you a photo of the back side sorry. There is no hole in that lifter at all! That lifter is solid every other lifter we have has a hole clear through. Here is my problem this lifter ( missing hole lifter) was the #5 exhaust lifter. The damaged one was the #5 intake lifter. I know Mike you know your Fords inside and out, all the other things you speak of were addressed. The cam and rockers are not a problem at all. The engine was primed off of the oil pump before starting. Assembly lube and grease were used liberally. I can safely say assembly was done properly and no signs of improper assembly were found.

Here is my question if the IDT Block is flowing oil properly, which we know it is the oil flows from the crank mains to the lifter bores, hitting the lifters on the right side first,#1-4 then cross over to left side hits oil pressure gauge on rear of block then into left side lifter bores #8-5. That is my understanding of how this oil flows in this block, If that is wrong then I need to know how it goes.
    But we know no matter how the oil flows the #5 exhaust bore being the first or last bore to receive oils is not ported on the top. I understand there are main holes to send oil through and the small hole is just to give a extra shot of oil to the rocker and head. I don't think so because on this engine oil only enters the head from the pushrods on the head. Oil flow around the top of the #5 intake lifter was obviously an issue, Now is it not such a dam coincide that only the top of the lifter next to the lifter missing ( a drilled hole ) its supposed to be oiling hole fails:?

10. hines

hines Member

broken lifters

I have been were you are going. Got a few questions. What size lifters are you using? What size roller do you have? What size cam do you have? What rocker ratio do you have? What oil system do you have? Do you have external drain backs on the heads?

11. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Your oil flow is correct. The question is what part of the lifter expanded so it became stuck in the bore? I cannot see any scuffing on the lifter in the picture. I do agree that the little hole should be there but the lack of that would have just burned up a pushrod tip during a run. I do agree that it is odd that it was the same lifter that had the problem. Maybe that lifter missed out on something else in the making. Hopefully that the lifter was the only damage.

I always used a Dremel tool and made a slight scratch between that small hole and the cutout area for the big hole to increase oil flow to the pushrod. Only did it on one side of the lifter because you can get too much oil up in the head. We also used a .068" hole in the oil restrictor plug.

Something else I learned was to use and old type hand pump oil can with a round metal ball type tip to squirt oil in the valve adjuster hole down into the pushrod prior to the first start each day. The ball tip fitted tight against the rim of the hole in the adjuster screw. If we didn't do that then it would burn a pushrod tip every once in a while. I later switched to tool steel adjusters and Manton tool steel tip pushrods. It was too much of a pain to prime using the oil pump and we would burn up the starter motors if we spun the motor over too much to prime the oil.

12. Jezman

Jezman Member

The lifters are .800 can't remember exactly but they are not the .9 ones.
    Rocker ratio 1.75 intake, 1.65 exhaust. The cam is a Carol Carter spec don't remember off hand all the specs, but it is his design and the best one for our application.
    It is a dry sump oiling system with external drains on the rear of the heads.

13. Jezman

Jezman Member

You cant see in the picture behind the galling was a definite brown spot from heat build up. I will post up more pics in a bit of the bad lifter. The metal build up on the lifter wont come off. I cant tell if it is from the lifter and the bore in the block is not nearly as bad as the lifter. The IDT block is definately a hard mix of metal.

14. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Have you tried a lifter from another cylinder in the bores to see if it is still good. Carol Carter's cams are good and he stays away from the radical rams.

Hopefully that is was just a defective lifter and the problem will just go away.

15. Jezman

Jezman Member

We put a new lifter back in the hole and no clearance problems the bore is scratched but we have not run it yet. This happened Sunday,

16. Jezman

Jezman Member

Two more pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

So I wonder if there was a problem in the harding of that lifter. It still seems strange that it is the one without the hole almost like it missed a stage in the manufacturing. That has to be related to the problem somehow. Just too much of a coincidence. Have you checked all the other lifters for holes and galling.

18. Jezman

Jezman Member

Last Pic.

[​IMG]

19. Jezman

Jezman Member

The lifter that failed has a hole just next to the lifter without the hole, Have not been able to get to taking the rest out yet. Kind of pissed because it is unnecessary that this happened. Has put a big dent into our schedule. Forgot to mention that an very acute observer noticed the color change at the zoomes exhaust exit, on cylinder 5 indicating too much heat in that area not excessive just more then the rest. Also the cam and roller end were not damaged in any way. The roller did not spread on the lifter.

20. OwnBlock

OwnBlock Member

looking at your later piks it does appear to show rubbed & or oil starved.
    dont the oil feeds for the lifters in the blocks run on the outer (cylinder) side?
    the lifters i use have the oil hole 90 degrees to what yours show -crower, and cant be fitted the wrong way round as one side is blocked, carrol can supply these, i cant recall part no at mo.

with no oil showing at #5 ( its also the last pair to see oil ) while priming could it be the oil feed drilling is not quite in line with the lifter oil hole, if so you could aleviate this by grinding a very thin groove in the lifter to line up with the main feed, some manufactures do this to theirs calling them some name like high pressure design- or the like.

if no oil is showing at no. 5 while priming, and rotate motor while doing this, then there is an issue, stop - check - sort, you could fit an accumulator to assist to give more hands free for you, ( i always look to see oil running down ALL the rockers before i press - start now.

not sure what cyl heads you have but i threw away my external drains and drilled oil drains through my heads to utilise the drains that are drilled on the outer side of the block.

check push rod isnt binding anywhere at all aspects of lift, could cause to put slight pressure on lifter.

its too late on this one now, but double check the tie bar doesnt bind the lifters at any point while rotating motor by hand during checking & checking & checking & more checking.

mike discussed earlier, about grinding of the pushrod -lifter 'slot' on the block so the lifter slides absolutely uninhibited prior to installing the pushrods, check the tie bar is clear in this area also - inlet lifter, especially when lifter is on base of cam, as there is a very small ledge in this area, i like a little safer clearance here.

Last edited: May 6, 2011