What is parity in TAD?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by scott hall, Apr 24, 2014.

1. scott hall

scott hall Member

Just curious what "Parity in TAD" would look like.

There is always "the best driver" & "the best tuner" and "the best working car" that will rise to the top. I have seen this since I got started in 1984 with Bill Walsh.

The class will always have a group of racers that have their combination working best for a given month, season, or even decade. How can it be that we average out a class based on the top 5 represented with each combination?

The 1987 NHRA rule book had 7 different weight breaks for different combinations in the class. Most of us would love that again, and it worked well.

My dad, Rick Santos, and Mike Miller had there lifes work parked becasue a few influential people got scared and did what it took to get rid of a "loop hole" in the rulebook as I was told later on.

Im interested to see what Parity is to those who post here.

Scott Hall

2. pennance

pennance Member

I genuinely think parity is unattainable given the variances of combinations and as Reehl had said technology evolution.

You have to look back at that era you are referencing to get a better idea of how we got to where we are now. In that time the animal was the blown hemi. The small blocks and the nitro cars and the automatic equipped cars were a non issue because of the lack in advancement in technology then. Guys like Kosky,Conway, Barney,Payne and Blaine RIP looked forward to ducks like Santos,Bushey,Topping and Stark. Then when they figured out the combinations and began winning races is when this all started. I visit with Rick "his shop is up the road" on a regular basis and he is definitely jaded over all of that. I cant blame him one bit. Us Nitro guys work STILL goes to the back of the line at his shop. RIP his dad also.

Its NHRA that has been mostly to blame for the acrimony in this situation for lack of solid decisions regarding this class.

The only way to achieve parity and keep it like it is would be to change it to .90 class racing and what fun is that?

NHRA ill bet never dreamed it was ever going to be anything but blown hemis that were successful.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  3. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

I agree, and that's why TAFC should NEVER entertain adding nitro cars to their class. They are ultra competitive as they stand right now.

4. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

I disagree with that statement. If you look at NHRA promod after the rule revisions last year all 3 combos are pretty evenly matched on any given day.