what happened in montgomery

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

i figured i would post myself to clear up the air what happened. i got back to jason's last night and seen the word had hit the internet. here's the facts, and its all i'm going to say about it.

we broke a finger off our clutch in first qualifier. it was pretty nasty inside the bell housing. we also broke a rocker stand. we were able to get ahold of brad anderson quick enough to get the parts for the rocker stand overnighted saturday delivery. while accessing the clutch damage, artie allen offered his spare clutch. saturday artie decided he couldn't loan out his clutch or flywheel. there were several offers nationally friday night that could have been shipped. i guess we just need more spare parts.

congrats to guy kelly for the win. we'll be back in houston!

[ April 05, 2004, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Will Hanna ]

2. Will Hanna

Staff Member

to further clear the picture...

there was some miscommunication in the situation. bottom line is it isn't another team's responsibility to supply us parts. we have nobody to blame but ourselves for not having the necessary parts on hand to fix the situation.

3. Rapid Randy AA/FA

Rapid Randy AA/FA Comp Eliminator

Will, what/whos clutch do you run in the car? What is your cubic inch also?? Just wondering.

Thanks,

Rapid :cool:

4. Will Hanna

Staff Member

we were running a crower 10". our theory on the clutch is obviously, the fingers may have had too many runs on them. they are inspected before every race, and showed no signs of wear. there is a fairly large bump in the right lane that caused a significant spike in driveline rpm. the clutch went nuts almost immediately afterwards. coincidence?

we run a 451 brad motor. it is the conway combo.

5. Rapid Randy AA/FA

Rapid Randy AA/FA Comp Eliminator

So the theory is the car unloaded a bit, got the tire speed up, when the clutch tried to pull the motor back to it, tore up the clutch/fingers? Sorry to keep asking all the questions. Just curious is all.

Rapid [​IMG]

6. Will Hanna

Staff Member

its hard to say exactly what happened or why. kinda seemed more like a freak deal than anything. only one finger broke.

7. Hemi Parts

Hemi Parts Top Fuel

Will, I have three clutches here. Two all titanium and one aluminum. One titanium is fresh back from Crower being certified. The other will certify just fine. The aluminum has not been run since certified but it has run out again.

Bill

8. Will Hanna

Staff Member

shoulda called. new clutch will be at the shop friday... hope the old one is salvageable for spare. its debatable. i trust bob's judgement.