What gear oil for supercharger?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Mac, May 28, 2011.

1. Mac

Mac Member

I have a 14-71 Littlefield HH retro. What gear oil are you guys running?
    Any brand better than the other? 75w90?

2. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

oil

If you are asking about the supercharger, you can't go wrong with 2 cyl oil. If it's the rear, that's fine. don

3. Mac

Mac Member

Yes I'm asking about the supercharger front gear case. What are you talking about the rear? I have heard of guys running the 2 stroke oil but I have never used it in a blower

4. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

Oil

Sorry didn't read all the title. Just go get the 2 cyl. oil and use it. I was talking about the rear in the car. in the other post about the heavy oil. The idea of the 2 cycle oil is if a seal goes, and oil gets into the fuel system , it will burn the oil and not hurt anything. There is some really good oil out there now. Don

5. blitzkrieg

blitzkrieg Member

Supercharger lube

Brad penn makes oil just for superchargers

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

SSI and other blower makers want you to use gear oil for the gears. Synthetic gear oil works great 75W90 GL5.

7. Peacemaker AFC

Peacemaker AFC New Member

Gear Oil

ALWAYS run 2 stroke oil in the gear cases of a supercharger. If for some reason that the inner seals blow out if will not rod the engine 98 percent of the time like regular gear oil will. Look at it like this 2 stroke oil will burn unlike gear oil but will smoke like hell when it floods the engine with it but at least you will be able to take it home in 1 piece instead of a bunch of milk crates. I have seen firsthand what running gear oil will do.

8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Peacemaker a couple of questions for you or anyone else out there. I have heard this about 2 stroke oil for many years but if I talk to SSI or other blower manufactures they say to use gear oil and not 2 stroke oil. The question is how many times have we seen a seal actually blow and pump oil into a supercharger. I never have. It would seem to me that if the blower is well maintained that will never happen. The other things I have always wondered about is why will mixing that small amount of oil cause a problem other than smoke in the motor and why is it that if it does cause a problem then why will 2 stroke oil stop the problem but the gear oil will not. They are both oils. What SSI told me is you are trying to lubricate gears and gear oil has a special climbing quality so it climbs up the gears and lubricates the mesh area and a 2-stroke oil does not. I have often wondered if the 2-stroke oil is just a myth that has been pasted down for many and many years.

9. craig moss

craig moss Member

I think that myth started when the screw deals started using 2 stroke oil.Not near as much of a load on the gears compared to a roots.I run syn. I have had the seals leak. I only run syn. GEAR lube in all 4 of the roots I've had.Psi recomends 2 stroke oil in the screws,but I use a 10-30 syn. in the screw I have now.

10. blown375

blown375 New Member

Actually Mike , I don't know if something changed but back in 06 when i ran a SSI , SSI recomended that i run 2stroke oil ?

Also back a couple years ago one of the big name Kobelco blower guys used a rash of bad seals that failed.... ALOT !
    I saw several guys that had the rotor seals fail after only 2 or three passes !

11. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

So why does 2 stroke save your motor and gear oil doesn't. The amount that leaks is pretty small. Both Rich and TJ at SSI told me to use gear oil.

12. Money Shot

Money Shot Member

gear oil

I run 75-90 in my blower. The thought of lightweight 2 cycle oil that wasnt designed to lubricate gears makes me uneasy. I have a friend that runs 2 cycle oil in a 14 71 roots. However, His blower is not tight and turns freely. I would think a higher load on the gears (Tighter Blower) would require more protection.

13. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

only if you new how many blowers pass through my shop with bad gears from 2-cycle oil..and you no who you are:p..dave

14. Peacemaker AFC

Gear oil

I had a friend of mines alcohol funny car that we were racing and the guy tuning the thing asked Fred are the seals in the blower good and he said yes and Rob told him we will sure find out. He ran it down the track went to step off the pedal and the seals let go flooded the engine with gear oil which wont burn in an engine and kicked 4 rods out the side and destroyes the crankshaft etc. The good thing about using 2 stroke oil is it will burn in the engine unlike gear oil. I understand that SSI says run gear oil even Mert says it bu we have always run 2 stroke lucas oil in the gear case and have never had a problem with oiling the gears can get a synthetic lucas 2 stroke oil also if you are worried about it. Just trust me please Ive been around blown funny cars for almost 19 years and have watched quite a few people F*** up by not listening. If you want to hear it from someone that worked with Steve And Gary Rettell at their dyno shop pm mike gibbs f/c matchracer on here and he will tell you the same thing. or give him a shout at 615 308 3191

15. Peacemaker AFC

Gear Oil

Everyone has a preference but how long do these engines really run? not more than a few seconds under power.

16. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

we run what we run in the motor

17. BigB

BigB New Member

Thats exactly what Littlefield told me to put in my blower , not three weeks ago.

18. overkill69

overkill69 Member

oil

we were told conventional gear oil detonates just like motor oil...Redline synth supposedly does not detonate so for simplicity we ran the 60wt engine oil in our Kobelco per DMPE. Yes,they had lots of seal problems.
    I think 2 stroke oil will live fine in the blower. Ask Lenco what kind of garbage they want in their gearbox.

19. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

I was thinking that LF and SSI both told us to run motor oil :confused: although I always thought gear lube would be better.

20. andy wilfong

andy wilfong Active Member

In regards to running gear oil over motor oil, the gears in today's superchargers run tighter tolerances than gear mfg.'s really care for, but in superchargers they need to be that way. So a heavy gear oil will actually pit and wear the gears, I always recommend a motor oil of 50 to 60 wt or a light weight gear oil if one chooses, as for 2 stroke oil, in the old days it was used in case the old leather seals did leak, but today's seals usually, I said usually, don't have a problem, yes there was a problem with the kobelco seals for a while, but Darren at DMPE worked very dillengently to resolve that situation, I have seen a lot of blower gears in 32 yrs of building these things and motor oil works just fine, the most important thing in any of these is that there is enough of it in the frt cover,