Welding Question?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Bob Kraemer, May 1, 2005.

1. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

What type of welding process are gold coded or gold coated tungsten used for?
    I know it is for tig welding which I do, but I have never heard or seen this type of tungsten used before?

2. jeragsters

jeragsters top fuel sand

Its an alternative to thoriated electrodes.

3. Rusty Kramer

Rusty Kramer New Member

Orange or 2% ceriated work great for 4130. Better arc starts than thoriated.. The 1.5% lanthanated is supose to work well also. I have never tried them. You can use either one of these instead of the Red 2% thoriated you are probably using?
    No matter what type you use make sure you have invested in a dedicated tungston grinder. If you are not using one you gotta have it.

[ May 06, 2005, 02:29 AM: Message edited by: Rusty Kramer ]

4. jeragsters

jeragsters top fuel sand

Stay clear from the grinding dust of red.Blue,orange and gold are alternatives or non-radioactive.

5. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

What type of grinders do you recommend for Tungsten? I usually put them in a battery drill hold it vertical and sharpen against my grinder or belt sander with a fine grit wheel or belt.
    Is the chemical process for sharpening tungsten any good?
    Thanks for the info
    Bob

6. Rusty Kramer

Rusty Kramer New Member

Bob Try arc-zone.com or tigdepot.com. They have hand held tungston grinders for $200 and up. If you have a local welding supply shop they may be able to get one. These use a diamond wheel. I have tried every type of sharpening method and this is the only way to keep contamination out of the tungston.. It grinds away from the tip and you may be sanding across the tip. I have seen longer tungston life, less contamination etc. I think the brand of the grinder I have is Sharpie.
    Let me know if you need further help.