Webster's def. of Parity

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Darren Nicholson, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Darren Nicholson

Darren Nicholson New Member

Parity = 1) equality in power, value and etc... 2) equality of value at a given ratio between diferent kinds

Power = 1) ability to do or act. 2) vigor; force; strength

These are 2 brief definitions of the 2 words, as per Webster's dictionary, that I have heard talked about regarding the diference between the two types of cars currently racing under the class TAD. Parity seems to be the topic, although all the racers involved know that parity will never be acheived. Look at Webster's def. of Parity. Webster defines equal in parity as equal in power. When you have 2 cars racing in the same class and producing diferent levels of horse power, parity will never be acheived.

A blown TAD runs a fuel pump that delivers approx 18 gpm and we're shifting them around 10,500 rpm to produce the boost required to run low to mid 30's.

A-fuel cars typically run a fuel pump that delivers 30 gallons per minute at 8,000 rpm. This would indicate the horse power difference.

Parity = simular power

NHRA has a huge task in front of them. As far as the fuel cars are concerned I would love to drive one if the car owner had the courage to mount a super charger on top of it.

Darren

[ October 24, 2003, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: Darren Nicholson ]

2. mitch myers

mitch myers Guest

Darren,
    You are being misinformed my son. Please stop by my trailer and I will give you a tour to include a very up close veiwing of the fuel pump dept. This guided tour will also include a special 10 minute dip into the computer section for viewing of actual runs that will clear up any miscoseptions you have about the size of pumps or the volume of fuel used by an A/fuel car.

3. Darren Nicholson

Mitch, you're right I have no idea on the fuel pump sizes used on the fuel cars. All I know is that they make alot more horse power. I have my doubts that parity will ever be acheived. I changed the number on my post, is this closer?

4. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

i think what happened is one of the blown racers were talking to nhra over a regular cell phone instead of a sprint pcs phone. nhra thought they said 'parody' instead of 'parity'....... :D :D

5. T.Smith

T.Smith Top Dragster

Darren, tell him to do it because, man they are a hoot.

[ October 24, 2003, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: T.Smith ]

6. mitch myers

mitch myers Guest

Darren, Much closer at 30 gpm, although most all return a large portion of that.....you know the old dropped cyl. deal. If you should ever be where we are testing I would be more than happy to offer you the experience to make a pass in my car....free of charge! Maybe this next spring at phoenix or Tuson if we happen to meet up there.

7. The Zone

The Zone Member

Can I Can I, please, please, please :D :D

Dean

8. Darren Nicholson

Mitch, WOW!! What an offer. Beleave me I would enjoy that and thanks for the offer, but I'm pretty dedicated to the Edgcombe's and Red-Line Oil.
    Let me ask you what changes would you like to see take place in an effort to level the playing field?
    I personally would like to see some blower overdrive changes or allow us a bigger blower and the ability to make some changes in the cylinder heads and bore spacing that would make it possible to run rockers arms with more ratio.

9. Rapid Transit

Rapid Transit New Member

Will, (That was pretty funny!) :D

10. mitch myers

mitch myers Guest

Darren, Ithink that any of those would pick up performance....unfortunitly the all cost lots of cash. The weight deal will help, but it wiil effect us at a lot of the events that we may be slower at also due to the heat. Hell, you were at Sacramento and Medford....parity is a two sided street. I'll see you guys in Vegas. I'll bet it is going to be brutal....What do you think the bubble will be?

11. Darren Nicholson

No doubt about it. Speeding up the B-AD cars will cost big bucks to all the teams running a blower but will they do it? I think so. We would love to run some 5.teens as well. Will this be expensive? Absolutly. Will it create more oil downs? Absolutly. So now NHRA is forced with slowing the A-fuel cars down and not allowing us to speed up. Like I stated before NHRA has a huge task in front of them. I, like most, feel NHRA does not have the tested back round knowledge to make changes in our class to create parity. Gear ratio limitations and weight brakes are handicaps. I would hate to see handicaps put on someone that has worked so hard to profect their combination to be uncompetitive. Remember parity is equal in power. I think NHRA needs to concentrate on that.

12. was R4K

was R4K Member

Handicaps work well in top fuel and I don't hear any complaints from PRO.

13. Darren Nicholson

was R4K, what handicaps are you talking about being used in top-fuel? I don't understand. All professional catagories, wether it be top-fuel or pro-stock bikes all these classes are regulated based on HP and aerodynamics. Exactly what handicaps are you referring to being used in top-fuel?