VP M5 fuel.. anybody have any experience with it?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by isracing, Mar 3, 2010.

1. isracing

isracing New Member

I heard stories that it has something special in it, and makes a lot more power than the regular fuel, I run ERC Methanol right now, and was considering trying the M5 stuff. Any input/thoughts/real world opinions on this fuel?

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I bet if you did a search on this site using "M5" you would find several posts.

3. Scouder

Scouder New Member

Unfortunately, Mike, we can't search on this site if the word is less than 4 characters. Believe me, there are alot of words in our sport that have 3 letters that you can't search on. Hat, pan, BV, cam, MSD, TAD, TD, oil are some that are search worthy that pop to mind in the time it takes to write this sentence. It makes it a little tough to search for VP M5 fuel when you can't search for VP or M5! :eek:

-Scouder

4. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Here's one

this should help

http://www.insidetopalcohol.com/showthread.php?t=29410

There are more, I geuss you'll have to scroll through them to find some.

From what I can remember reading, it requires you to richen by about 3-5% and lower the timing. Its several % increase in power, it stinks, it changes plug readings, its expensive, depending on the Asso. its illegal.

5. isracing

isracing New Member

Tried it Mike, and like they say it's too short... so I tried "M5 Fuel" and "M5 VP" with no luck... trust me I'm board saavy and only post when looking before I ask :)

I actually think I read that post in the past that was linked up above before but there is no real world experience in it, looking for something like "I used to run regular, switched to M5 and had XXX results"

6. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

"I have used M-5 at the track and on the dyno. And to be perfectly honest, I hated it. The plugs are VERY hard to read and tune, with all of the additives that are mixed in.

Start with Pure methanol and really learn your plug readings cleanly, and learn the tune-up well. Once you've done that, maybe then start to play with these additives.

Lonnie Houde"

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Sorry guys I didn't know that you couldn't search on short words. I wonder if that is a setting that Will Hanna can get changed. I will try to use longer words from now on such as Methanol Five instead of M5 (lol)

8. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

9. Scouder

Scouder New Member

10. BrianD

BrianD Member

I ran M5 in a open wheel midget (injected). I thought it woke the car right up making it snappy but I had always thought the baseline tune-up for the car was always a little on the fat side. The car not being mine it was easier to convince the car owner to run a different fuel then it was to start leaning on it. I could notice that running the car seemed louder and had a slightly different smell as compared to the other cars on the track. I did really like the fuel and would run it again.

11. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Sorry Brian but you said a "slightly different smell", wow is that an understatement in using it in dragracing. It reminds me of a grandmother type of perfume (lol) some drivers cannot take it for long inside the car because it is so bad. Standing next to a car staging with it can be bad also if the wind is just right.

12. youngtuner

youngtuner Member

Is this M5 fuel nhra legal for pro mod and alcohol classes?
    Anyone done any dyno testing with it?
    Thanks
    Jonathan

13. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

No, it is not legal in NHRA alcohol classes and you can't sneak it in because of the smell.

14. youngtuner

youngtuner Member

wouldn't be worth trying to sneak it passed getting branded a cheater isn't worth it.
    maybe I'll try it in my comp car during some testing runs.
    any idea how much a gallon it is?

15. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

m-5

Not cheap But I guess it depends on how much you are use to paying for Alky. Don

16. isracing

isracing New Member

Great opinions, I will definately try it this year once I get a handle on my current setup.

I got quotes of around 8 bucks a gallon compared to like 2 something I'm paying now.

17. mark6052

mark6052 Member

I sell the VP fuels in spokane. the m-5 goes for a 1.00 more a gallon than the m-1. as for the $2+ stuff, thats been covered before. :rolleyes: I have used the m-5 in high altitude, it worked alittle better.