VIDEO: 2012 NHRA Winternationals Mike Austin Crash

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by LesMayhew, Feb 11, 2012.

1. LesMayhew

LesMayhew New Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVZPzHgcncw

My heart was in my throat for a while before Mike got up out of the wreck. I wonder if that piece of body panel coming off upset his car enough to get that out-of-shape?

2. Charles Stewart

From what I see, that piece shreeded apart because of the twist of his chassis when he try to correct his ride, but I'm not sure of his impact in that crash...
    Just my opinion...
    Charles Stewart

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  3. ITS IN MY BLOOD

Something funny about that right front wheel too,.about 250 feet out 0r @13 seconds into clip.
    I wonder if the chassis broke right after the launch which caused the distortion in the chassis resulting in the body panal braking loose,...????? sorry it is mear speculation, just wasnt looking normal in the front end.

Extremly Glad Mike walked away from this kinda of crash, and nobody was hurt...!!!!!

Vic

4. Mark Leigh

Mark Leigh Member

I agree Vic, I think the chassis had an issue as the body came off in a chunk just before he hit the cone, it looked like the chassis was not straight anymore at that moment.

Glad Mike is OK,

5. Kurt - Prostart Race Cars

That's what I thought, it looked like the left rear tire went down but it didn't. Scary crash, great to see all are O.K., that camera man is a lucky boy for sure.

6. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

7. danrace

danrace New Member

if you look at the spot the body panel comes off it actually bows out at the exact time the car begins to head for the centreline it seems to be tracking straight until that panel bows out then eventually comes off when he gets over near the centreline it seems, like as said above, the frame or cable broke right there you can only see that on les footage from the stands . Very scary moment not much he could of done i think once it broke he was along for the ride.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  8. Creech

Creech Member

And it looks like the front tire never turn, like in a bind or something.

Marty

9. Matt Cummings 2380

Matt Cummings 2380 New Member

I had the body panel on the left side of the dragster I was driving in Chicago open up past half track. About a four foot opening. I don't remember feeling it effect the way the dragster went down the track, just that I could see the track though the opening and there was daylight around my legs.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  10. spitzerscott

spitzerscott Member

Robert, can you or someone else explain more on this cable car?

11. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

A cable car basically has no diagonals in front, and the uprights are allowed to slide a bit to allow more chassis flex. Wire cables are strung from the footbox, down to a pulley in the center of the front half, then up again to the top cross member by the steering box. The cables are tightened until the chassis is straight and the body panels fit.

12. TAD529

TAD529 Member

Mike Austin

Looks like Jim Whitely is helping Mike. Mike has entered the Vegas National event with what appears to be Jim's old car and YNOT racing sponsor Good luck Mike