Valve retainer problems

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by OKC-Oilie, Apr 18, 2004.

1. OKC-Oilie

OKC-Oilie Funny Car

Anybody have a reliable way of checking titanium valve retainers, looking for cracks, etc? Lost a motor in Houston due to retainer. BAE 5 head. Thanks all! Wayne

2. flash

flash top alcohol

your not alone !! I lost a motor at houston because of retainer failure-brad 5 also. maybe its a houston thing!!don't have the answer to the question,but when you find out ,let me know!!

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

So a question for both of you. How long had you been running those retainers. One season? two seasons??? Do you know how many runs on them?

4. OKC-Oilie

OKC-Oilie Funny Car

Well that could be part of the problem! Mike C, I really don't know how many runs on the reatainers. Quite a few I'm sure :rolleyes: What I'm trying to find out is if someone has a reliable way to check them out before the reainer gives way.

5. flash

flash top alcohol

as far as my failure ,13 passes on new retainers!

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Only 13 passes, that is pretty scary and expensive. I hope Boeing is not using the same material in their planes. Not that I want to knock any product but it would also be intersting to know if both of you are using the same retainer or not.

From what little I know because it has not happened to us yet the valve lock pull the center of the retainer down and out of the rest of the retainer. Is that what happended to both you guys.

I have seen wear patterns on the bottom outside of the valve lock barrel of the retainer that appears to be made by the inner valve spring rubbing/cutting against this part the retainer. Do any of your other reatiners show this? I read that Manley make a special tool to debur the inside upper edge of the inner most spring and I was wondering if that is why they make this tool to stop that wear.

7. flash

flash top alcohol

we spun the tires off the starting line and overeved the motor,but rev limiter caught it at 10400 rpm,but at that point it had already pulled the locks thru two retainers ,and there was more pulling thru also! funny thing is-we had two different style retainers on motor ,one design failed-all eight of them,one design looked brand new-all eight of them.both styles of retainers were made buy same manufacture. one was new design,one was old design,new design failed. manufacture said it was just bad luck!!

8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Flash, I have to by new retainers for our car. Please email me at mike.c@mindspring.com and tell who made them. Thanks

This is from Flatlander Racing Website
    http://www.flatlanderracing.com/

Manley Valve Spring Chamfering Tool
    Detailing valve springs is crucial to preserving retainer life
    ID chamfering of springs provides clearance and distributes stress along flat surface of retainer step rather than the corner radii

Part No. Description Price
    40174 Chamfering tool w/ 4 abrasive cones $67.95
    40175-12 Replacement abrasive cones (12) $19.95
    40176-25 Replacement abrasive cones (25) $35.95

9. Gary Mangiafico

Not trying to get into this brand is good and this brand is bad, however, I run a brad motor and I had the same problem when I was using Crane 10 degree locks and retainers. After doing some homework I switched to the Locks and Retainers that Tom Conway sells and I Never had a problem since.

When I was looking into this I took a lock and retainer set up with a valve and put the set up in a hydraulic press, and saw how much pressure it took to push the valve thru. Without looking in my notes Conways locks and retainers took a consideribly higher pressure to push the the retainer.

I also here people have very good luck with the locks and retainers from Victory Valve. However, I have NO experience with them.

Best of Luck,

Absolute Pleasure Racing LLC

Gary Mangiafico

10. ssr

ssr rookie

Anyone have a number for JT Stewart?

11. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Since you had a problem with two different style retainers, you're sure you weren't coil binding? What springs do you run and what was the installed height when you were done?

12. Fuel Cars

Fuel Cars AA/AM

Another problem might be what you are using to clean the Ti with. DO NOT use anything with chlorine as an ingredient in the cleaning solution.

Chlorine attacks most Ti and will eventually cause the material to get very fine cracks, which will fail under load.

Also, don't use carbon steel wire brushes to remove deposits from titanium.

Hope this helps.

Almost forgot, Cad plated tools will also cause the cracking, just not as fast.

[ April 20, 2004, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Fuel Cars ]

13. was R4K

was R4K Member

FUEL CARS- Great info- thks for sharing!!