Unlimited Roots Blower Advice

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Money Shot, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Money Shot

Money Shot Member

I run a Automatic Pro Mod and I am limited to a roots blower. I am also on a budget so a $10K+ blower is not in my future. I am currently running a SSI 14/71HH on a 555 BBC that makes around 26lbs of boost at 32 over. What would a Kobelco Superman 14/71 be worth compared to the SSI? Is there a better blower for the money?

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

That is not very much boost on the SSI. I have one car at 35% on a Rootes that is making a max of 38 lbs and at 8000 making 36 lbs. The Superman is an excelent blower and so is the DMPE M4. The new Littlefield LB20 maybe good but it is so new I have not seen results from it so you have to be real careful. I have seen a lot of racers burned by the newest and best blowersthat turned out to be a flop. A Superman is mainly designed for low OD such as 20% because you are limited on how fast you can turn the rotors so really you cannot go over 35%. The DMPE M4 is well within your budget at just around $8000 and that is a lot of bang for the buck for a new blower. It already comes fully modified so you don't have to pay again for the modifications. At 20% and at 8000 RPM they put out around 38-40 lbs of boost on a 526 motor.

You can crank up a lot of blowers to make boost but when you do that it takes more HP to drive then and heats the incoming air charge too much so the boost numbers look good but it just will not perform.

3. DMP Awnings

DMP Awnings Authorized Merchant

Roots Blower

I would agree with Mike 100% we have run the Kobelco k-8 HH Retro (not Superman )
    at 20% over it will give me 39lbs of boost on a 464 Hemi. Not trying sell something but I will be selling this blower now because we are going to a screw blower. If interested call me. Dean 320-584-8013

4. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Our SSI 8's are overdriven a little faster (43%) but they are only 8's and will do 30 lbs. Your heads I'm sure are better.

5. KennyKeller

KennyKeller New Member

I had a SSI "c" rotor and we made 36#s at 32 over.

6. Money Shot

Money Shot Member

Heads

Heads are indeed very good. 18 degree Chiefs that flow 540@ .900. Not so concerned about total boost as I am total HP. I am leaning towards the DMPE M4 or a Superman for next season. This old SSI is OK but severely outdated. Thanks for the input.

7. overkill69

overkill69 Member

superman

We run a K9 superman on a 540 big chief with average heads. it makes 42 psi at 8800 rpm 37%od. Our blower and hat are modified for high od so we have 43% in it for Tulsa this weekend. We have already gone 4.19 at 2900 lbs so we are pretty happy with it.The TAFC we got the blower from made 52 psi on a 526 at 55%od so we expect a decent gain in boost/performance.
    As mike said,most supermans don't spin fast but oddy and darren mayer both said to do it so we'll see what happens.

8. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

You are going to get a LOT of opinions here, so here is my experience....At "50% Over (what we used to run in IHRA TAFC...one of the BEST blowers I had was a DMPE modified K-11 (14-71) We "tried" a M5 but to be honest, I really think that was meant for lower O.D.s....got so hot you could fry an egg on it. ALSO had a PSI 14 and had a MUCH lower intake temp, a LOT less detonation and the strips lasted forever compared to the other 2????!!! Bottom line, my "favorite" was the K-11 but there were several other "factors" so we never really sorted out any of them.....Now I got ya REALLY confused!

9. Money Shot

Money Shot Member

Thanks for all the opinions. One last question. What would be the advantage to an 18/71 Kobelco vs. a 14/71 Superman or M4? Would it being bigger help or hurt?

10. overkill69

overkill69 Member

18-71

Ken Thomas and Bubba Stanton both ran record 3.80's with 18-71 Supermans. I think maybe the same blower. They don't spin very fast but probably don't need to. Wedge motors too.

11. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The larger the rotors the more horsepower it takes to turn it and the more heat it generates. As I talked about blower modifications is my previous post what you all don't know is how many modifications on these blowers that are on super performing cars have been done. There are several experts out there such as Al Billes, Darren Meyer, Chuck Ford, and Les Davenport (to name a few) can modify a blower for a small fee ($$$$$ lol) and make it perform. That $$$$ will put you right over your budget.

12. fasttimesracing

hey mike im spinning a ssi f rotor 55 over. would the mods make any difference on my blower or is it just for the lower od?

13. d.kirkalkyburner

I ve run 8-71 s from kobelco littlefield ssi and psi i have found the ssi to be much better than the rest. The new ssi deep pocket blowers are really performing well 526 at 43 over 53 pounds of boost 14-71 version before you buy give tj and rich a call first.

14. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Fasttimes, SSI can make a few mods to help. Which SSI series rotor do you have? With your 55% OD what max motor RPM are you hitting?

15. Money Shot

Money Shot Member

SSI B Rotor

Just found out I have an old B Rotor. Guess Ill turn up what Ive got and see what happens. Thanks for all the advice.

16. fasttimesracing

i have a f rotor. serial number was i think 943. make alot of air forsure. we are turning it 8800 right now. most runs are less than 2.5 sec . thats why i was asking about the hi speed in the other post.

17. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

The NEW SSI 6-71 Nost Blower is BAD ASS!

18. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

MoneyShot. Your SSI Series B should make more boost that it is. If you send it back to SSI and get new blacks on it will probably help unless the case is shot or it is leaking between the manifold and blower. Rich at SSI can also add sealing stripes to the end plates that can give you 1-2 more lbs.

19. Money Shot

Money Shot Member

Whites Only

I checked it out and the rotors have the white strips only. Blower turns pretty easily by hand. Dont know alot about blowers.....but it sounds like this one may need to be restripped. Thanks again for the advice Mike.

20. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

It should also have black stripes in the tips of the rotors. If not there would be an empty groove. If you can turn it freely by hand then it needs to be restripped. You will find that will make a lot of difference. Somewhere I have some boost vs OD data on the SSI B rotor. Give me a chance to look for it and I will send it to you via a PM. You also need to buy some Prizm Gel to spray into the blower to coat the rotors. This will stop you from wearing out the stripes as fast and make it seal better. That series B rotor takes a different shape and size white strip than most other blowers these days. You need to call Rich or TJ at SSI and buy it from them to make sure you get the right stuff. My recommendation is to send SSI the whole blower and have them go through it for you and also talk to them about adding end stripes. Do you know if that is a mag or alum case blower. A lot of them where mag cases. If you call SSI with the serial number they can tell you all about it. That is not a bad blower when it is fresh.