Two Step with a Blower

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by kgools, Oct 9, 2006.

1. kgools

kgools Member

I'm looking for some info on a two step on a blown application. I've seen some pro mods run a two step with a roots. We currently run a roots with an air throttle control so we can leave on the mat. We are changing over to a PSI and would like to put in some type of electronic control and get rid of the air lines. A couple of questions.

Does it hurt the blower or give you any chance of popping a burst panel.

Can I hook it to a 12 amp mag ?

Thanks,

Keith:cool:

2. B.DOUCET

B.DOUCET New Member

2 Step

I have a whipple at 45% on a chevy with a two step set at 4000 and it works great for me. I'm not taking any fuel away but some people I know are dumping a couple gallons on the limiter. I run a Crane electronic ignition with a digital controller. Two step shuts off at .010 clutch air gap.

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

In the ProMod world we found that taking fuel out on the two steop raises the heads because it goes lean so now we leave the fuel alone. We launch at 4700rpm with 23 psi of boost and hold on tight. It is a great way to launch. No problems yet. You do have to lower your launch rpm when you do it because of the increase in boost.

4. KDavidson

KDavidson Member

B.Douchet.

Personally I like the throttle limiter for starting line control. Seems a smoother way to tame the beast. Just my $.02. We run a KB Olds with a 36% OD 6-71 retro leaving at 3200 RPM and approx. 10psi boost

Keith

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Please describe you throttle limiter.......I know that racers use throttle limiters for burnouts then take them off for the run. I am not sure how you would use one for staging and the run.

We tried a pneumatic staging device and it was dangerous to use. If the driver sneezed he would launch.

6. kgools

kgools Member

I have a pnuematic now and it works well for staging. The problem is if you for whatever reason loose air pressure, it only opens the throttle the distance that you have it set to stage/launch (about 1/4"). I also have this air cylinder integrated into my linkage which is kind of a mess to deal with.
    Keith

7. KDavidson

KDavidson Member

Mike,

It is a pneumatic cylinder that goes in line between the throttle cable and linkage arm at the hat. It has a remote mounted solenoid. When you apply Co2 to the solenoid it passes through and closes the cylinder which makes the connection to the hat solid. (you can work the throttle normal, if you flor the pedal the hat goes wide open). When you APPLY the transbrake (in my application) it releases air from the cylinder and you can floor the pedal (because the overall cable length has extended due to the cylinder extending). You then adjust the butterfly opening to achieve the desired staring line RPM. When you RELEASE the transbrake the Co2 fills the cylinder and since your foot is on the floor, it rips the throttle wide open. They make adjustable needle valves to allow for slow to rapid application to allow tuning for slick tracks.
    I've used one for 4 years and would never consider a 2 step, just my opinion.

Keith

Mike for a picture click on the link below. You'll see the cylinder on the left side of the hat.
    http://www.dropshots.com/photos/169917/20061010/094755.jpg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  8. blown1020

blown1020 New Member

throttle stop

what brand of throttle stop do yuo run?

9. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

Acd Makes A Good Actuator, We Have Used Those And Are Tyring The Two Step Now.the Air Actuator Is Good For Making The Throttle Speed Opening Adjustable

10. kgools

kgools Member

It's a Biondo Launch Control and it works just like KDavidsons. It works ok, but you have to rely on trial and error to get you launch RPM's correct. I'm switching to the PSI and don't want to tear a bunch of parts up experimenting. The launch control does exactly what it's designed to do, I'm looking for adjustability.

Keith

11. KDavidson

KDavidson Member

We've used Biondo's controllers and have had great success with them on our 2 cars.

Keith

12. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

From what ProMods have been doing on the two step we have seen a lot faster 60' times because you have the boost at launch.

13. kgools

kgools Member

I'm not doubting that they work great. I have one. How do you set the launch rpm other than trial and error ?

Thanks,

Keith

14. KDavidson

KDavidson Member

Keith,

Not a big deal for us. We just put in on the jacks and after it's warmed up, we'll set the throttle opening to achieve the desired starting line RPM. Once that's set, we'll very rarely change it throughout the year. But yes trial and error is the only way, no magic chip to plug in. We may play with the application rate depending upon the track quality. It's easy for us, its a match race nostalgia alky funny car with a P/G tranny, so it stays consistent on the converter.

Keith

15. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

It is trial and error.

16. fathead

fathead New Member

2 Step

I Run A 2 Step With 44 Amp Mag,so I Would Imagine You Can Run It On Your 12 With No Problems.i'll Never Go Back To Air!i Run A Bae,littlefield Retro,2700 Lb Car,if It Helps Or Matters.

17. Shakedown

Shakedown Jr. Dragster

Helped Needed!!!

If you run a two step, are you using a air throttle control also to make this work? I need to leave about 3500 to 4500 but still have the controls to back timming off at the hit and slowly give the timing back going down the track. Any help would be appreciated.

18. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Just a two step....nothing else.

19. TOL

TOL Active Member

Mike, if I read correct, you are launching at WOT with the 2-step in effect and not dumping fuel? Do you see any issues re: plug fouling or EGT's way off?

20. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Yes that is just how we and other ProMods are doing it No problems yet.