?????Turbo??????

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Funnycarbob, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

With a Pro-Mod in the 5's with a tubro at 2850lbs.
    Could a TA\FC or a TAD run in the 4's with one or two?

2. Danny Humphreys

Gail Banks tried the top fuel turbo thing years ago.

3. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

Funnycarbob, are you speculating that turbo Pro Mods will be in the fives next year?

Gene Snow tried it on his Funny Car years before Gale Banks. Gave it up, said it was too quiet.

4. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

I saw the Banks turbo dragster run numerous times. The problem was that the boost wasn't up high enough when it left, but 60 feet out, the turbo would hit real hard, smoke the tires, float the valves, and destroy the turbos. It would have been impressive if they could have ever stuck it to the track.

5. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

6.02 in Orlando 2 weeks ago at 2800 LBS

6. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

From Competition Plus. Com

Kenny Knowling

CP – Will turbochargers be included in the program?

KN – Absolutely, they will. But, we will keep an eye on them. There will be a minimum number of cars invited to each race. We feel there’s a future in the class for them. We will monitor them closely with the assistance of some engine builders. It’s going to be a learning curve and those drivers have been put on alert that rule changes will be made liberally to adjust to their performance.

Everyone tells me that the turbo cars have always dominated every class they’ve entered. I don’t think you can necessarily apply that same logic here. I can't see a turbo car running 5.80s at 250 mph. However, if that did happen adjustments would be made. The IHRA has worked for years to maintain parity and we intend to do the same. It’s not that we are trying to get away from that with the 29% over for the blower cars and by adding turbo cars. We just feel that parity can be achieved with our changes. It will just be parity in the 5 second zone instead of the 6.20s.

[ December 11, 2004, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Funnycarbob ]

7. FAT HEAD JOE

FAT HEAD JOE racer

IS A TURBO LEGAL IN TAD OR TAFC ????

8. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

Hi Bob,

I like to think that I'm on top of things in the doorslammer world but I am completly in the dark on this one. I do know that Ben Bray ran 6.02 two weeks ago in Australia at 2710 with a PSI 518 BAE.

As far as I am aware Mike Moran's 6.25 is still the quickest turbo doorslammer run ever.

Can you fill me in on the details?

I'm not doubting you but this sounds a lot like the rumored 6.09 by a nitrous car at Bradenton a few weeks ago. That rumor was spread by someone with an ulterior motive. I wonder if this came from the same source?

Nick

Joe,

Turbos are not legal for TAD or AFC. Maybe they should be? :D

Nick

9. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

BTW, no matter how much TLR/AMS wants to promote 5 second doorslammers, I can find no current SFI specs for any such vehicle. Six flat is the current limit.

10. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

I stand corrected, It was a 6.25 but at all most 240

Thanks
    Bob

[ December 11, 2004, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Funnycarbob ]

11. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

Maybe Kenny Nowling should have consulted with alcohol racers about "parity". :D

Ben also ran 243mph at that race and father Victor has run a best of 245mph with the same combo.

[ December 11, 2004, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: Outlaw Nick ]

12. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

Gordie Bonin tried a FuelFC Turbo years ago with Little success. As he put it it either Did a Huge Wheelstand, Boiled the tires or Exploded! Mostly exploded!

13. dak

dak Member

Turbo's used to be legal in TAD.. along with nitros, multiple motors...I thnk it was Frank Parks ran a turbo V6 front engine TAD car ...It would leave and then it would smoke the tire..

14. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

From Comp Plus .com

We run a Big Dog also against him, we are fast and the best run we made is a 4.21. Thats on street tires and 2750 LBS

(12-12-2004) - Todd Tutterow ran an eighth-mile 3.990 elapsed time at 193.12 mile per hour on DOT street tires and blown small block at Farmington Dragway outside of Winston-Salem, NC. The quickest and fastest pass ever on a DOT legal race tire was done using the Hoosier 35x22.5x16 Quick Time Pro.

15. Alkyguy

Alkyguy New Member

As soon as somebody gets one to work it will probably get banned. 3 weeks ago at Englishtown they had a street car race. A 3000 lb small block twin turbo mustang with 10.5" tires ran 6.96 @ 207. Just imagine how fast an alky or fuel car could go with EFI.

16. Travis Q

Travis Q New Member

Actually, a friend and I contemplated running a twin turbo in an outlaw-style funny car, but could find no real place to race, so we went with the Outlaw Pro Mod deal instead. I would really like to see what someone willing to do some testing could do with a combination like this.....

TQ

17. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

If you need to know about twin turbos ask Buddy Ingersoll. He ran 200 mph in a pro stock car a long, long time ago with a (I think) 215 cid Buick. I saw him run at Dallas. NHRA only allowed him to run a couple of races in prostock before banning him and turbos.

18. LEN COTTRELL

LEN COTTRELL Member

Still not a new idea. We used to compete against a twin turbo car in TAD class (AA/DA back then) in the early 70's.
    Now for the rest of the story, it was called the "Golden Gator" and was driven by a character named Chase Knight, the same guy that still works for Crane Cams as their tech guy.
    Len

19. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

Len you also forgot they also ran the TURBOS with a blower under them! Mighty impresive looking! The golden gator. Mike

20. T.Smith

T.Smith Top Dragster