Transmission Bruno or lencodrive

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by jody stroud, Apr 24, 2008.

1. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

What is the diff. between a Lenco drive and a Bruno with a lenco back half. Any thoughts on which is the most reliable and simple to operate in a dragster? Or which is the most user friendly? Thanks

2. lowcountry71

lowcountry71 New Member

jody - even though i don't run a lencodrive and i have 2 bruno/lencos, i believe i can highlite some differences. (1) in the bruno/lenco the fluids are seperate - which gives you options of running different fluid types and no chance of breaking the lenco side and mixing it into the converter. (2) it is easier to work on the bruno/lenco where you can pull only the lenco instead of having to pull the whole lencodrive unit. (3) i believe the bruno/lenco tranny brake is faster releasing than the lencodrive - the bruno uses co2 and the lencodrive uses fluid which can change viscosity with heat. (4) the costs are about the same and they both can use the same converter input splines. (5) i have been told that the bruno/lenco is not nhra accepted due to it having an external braided steel pressure line whereas the lencodrive has it's fluids moving internally - but i think there is more to be told on this story because the bruno/lenco meets sfi specs. (6) both can be adapted to run a trick can. (7) i think they are very close to being the same overall length and they both run the same output splines. (8) you need to run a fluid cooler on both to keep from building up too much heat internally. (9) i know if you don't run a supercharger or nos on your motor you don't need to run a blanket on either tranny. (10) my guess is the the bruno/lenco can be lighter than the lencodrive because you have the ablilty to run 3 different types of lencos behind it - cs1, cs2 or cs3. (11) there is an option for the bruno called the prock device that allows turbo motors to help with spool time and converter slippage - eddie c. had one on his bruno/lenco at rockingham this past weekend but he said he doesn't use it - that it just came with the bruno. he also switched from a lencodrive to a bruno/lenco - ask him the performance differences. (12) i cannot get my bruno/lenco to hold starting line rpms past 5500 - it creeps on the starting line - you should ask what lencodrive users are able to stall out. (13) will has run a lencodrive and he also has good feedback on what it did for him. andy burnet

3. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

Thanks Andy, I've talked to Eddie. He likes the Bruno better also. Don't think I'll need to leave past 5500rpm's so that should not be a problem. Jody Stroud

4. TAFCforever

TAFCforever Jr. Dragster

Jody,
    I've been tuning a 7.50 funny car with a Lencodrive and Coan converter over the past 2 years. W/o giving away all my secrets, we do leave in the RPM range given w/o any problems with the trans-brake holding the car. We've used mobil 1 synthetic ATF for all 48 runs. We only had one problem with the transmission, but it was caused by the driving hitting the trans-brake button going through the lights. It smoked the trans-brake clutch out of it, but did not hurt anything else. It now has an interlock systsem, as recommended by Lenco, to prevent the trans-brake from engaging w/not in low gear. David at Lenco was more than fair with us on the repair and is always there when we have a question. If there is any drag race part supplier with better customer service, I'd be amazed.
    I'm in no way saying I don't like the bruno/lenco, I just don't have any experience with it.
    I'd suggest giving David a call at Lenco and get his opinion.
    p.s. As far as trans-brake release time, we had a -.007 red light the last time out and regulary are under .030 lights.