Tranny in the rig???

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Randy G., Dec 24, 2004.

1. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

My current rig has a 9 speed Eaton Fuller behind a CAT. I'm looking into a newer rig and have seen a couple that have Allison Automatics (no clutch pedal) behind 430-450 HP CAT or Detroits. I've also seen a couple that have the Arvin Mentor Freedom 12 speed which I believe Clint Thompson's rig has.

My question is really regarding the Allison. Are you owners pleased with the performance? Any ups or downs? The weight of my rig including the weight of the trucks I'm looking at would probably be around 50-55,000 pounds.

Thanks.

[ December 24, 2004, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: Randy G. ]

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Randy, that Allison automatic has been around a long time. They run the 6 speed Allison in the big diesel pusher motor homes at over 40,000 pounds and I have never seen or heard of one causing problems. I have close to 100,000 miles on my Allison and the only thing I do is change the fluid every 50,000 miles.

3. FAT HEAD JOE

FAT HEAD JOE racer

I KNOW THEY LIKE TO SPIN THE TIRES IN THE SNOW , OTHER THEN THAT I HEAR THERE PRETY GOOD .

4. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

Randy We had a fleet of snow plow trucks all with allisons. And some the not quite so good drivers.Never any problems. They shift nice and are smarter than most drivers. Merry Christmas @ happy new year to All. Kosky racing

5. mister know it all

mister know it all New Member

their is nothing wrong with the allison trans. local companies have them in their heavy duty wreckers and love'em they are not like the olden days.. allison has come a long way since the early days here are some up's and downs about them,, first and fair most you never have to worry about a clutch.. clutch adjustments, never have to worry about the clutch brake(going into gear hard,,grinding)stuck in traffic on the clutch off the clutch,, they are now set up so good with the engine brake, one of their trucks comes to almost a complete stop with out even touching the brake pedal,, i think that you need to get into one of those automatic trucks and see how nice it really is,,, also if it doesn't have a engine brake,, don't even buy it!!! unless you can get one added on at a local dealer also don't be fooled with the exhause brake... it is not a ENGINE BRAKE!!!!! and now it is time for the bad part!!! only thing that comes to mind is you might go thru a little more fuel,,, the trucks has to rev to a certain rpm before it will shift!! but over all most of you guys go thru 5 gallons in a 1/4 mile don't think it will effect you if your getting one less mile to the gallon!!!!!! oh before i run all oshkosh cement mixer's have allison trans and loaded up they are around 77.000 pounds

6. Maynard

Maynard none

In WA. its legal to run 105,500 lbs Truck and Trailer. I know that there are fleets of those allison trucks running at 120,000+ lbs on and off road. I haven't heard anything about failures. Maybe a little additional weight and maintanence.

7. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

I appreciate the info.

My main concern living here in SoCal is the grades. To go north it's the I-5 Ridge Route (6+ percent countinuous for 5 miles and 30-40 miles of up and down) and then the Cajon Pass is to the northeast which we have to take when going to Las Vegas or toward HWY 40 to get back east. I just wondered if there is even an overheat problem with the tranny and converter and how good of a job do they do along with an engine brake holding it at the speed limit going down hills? The Ridge Route has a down hill speed limit of only 35 MPH.

Thanks gain!

8. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

One good thing is that the Allison in new motor homes used to have a five year warranty and now I think it is seven years. You also can't get hung up between gears when down shifting manually. With the engine brake it should be really safe.
    If you want to get an experts openion call Randy Meyers he is a used truck dealer in Kansas.

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Randy my engine exhaust brake is connected via software to my Allison transmission and as I come down a steep road like Mount Eagle between Nashville and Chattanooga (which is a 7% grade) the exhaust brake will work with the transmission and keep the heavy motor home at whatever speed I want. The newer exhaust brakes are two stage so they don't apply as much braking if you only let half way up on the pedal. The best system is the Jake brake that actually uses the motor as a brake.

10. mister know it all

mister know it all New Member

that is a good point,, a engine brake slows the motor and the drive trian will follow,, those exhause brakes are ok, not saying they are bad,, but if you get like a cat motor in the "rig" those have 1,2,& 3 stage jake brakes or 2,4, & 6 best route to go!! good luck with your buy and please let us know how you make out!

11. mike tkach

mike tkach New Member

randy,what are you towing with now? the reason for me asking is i am in the market for a good used toterhome.thanks

12. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Mike:

It's a 1994 Kodiak with an Aerolite (Roadmaster) 11' conversion. It has all the options including a brand new tracking search/locking satellite dome for Dish Network (which I currently have) or Direct TV, VCR, fridge w/freezer, a/c, 7,000 watt generator, oak and velour lounge, leather captains chairs in loaded cab, power tinted windows, power door locks, upgraded tail/stop/turn signals to LED lights, air ride, air brakes, 12v to 110v inverter, bath (no shower), microwave, stainless sink with new custom two stage faucett, near new tires, stored indoors. 149,000 miles, well maintained and in very good condition. This originally belonged to Mike Troxel, and anyone who knew Mike Troxel will tell you how he took care of his stuff. Plus, it's registered as a motor home.

Asking $45,000.

email me at goodwinjrandy@cs.com