Torco

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Dave Germain, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Q - Will Torco be back?

LP - "Absolutely. We're not selling our race team assets and we are keeping our leases intact. We will be back in 2009 running for championships.

These are quotes from Latrell Preston, Chief Financial Officer for Torco Racing Fuels that were posted on Drag Race Central. But another question that might be asked-will the teams formerly sponsored by Torco be back? I understand that Evan Knoll has some very serious health issues but cutting all those teams off at the ankles? I had applied for a Torco Dealership because I use and love their products. But I have to admit to serious second thoughts now. Drag Racing may be just business to some but many of us remember when it was a personable, friendly sort of sport. I know that I used to buy Bubble Up sodas just because they sponsored 240 Gordie. Brand loyalty is something that drag racing has always prided itself upon. Well, there are other companies for fuels and oils for me to use. Dave Germain

2. Tigger

Tigger New Member

Whether they return to team sponsorships or not, I think we should all be thankful for their support.

3. allen

allen New Member

get real

im sure everyone appreciated the support while it was happening
    and thats great
    but for torco to cut everyone off at the last minute is bad
    business practices
    racers and fans can turn in a hurry on products, people can be
    clickey
    they should have withdrew slowley to save face, these are
    proffesional race teams that relie on this funding
    if this accident happened 4 years ago why is it affecting
    everything now
    i wish no bad on anybody, but quit being stupid this
    company is in financial trouble and this is a way out
    long live the low buck racer

4. konrodz

konrodz Member

Here Here. Thank you Evan Knoll

5. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

comment

I'm going to hold back on really commenting on this issue until some of the dust settles and we see how they handle the mess with their current sponsored teams.

First off, I wish Evan a speedy recovery. There is no doubt his involvement in the sport has been a huge asset.

Before everyone just says aw shucks well it was fun while it lasted, there are people who have spent A TON of money based on sponsorship agreements for this season. I'm sure these team owners don't have a good taste in their mouth to say the least.

Lost in the shuffle is the employees of these race teams. They will probably be out of work pretty quick.

I'll reiterate, Evan Knoll and Torco's involvement has been great for the sport. Drag Racing's version of Black Tuesday will have a pretty severe impact on the sport as well. Close to 30 major teams, ranging from Pro to Comp, losing their sponsorship in one day, ouch.

I hope Evan gets well, and I hope these teams get some assistance for what they have spent this year.

6. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

weren't there signed contracts?????? or was it all "good ole boy handshakes"

7. F/C Girl

F/C Girl New Member

Not sure where you get your information, but you're very far off base and your comments are unwarranted.

Anyone who is a racer that knows other people that are directly involved with this situation are really disappointed with people like yourself making assumptions and judgement calls about their friend and his company.

Kind regards,

Nancy

8. bud7291

bud7291 New Member

I second Nancy... From what I hear he could walk away from Torco today and still fund racing for quite some time...

CJ Curtsinger

9. allen

allen New Member

lets see here'
    you live in texas, and you live in florida,
    i live near decatur mi
    i heard he was just up north snowmobiling
    at his house up there
    came from a pretty good source
    think abbout these poor racers and their families
    i dont wish bad on anybody, the truth will come out

10. bud7291

bud7291 New Member

I dont understand the connection... Snowmobiling in the recent past and sponsorship of racing...

CJ Curtsinger

11. bud7291

bud7291 New Member

From Nancy Matter (because she lost her password and can't get back in) *Will, if you read that can you send her email a new password*:

This is a quote from the Snyder racing team that is currently under the helm of the Torco Racing Team.

First of all, I would like to say to those of you who are crucifying Evan because of a business/health decision he made…you are confused. Some of you are questioning whether or not he really loves drag racing? Have you ever met the man? Evan is a wonderful person with a heart of gold. If you are not directly affected by this maybe you should just back off. All the guys at Torco are like family and I’m sure none of this was meant to happen. Let Evan take a year off and get healthy, so we can see him out at the racetrack in 2009. We are grateful for the time and money he spent with us over the past 3 seasons and wish him all the best in his recovery. Please just think before you post…this is a fellow human being and our friend.

Just from one of many of the Torco teams,
    Any other questions?

(Nancy Matter)

12. tad2155

tad2155 Member

My, My everyone let's all not forget racing is about business and money, especially at the upper levels, unless you're loaded doing it for fun, as i have learned you gotta get in writing no matter what, this world is not for-given and nice as we would like:eek:

On the Sidelines in Bama

13. F/C Girl

F/C Girl New Member

Hey Will, no need to resend. Someone accidentally logged me out trying to log in and used up all the entries and the system wouldn't let me log in even after the 15 min, so I Thought I had the wrong password.

All good today.

Hope everyone is having A Great Day!!!

14. Funnycarsrule

Funnycarsrule Member

Nancy had a BLONDE moment!!!!!!:p :D :eek:

15. bud7291

bud7291 New Member

Nancy even tried to blame her son... Can you believe that :D

CJ Curtsinger

16. F/C Girl

F/C Girl New Member

Okay Sammy, fine!!

CJ--hmmmmm

:D:D:D:D

17. whosyrdady

whosyrdady Super Comp

Big Money!

I'm quite sure, if given the chance to get some of the TORCO money on a hand shake deal we would all take it. I hate to see this happen but, anyone who got money should appreciate what they got. Many teams like ours do it out of our own pockets. When Evan comes back all who dont want his money I'll be there with my hands out. Kevin Newburgh Heckler Motorsports

18. Lethal Threat Racing

For those that do not own their own business or deal with contracts and contracting do not realize that the majority of contracts have a 30 day out. I deal with private and government contracts everyday in my companies and have not see a two way 30 day clause not included in 5 plus years. That is how the sponsorship is removed among many other ways, performance, ethics, professional conduct etc.

Mr. Knoll “because I do not know him” is only exercising his right and is protecting his and other’s future. This is no fault I see in any of this. It is all part of the negotiation.

Get well soon Mr. Knoll, we need more like you in our sport.

Todd Martin
    Lethal Threat Racing
    1953 Studebaker Pro Mod

19. reidmach

reidmach Member

Second guessing

Lemme see,
    "I am very passionate about my buisiness, I am absolutley in love with the sport I support, and I am having personal/health/biz issues that I need to deal with.
    I am going to hold out as long as I can, because I dont want to hurt a whole buch of folks that I care deeply about, but ultimately, I am forced to make a decision that only I can make, even though I'd like to throw my doctor / accountant under the bus.
    My decision will and has affected many, but my true dissapointment is seeing the armchair bashing I am taking because I had to make this call."
    I am not speaking for Evan, nor am I acting as his rep, I have experienced this first hand.
    This type of stuff happens every day in buisiness, and I have no right to second guess a situation that I am not intimately involved in, unless I got to sit in the conference room, I have no idea of how the decision was made, if you have ever had to lay someone off, after getting to know their family and / or friends, you may know some of the issues I speak of.
    I still believe in giving someone the "benefit of doubt" in most situations, it has saved me a lot of grief and maybe a friendship or two.
    I wish Evan a speedy recovery!!
    Darrell Reid
    www.reidmachine.com

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  20. F/C Girl

F/C Girl New Member

Very, Very Well Said Darrell.