"Top Eliminator West" name change to "Pacific ProComp"

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Ron C, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

Top Eliminator West announces name change to Pacific ProComp.

I hope the off-season is going well for everyone. There has been a lot of changes going on in the racing community, anywhere from tracks closing to Associations not running. The car counts are also down at national, divisional and local events. I've been watching this and trying to come up with a solution to a serious problem. With that said, we will be making some changes to the TEW class.
    When talking to people about TEW, they would almost always say “that’s just like the old Pro Comp class that ran dragsters and funny cars together.” So after great consideration we will be changing the name to "Pacific ProComp". I think racers will identify with the class more readily, because we do run any car (RED, FED, FC, PM, ALT Etc.) with any engine combination or fuel. We will also raise the index to 6.60 and make it an all run class.
    The index change will save parts, draw more cars and still be a crowd-pleasing show. Hopefully, more cars in the 6.60-6.90 range will show up to compete if they know that they are going to make first round. It will still be heads-up (index) style racing. We will need to add some rules regarding electronics. I don’t think that any of us want super comp style racing so we will eliminate all electronics on the throttle after the car is launched and down track except on engine timing. Everything else will remain the same with a 4 tenths pro-tree – no cubic inch limits – any fuel – blown or nitrous – chassis/body any style.

The 2011 race schedule is currently being put together and will be announced when completed.
    A new website is being developed to reflect the changes and can be currently followed at www.topeliminatorwest.com.

Curtis Clevenger heads the association and can be reached at 916-417-7832.

We are still working on a few details, but wanted to give a heads-up as to what is coming down the pipe.

So, put some fun back into your racing program and come run with us.

2. Eric

Eric Member

I like it!

3. funnycarmike

funnycarmike New Member

This is very cool!! . . . . . And I think alot of the former PAFCA/CIFCA guys should take a look!

4. Curtis C

Curtis C New Member

Yes we are very excited as well. This is something that we have been considering for the past few years......

5. Cap Racing

Cap Racing New Member

I can't wait! We are going to hit as many of the Pacific ProComp races as possible. There will also be a similar ProComp event at Woodburn Dragstrip held during the Tulip Festival Drags in April. That race will be a non-points race.

6. BUTCH

BUTCH Member

Curtis, please let us all know as soon as you can about the 2011 schedule, we will be there for all of the racing in 2011.

Thanks again and good job keeping the racing fun!!!!

Butch

7. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

Question

Sounds like a fun deal and good show.
    Question: In all fairness, will dragsters (both front and mid engine) be allowed 40" front overhang instead of NHRA class rules of 30" as opposed to 40" F/C bodies so all will be equal ? Australia has much success with this system in Top Alky and Top Comp, but here it seems to be overlooked.

8. ITS IN MY BLOOD

I am wondering if this will be a bunch of 5.70-6.50 sand baggers !!..hehehee

Seriously though,..NO ELECTRONICS, NO DELAY boxes etc,..NO Super class anything allowed RIGHT ????
    other than a transbrake and data recorder done deal,...!!!!

Is there a minimum Dial in for eliminations,.....???? this is a bracket race right,.. cars dial in there time...???

AF/FC

;)

9. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

Bob, no slack to the dragsters for the extra nose the FC's get. Same for a ProMod, they get even more. This is a no whiner drag racing deal:).

And no, there is no dial in, it's all on a 6.60 index. Heads up on the starting line and no sand bagging rewards.

We've been running this deal for years on a 6.30 index. The economy has urged us to move it to 6.60 and we responded along with a new name to better describe the class. The crowds love seeing a dragster and funny car run off. Even a front engine digger and rear digger running off gets them excited. We hear some injected nitro front engine dragsters will appear in 2011. Sure hope so, it's really put some fun back into drag racing and a real show pleaser for the crowds.

My son Curtis heads up the group.

Blessings for Christmas..............Ron Clevenger

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  10. Curtis C

Curtis C New Member

It wouldn't matter if you had 60" of overhang on an index of 6.60. It would only be an advantage if it was a true heads up, we are heads up at starting line, index at finish line (no dial in). Electronices that are programed to disrupt the engine after the car is lauched, throttle stops, shutter boxes, etc...prohibitied. RPM switches for shifting, 6 shooter for timing, 2 or 3 step for burnouts, launch control and max rpm, ok.

11. Curtis C

Curtis C New Member

Hey one cool rule that I forgot to bring up and this is only in final round. If both drivers agree, we run the final heads up (NO INDEX) first one there wins. It's great for the crowd, we've had a couple of 6.00@225+ finals and the crowd was on the fence out of control!!!

12. David 519

David 519 New Member

Sounds like a very cool class. I left asphalt racing a few years ago because I got tired of throttle stop racing. Got a decent blown alcohol BBC sitting in the shop and trying to figure out what to do with it. Not sure it's stout enough to run 6.60's though. So about how much HP does it take to run 6.60's in a decent dragster.
    thx

13. BUTCH

BUTCH Member

horse power to run 6.60 e.t

David 519,
    If you have a dragster, here are a few weigh to h.p requirements to run a 6.60 e.t

2200 lbs race car needs 1512 h.p at the tires
    2000 lbs race car needs 1375 H.P at the tires
    1800 lbs race car needs 1237 h.p at the tires
    1600 lbs race car needs 1100 h.p.at the tires

If you have a well put together blown alky BBC, it is quite easy to make the 1300 to 1500 h.p and make them life, but it does all depend on what you have. There is a post that was written by Brendan Murry on draglist.com about how to build a CHEAP blown alky BBC with a tall deck iron truck block and iron heads and that set up is well with in reach of running a 6.60 e.t in a light dragster? Just my 2 cent, and I hope to see you at the track!!! if you have any questions, send me a pm.

Butch

14. David 519

David 519 New Member

Thanks for the info!! Ours made just shy of 1200 HP at 7 lbs boost (4% over). Pretty sure we can make 1500 without it being on kill. We'll definitely check the class out this season, sounds like a blast.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  15. James D

James D New Member

Great move Ron & Curtis ,just what the class needed to grow. Best of luck in the new year!

16. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

Thanks James. When you gonna get yours running? Don't forget about us when you get it going.
    Should be a fun year. Looking like we will have a good mix of cars. What we need more of is Funny Cars and altereds. We have several FED blown alky cars and a couple of FED injected nitro cars say there gonna be running. One is being finished up on the jig right now. And of course the rest are RED blown cars.

Curtis will be putting the final touches on the schedule shortly. So I'll post it up here for those that are interested.

We are also working on association sponsors to help get the purse higher. We've been running with a $1200 to win with an 8 car field. Would really like to see that up in the $2000-$2500 area. Time will tell.

Happy New Year and blessings to all................Ron Clevenger.

17. James D

James D New Member

We are running but have switched to nitro only, just waiting for better wheather so we can test. Would be fun to run with you but pretty sure we couldn't turn the car around quick enough. Maybe I can catch a ride with you to a race or two this year.

18. Ed Arcuri

Ed Arcuri Member

Pacific Pro Comp

You are right on the money, Ron. Here in the Rockies our altered fields look good, but we need more funny car competitors. We have a 7.90 group to bring in the "door cars" (we need a better name) and a faster group of All Stars for shows. The e.t.'s may seem slow to some, but a low altitude track around here is one less than 5000 ft. above sea level!
    Congratulations to you, Ron, and best wishes for great success in 2011.
    Cheers,
    Ed Arcuri
    www.rockymountainsuperchargers.com

19. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

Ed, why don't you guys look at changing your name to "RockyMountain ProComp". We don't reference the class to "superchargers" because we have cars that are injected with nitrous that run 6.0's. We also invite injected nitro deals or fast door cars for that matter. If we get this to catch on across the Nation and it becomes successful it could result in 4 or 5 (?) organizations from coast to coast. Wouldn't it be cool to then have a National ProComp event end of the year final. This effort has come down to self preservation and personally I would not desire for NHRA to get involved. Keep it outlaw racing, book our own shows and run our own programs. Our desire is to put on a good show for the spectators, which in turn will hopefully bring a profit to the track and as the entertainment value grows so should the track buy in.

James D, how much turn around time do you think your going to need? We normally have several hours between rounds. I know you've not run the new combination yet and man power is probably an unknown at this time.
    You can certainly get a ride anytime, your always welcome and plenty of room.

Blessings.........Ron Clevenger.

20. Eric

Eric Member

We are eager to see that schedule! I know one alky FC that will run with you guys, as long as there are some races within a reasonble towing distance.

Eric Gates