Timing Question??????

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by neutraldrop, Nov 25, 2008.

1. neutraldrop

neutraldrop New Member

Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind retarding the timing in high gear for better MPH? I've heard it works and im wondering why?
    Thanks.

2. art d

art d New Member

not trying to push the piston back down. Easiest explanation I can think of.
    Art

3. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

4. crashly

crashly Member

oil painting theory sounds good......

5. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

Maybe if you load about 100 lbs of paint in the car and then throw it out at the gear change you can pick up a couple of 100th's. :D:D:D

6. pete9857

pete9857 Member

paint

Isn't that how they stripe the roads in S.C. Jody? lol

7. neutraldrop

neutraldrop New Member

I just bought 200 gallons of paint and dropped a few grand on misc art supplies from Chang Vang..... now back to the question.

So nobody know's...... How does the engine know what gear the car is in?

8. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

Timing

highest load..working compression..easier to detonate..consider hi gear is correct timing and lower gears are increased timing (lower load)

9. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

Ha Ha Glenn, nope.... we usually just hold a yellow dog yankee down to the asphalt and drag his rear down the road. Find it leaves two nice stripes down the center line. hehehehe Happy Thanksgiving. Back to the question..... I used to retard in high gear and really could'nt see much diff., however my tuneup was prob. off some. Have been told by others that at less load the motors need less timing so they pick up some MPH, just wire the retard switch to your shifter/ shift light/ shift timer or rpm switch in your msd box.

10. neutraldrop

neutraldrop New Member

Ok Bill, that's helpful.

11. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

man did this thread get side tracked..Dave

12. ITS IN MY BLOOD

Look at it from this way,..
    As the rod and piston come up in the cylinder on the compression
    stroke with your given timing you have in it (advance) the sooner it will fire before it gets to
    top dead center making the piston and rod work harder to get to tdc and the next revolution in the motor.
    take timing away (retard) the later it will fire, putting
    the piston and rod closer to top dead center
    making it easier on the motor to make its next revolution, thus
    freeing up a little hp because the motor is not working as hard.

13. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

I think the higher the cylinder pressures, the more advantage you see from doing this. Back in my TD days on my Nitrous motor, we gained 7mph by pulling as much as 8deg out of it! A blower motor won'r require this much. At least not that I have seen??!! Curious as to what others have experienced? I would tell ya what we pull out but my Crew Chief would slit my throat:D

14. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

If this theory is correct then why does it only work in high gear?

15. neutraldrop

neutraldrop New Member

So if the rig picks up 7 mph with 8 less in high gear, Say 38 in first and second, 30 in 3rd, how would it run with 30 the whole time? if worse why?

16. ITS IN MY BLOOD

are we talking about a blown alky or injected nitro vehicle..?????

,...You tell me ????

Maybe its because its at the top of its power band (gear wise), where all it does is pull from there on with out another shift coming, ????
    does anybody test
    and pull timing out just before every shift, hince 8973 box, or is it just because this happends to fast in between shifts to do it then, and better in high ????

You tell me ????

how about the same theory with advancing or retarding a cam
    or,...
    adjusting your valves looser or tighter than the suggested cam spec.

amazing stuff aint it.

17. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

I don't have your answer, but here are some comments;

I beleive passenger vehicles at highway speeds run some rediculous high advancement numbers, but under higher load (more throttle opening, etc) it gets retarded.

Does the rise time of the magneto change when the cylinder pressure changes?

Has anyone done tests comparing ignition timing requirements for different boost levels?

My experience when comparing my roots stuff to like N/A motor combinations, the blower deal makes peak power with about 5° less advance. This supports the fact that with more cylinder pressure it takes less advance.

18. topalky511

topalky511 Member

In a car with a clutch maybe it actually reduces the power slightly and stops the motor driving through the clutch allowing more power to actually reach the rear tyres not get wasted in the can? a lot of people reduce counter weight to stop there cars shaking or smoking the tyres in low gear which results in not enough counterweight to lock up the clutch at the end of high gear so this could possibly allow the lutch to lock up?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  19. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

To me this answer makes more sense than all the others because hp = mph so retarding and taking power away does not add up to me but thats just my opinion.

20. 560Jim

560Jim Member

Top gear retard

My understanding of TGR goes like this
    -in the lower gears the engine is able to build revs fast due to reduced load and therefore the cylinder pressure doesnt build up above the piston fast enough to cause detonation at a given tune
    -in top gear the load is high and the engine cant rev as quickly, therefore the piston doesnt move (accelerate) down the bore as fast and excessive pressure builds above the piston - detonation
    I know this sounds a bit unfeasable because it is all happening so fast, but if you think about it, it is to do with piston acceleration rates away from TDC at different LOADS (not revs)
    This applies not only to the blown engines most guys here have, but also to N/A and petrol engines used in slower classes. Very few of those racers have the adjustable clutchs of TA.
    Jim