time wasted

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by kosky racing, Jun 28, 2019.

1. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

dorks that call on want ads that want pictures -talk your ass off - I spent 7hrs preparing so that parts I had listed would be exactly as listed a more extras for free- added bonus-please understand don't waste our time - racers if you get a call from this area code beware 810-322-jerk -

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  2. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

I can't count how many times I've had some make a deal over the phone only to string me along, never sending a deposit, screwing around, and then wanting me to drive half the distance yet still no $$, Latest guy wanted me to drive 3 hours. Uh, no, That's what the UPS truck is for. He screwed around long enough that a guy from Texas called and said "I'll take it." The next day we had a check overnighted land on the porch including freight. Gone. Two days later the first guy calls "Well, are you willing to drive three hours to meet me half way?" ..."Uh, no. the part is long gone to Texas, but thanks for your interest."

3. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

The part that gets me is what does a picture really show of a engine part-I think they create a album to show their friends-hey look what I am going to buy!

Randy G. likes this.
  4. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Here's a great story.

About 12 years ago I decided to sell my twin screw Columbia Freightliner totorhome. There weren't that many twin screws (dual rear axle) units around back then. I originally bought it from Tony Bartone through Country Motors and it was only a few years old.

Some guy from Florida calls, asks for a bunch of pictures, and talks the talk. Finally he says he'll take it. I told him I needed a deposit, and he said he would overnight it. A week later along with several promises I still don't have a deposit. Then, after another week of expressing concerns about being able to find the time to come get it I told him I would drive it to Florida from California for him if he paid for the diesel and for my return plane ticket. He says it sounds good to him, and he'll make sure to fire off the deposit. A week later he calls and says "How about you pay for the diesel and you buy the plane ticket." I told him absolutely not. A week later we had the same conversation. Still no deposit.

Then, later that same day I get a call from Duane Shields. He was looking for a twin screw and heard mine was for sale. I told him I had a guy on the hook for it but we were having some issues. Then he asked me the question I was asking myself... " Is the guy going to buy it?" We'll, he was, but now he wants me to drive it to Florida and I pay for the diesel, and I buy my own plane ticket back to California...but I'm not going to do it. Then Duane says "Then you don't have a deal. What's your bank account number? You'll have the money in 30 minutes, and I'll send Big Bill there tomorrow to get it." Bam... Done deal. Duane still has my toterhome today.

A week later guy #1 calls me and says "Well, are you going to drive my new truck to Florida or not?" Nope. I sold it right after I talked to you a week ago. Guy wired the money and drove it home the next day. Guy #1 proceeds to call me an MF-er for selling "his truck", saying he absolutely had to have it and I should have given him a call before letting it go. I told him he did it to himself for screwing me around. Have a nice day.

After that my new saying whenever I sell something is "First guy to the finish line with the cash wins." When I bought my Rick Jones Pro Stock Camaro from Frank Gugliotta a year ago I was practically shoving 100 dollar bills through the phone while I was talking to him because I wanted it and didn't want to lose it. If you want it you have to jump on it. Frank told me that day he had 6 buyers call after me and every one of them wanted it. I happen to be on Racingjunk the minute he posted the ad, and it was perfect timing on a very good deal.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Will Hanna likes this.