Things change?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Pat McGill, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

2. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

What's the old saying about race cars and doors?

I agree with most of what he said up until the part about the alky class dying. In my 20 years of fooling around in the TA/FC class we are now seeing more cars running great because they've left the rules alone. There are a lot of cars that are running as good or better than those considered to be the top cars without the benefit of million dollar crew chiefs (just plain old hard work and paying attention to your stuff). Plus, look at the new blood coming out on top.

Most classes right now are down on car counts because of the economy, not because someone woke up and decided they needed a Jerry Haus '59 Chevy.

For the tuners he mentioned it's all about the money. Do you think Manzo would be risking his knowledge by tuning a Pro Mod if he wasn't offered 7 digits to do it? Who wouldn't?

Besides, I was told it was going to be NFC that was going to kill TA/FC.:rolleyes:

RG

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  3. aj481x

aj481x Member

Manzo
    Anderson
    Newberry
    Moon
    Snyder

4. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

I do find it interesting that they are doing an article on Payne and Pro Mods, (which, hey, 5.80's, not bad in a legal Pro Mod, glad you didn't wreck), when a pretty impressive milestone was hit in TAFC with SIDE BY SIDE 5.40's in the final eliminations. Where's the press on that other than the sentence it received in the Sportsman Wrap Up on DRC?

Like Randy said, how can a class be dying when more and more teams keep going out and setting new performance standards? Last year at National events, mid to low 5.50's were being run like they're going out of style. Middle of the field anymore is a mid to low 5.60 at a non-mineshaft National. Calling TAFC a dying class is like saying "We'll run the fuel cars to 1000ft to slow them down and keep the from blowing up motors." Or calling Pro Mod an "affordable" class.

P.S.: Pro Mod is racing for twice as much money because someone who owns 25% of the cars in the class in sponsoring it.

5. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

$$$

I think a lot of it has to do with money. There is a lot more money being spent in the Pro Mod ranks right now than the alcohol ranks. There are a lot more 'do it yourselfers' in the alcohol ranks. I think some of that has to do with running screw blowers vs roots. On the legal side you have to spend big bucks with a blower guru to stay on top of that deal. With the screw, that's not necessarily the case.

There's no doubt PM both legal and outlaw attracts more money guys as owners or sponsors. Thats why you see the big name tuners over there because of the money that gets spent.

In fact there is so much money in the PM ranks, they seem to be able to keep their series going regardless if there is a sponsor or not. If there is no sponsor, someone steps up and underwrite's it in the 11th hour. ADRL seems to be gaining some stability as they build on their business model, but this year they are without a title sponsor. Again, they are underwritten by some deep pockets, namely Dave Woods, Tommy Lipar and Al-Anabi.

You keep on seeing how Pro Mod is a professional NHRA class now, but they're closer to the same status as Alcohol "Pro Sportsman." Case in point if PM was a true pro NHRA class, Melanie would not have been allowed to drive both PM and FC at the same event. I enjoy the PM classes but I think some of the press releases and coverage have been serving up a little too much kool-aid.

That said, I think it's good for NHRA to finally embrace the class, they are entertaining and add to the show.

In reference to car counts, as Lee Corso would say, not so fast Bobby and Jay. The GSA NHRA PM series is the ONLY place a legal PM has to race these days. The NHRA TAFC and TAD class has divisionals and nationals all over the country to run. I think their deal is 10 races. I think if TAFC had only 10 races to run all year, it would be comparable, if not more cars.

In my opinion if ADRL isn't careful, they are going to let the cost to run that deal get way out of hand. They just legalized 50% nitro with a PSI C blower this year. With the no minimum weight rule, you have to build a real high dollar car and be a relatively small guy to get close to the same weight as some of the guys out there.

The way the economy has been the last couple of years, now is not the time to complain about car counts in any category, rather we should embrace the fact we have as many cars running as we do. I don't think car counts in any category reflects the health of the category, rather, the lack of health in the economy.

From a marketing standpoint, ADRL can give a sponsor better on-track value because you are the star of a big show. NHRA still has a much better TV package airing Sundays on ESPN2 a week after the race. NHRA PM and TAD/TAFC race in front of about the same amount of people as a 'side' act for the fuel cars. Demographic wise, the NHRA market definitely has more discretionary income, as they have big crowds that pay big money to go to their shows vs the ADRL give away crowd. It could be debated which is better, but they are different demographics.

6. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

If the standard becomes a comparison between what a Pro Mod runs vs a TA/FC then here's my suggestion for taking TA/FC (back) to the next level. Actually it's an old idea. Give us back 125% so we don't have to RPM them to death. A/FD's are already running 5.teens and 5.20's. Why not TA/FC?

While your at it, I'd be happy to be able to put a "C" blower on. At any rate it's a known fact that increasing the overdrive will decrease the cost to run and the cars will go faster.

RG

7. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

I noticed Jay didn't mention that NHRA hasn't raised the Purse in the Alky classes in over 10 years! And that NHRA isn't spending a penny on purse for the Pro mod class or the TV package! Plus, NHRA will not allow the alky cars to sell merchandise to help curb costs either.

But I will say the Pro mods do FAR more to promote thermselves than the FC's have for the most part! Look at your paintschemes, the PM's spend a lot of $$$ on their look! FC's don't do that anymore, except for a few! Back in 1990 or so it was the opposite, the Alky FC's were all about appearance and the look, that went away!

8. DQUES

DQUES Member

In the NHRA press conference that announced pro mods as a new pro category do you think they explained why the P/M winner will not be on stage after the event with the other pro winners . See photo of the professional winners here http://dragracecentral.com/DRCPhoto.asp?ID=200293&Filter=100#indextop . If Roger Burge$$ would not have stepped in with his $$$ would the class even exist ? .

9. Denny Savage

Denny Savage New Member

[If Roger Burge$$ would not have stepped in with his $$$ would the class even exist ? .[/QUOTE]

In simple terms..... NO

10. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

its hard to find small tracks to even book funny car match races any more much less afford the nhra deal wtf

11. tad2155

tad2155 Member

pro mods

don't forget guys, they r big purses in the pro mod races around here
    usually min $5 grand for racing 1/8 mile that is very attractive for ROI,, looking back i wish i wuld have done a pro mod

GK:D

12. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

In NHRA? I doubt it...:rolleyes:

13. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

Entry Fee

I haven't paid much attention to this issue, but have some questions.
    Is it true that each car pays $500 per event entry fee.
    Who's pocket does that goes into? $14,000.00 at the Gatornationals?
    With Burgess paying the purse and the TV contract, does he get the entry fee, or is NHRA getting a free show and getting paid to take it?

Thanks for any answers,
    Marty

14. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Entry

Pro Mod now has to enter online on the nhraeventreg site just like we do, so if I was guessing the entry money goes towards the purse.

15. lambfunnycar

lambfunnycar New Member

I hate to be the one to say this, but I believe good people are going to get really hurt in this class. I just see these cars being to fast for their design. This is just my 2 cents. Plus I am bias, I'm all TAFC.
    Todd Lamb

16. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

MOST are running the VRA rules (or close). It makes for MANY possibilities to race CLOSE to home and MANY with NO ENTRY FEE for Car and CREW and 5K to win! ;)

17. whosyrdady

whosyrdady Super Comp

Tafc

Im surprised by Jays coments, I would think after all the years he did TAFC he would support it. I can understand him wanting to go to a PM but why badmouth or talk down about our class. Kevin

18. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

Because he doesn't race in it anymore?

19. '66 Vette

'66 Vette New Member

Not sure that he bad mouthed the class. Is there anything he is saying that is not true?

His statement about the money is a jab to the NHRA, and is right on the money. I guess he could go along and say TAFC is great, but is it, compared to the attention PM is getting, and the stature that NHRA is giving it?

When he left TAD for TAFC, because of the AFD's, would I have wanted him to say that TAD was great and he was moving to TAFC only because he wanted to buy a shorter trailer?

I have more respect for a person who calls a spade a spade, instead of telling all how great the kool aid is.

Jay has put as much into TAD and TAFC as just about anyone. If he says he is having more fun, and is getting paid better, and we all know NHRA is giving PM more recognition, how is anything he is saying bad mouthing the class. If he is bad mouthing anything, it is NHRA, and in my opinion, it is justly deserved.

20. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

Vette Jay has been outspoken about the Payouts in Alky FC and Dragster over the years. They have been the same for over 10 years, I stand corrected!

But Denny Savage hit the Nail on the Head...where would the Pro mods in NHRA be if it weren't for Roger Burgess' money? How many Pro mods would be out there if they ran for the Purse's FC's do??? I bet you would see less than we see now!