The only way to make Blown cars competitive!

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Mr Scary, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

Allow just over 500 CI so they can run the 125% overdrive without adding weight. NHRA won't make the A-Fuel cars add weight again, and the PSI "C" Blower costs to much!

2. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

the cost of a c blower is considerably cheaper than an a/fuel car or fc.

3. dmwells

dmwells New Member

and just how much do you think it is going to cost to build 4-500 cu.in mtrs. Dave Wells

4. tom pickett

tom pickett Super Comp/tad

500 CU IN IS NOT THE ANSWER,DAVE,MARTY WHAT DO YOU THINK !
    TOM PICKETT

5. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

Tom,
    Since you ask, here is my opinion on narrowing the gap in performance potential (between the AF/D's & BA/D's) to a reasonable level.

Allow the BA/D's to run the "C" blower (.05 to .06) and reduce minimum weight to 2000 lbs.(.02). Estimated incremental investment - $12,000 to $15,000.
    Change AF/D ring & pinion limit from 2.90 to 3.20 (same as Top Fuel). This will probably make the injected nitro cars quicker for the 1st 330' or so, but slow them down alittle down track. Estimates by a AF/D crew chief were a minimal E.T. increase (.02) but 4 to 5 MPH slower on the top end. This could increase safety on the marginal tracks. Estimated incremental investment- $0 to $2,000(depending on whether they change their R&P every off season anyway, most do).
    Add the changes to both cars together and at the average race, the faster of both would be in the mid-20s. Another way to look at it is we now have about a .11 second disparity and these changes should narrow the gap to approximately a .01 to .02 second advantage for our AF/D brotheren.

Of course this does nothing to change the fact that the AF/D's have more unfound performance left out there, and that the BA/D combo has been pretty much wrung out, but we have to make positive changes to keep the class healthy & interesting to the fan.

I would love to see both car flourish, since that would just guarantee the survival and advancement of the class I love.

Take care all,
    Marty

P.S. Your turn Mr. Wells.

6. DUCTMAN

DUCTMAN New Member

Since it didn't take the Top Fuel guys long to adjust to the new Nitro percentage (and NHRA has noticed this)why doesn't NHRA do this to close the gap on the parity issue:

1. 100% Nitro with a single 44 Mag only.
    or
    2. 90% Nitro with two 44 Mag's only.

If top Fuel guys can compensate as quick as they did why can't the best A-Fuel tuner's do it. The extra weight only slowed them down for a couple of races untill they figured it out.

Ductman

7. Will Hanna

Staff Member

here's one to throw to the dogs...

10% pop in the bad's

8. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

No blower. That's why. You can't compensate for the lower nitro.

9. was R4K

was R4K Member

CAN'T! CAN'T! QUIT YOUR WHINING AND FIGURE IT OUT!!! :D

10. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

David and Marty, you guys are the racers. How much would cost to convert a 452 or whatever you guys are running to a 500??? You don't think the extra 13% Blower will make that much difference?

11. Langenhammer

Langenhammer New Member

I agree with Will, give the BAD's some juice! That'd would be an initially cheap fix. Sure there would be some things to sort out but it's not a bunch of idiots running these cars. It would be an easy thing to adjust, rules-wise.

12. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

David W.
    It takes about the same amount to build a 500 cid
    engine as the 421 cid that most all of the a-fuel cars went to last year because of the weight change.

13. Tommy 2 Tone

Tommy 2 Tone New Member

Hawk,

In the "most all" category, how many a-fuel cars were already at 421 ci, prior to the rules change?

14. mitch myers

mitch myers Guest

Out of 98 cars running of both types and nearly 3/4 of the season gone the win loss record is nearly 50-50 or 47-53 whatever. And i don't give a crap how many nationals vs divisionals win's etc. It takes both to win a championship. Why don't you guys quit whinning and just give it a rest.....parity will only exist in the current format with the tracks, altitude and weather being the equilizer.

15. Will Hanna

Staff Member

5.29 in scribner mitch. there isnt but a handfull of tracks we race at that are worse than scribner.

16. Chris Demke

Chris Demke Super Comp

If only it were that easy... It is my understanding that to change an a-fuel car to 421 cid 'only' required a new crank and rods, and maybe new pistons, depending on what bore/stroke combo they had before the change. Certainly not cheap, BUT... to properly change a 451 cid blown alcohol motor to 500 cid requires a new block, crank, pistons, rods and intake manifold. You can still use the cam and heads [​IMG] 500 cid would require replacing the entire short block assembly. Please correct me if I am wrong.

-chris

GUTG! GUTG! GUTG! GUTG! GUTG! GUTG!
    (Give Us The Gizmo) :D

17. mitch myers

mitch myers Guest

Will, with all due resect. Grow a brain. Who won Scribner? Here let me help you out , David Wells if my memory serves me correctly. Oh wait a minute.....my God ..........he drives a blown car! You guys have got to take a reality check or at least stop and think before you stick your foot in your mouth. Actually you help my point thru your misguided response. Randy did run a 5.29 in qualifying and then he was gone 2nd round. Also I did not say tracks make the difference, I said tracks, weather, and altitude. I should have also said density altitude,grains of water, track temp, and a whole lot of other things equil parity as you and you pals are soon to find out. I truely wish you the best of luck and hope the transition and your future racing is as easy as you all seem to think it will be. By the way the grow a brain deal was just kidding you know. Be careful and don't blow yourselves up.

Mitch

18. mitch myers

mitch myers Guest

Ya Chris thats about what it costs. I know for a fact because I did 3 of them last year due to the 85lb packed on my ass last year. I changed 3 438's to 421's.

19. Lee Callaway

Lee Callaway The Gov

I Dont Believe the GIZMO alone will help.

20. Will Hanna

Staff Member

mitch, mitch, mitch...

you considered politics? you do good at sticking with the party line.

so what you're telling me is because an a/fueler can't run as good above 5000 ft parity exists in tad...riiiigghht.

i don't have it in front of me, so i can only paraphrase your qoute in national dragster when you won topeka about how you figured out how to run in 4500 ft of air. the air sucked pretty bad in great bend, and the a/fuelers were on top.

as far as saying bc david wells won scribner there was parity is nieve. (see party line above). the only reason david won that race is because randy fell off, made a mistake, a part broke, whatever caused him to slow down, not to mention the light he had. everyone keeps on trying to use the wins/loss ratio as a barometer of parity. 90% of those wins were because of a/fuelers falling off pace or making mistakes.

this is an old argument. you got your party lines, i got the sad truth, and this is a dead horse. it is a mute point, bc i don't see nhra making any changes in indy, essentially ending the blown car era in tad. congrats the party line worked....hell we even bought one.

i try to look at the overall picture, and try to be as objective as possible. even when i worked for tim rudy, i still kept to my guns on my views on parity. we have an a/fuel car now, and in the best interest of the team, i should shut my mouth, but as being somewhat of a voice in the alcohol ranks, i feel its my responsibility to look at the whole.

thanks for the well wishes. we're going to try our best to make it look easy just for you mitch :D

....if i only had a brain..