Tech Question for crew chiefs

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by was R4K, Jul 16, 2003.

1. was R4K

was R4K Member

What would you consider the max circumferance difference between 2 slicks on a TAD- Would you condider 1 & 1/8 extreme- we have run1&1/2 inch diff between the two- Please give your opinion.

2. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

R4K,
    Our Hoosiers are normally within 1/8" of each other, when we get them new. We measure them every round (that we can) and maintain them within 1/4".
    When we ran other brands, we had a new set dismounted, that were 7/8" different. I have never run tires that are over 1/2" different. Then again, maybe I'm too conservative.
    Good luck,
    Marty

3. bernie

bernie New Member

We junk them at half inch difference. We now run Hoosiers because the last goodyears were junk when they arrived, different size and impossible to balance. Two new sets in the shop can't make a set and goodyear don't want to know.

4. Langenhammer

Langenhammer New Member

We try to maintain 1/4" as well, but if they're more than that, we will stretch the small one with air pressure. I'm sure this scares the hell out of some of you, but I've seen it done plenty of times, without any problems. I watched Daryl (from Carroll Shelby's Goodyear divison out west here) pump up a Goodyear D1230 to 20 lbs.!!!!!(and hold it there awhile). I backed away rather quickly, as I was scared it would explode, but it was no big deal, and it stretched the tire just like he said it would. We put 17 runs on those tires in an A-fueler, the quickest being a 5.38 @ 262mph. No problems.

5. was R4K

was R4K Member

THANKS GUYS- WE PUT 12 LBS IN THE SHORT HOOSIER (1"1/8 SHORT) TOWED 500 MILES AND WHEN WE CHECKED IT- THE RESULT WAS NOW 1/2 MORE THAN THE OTHER- SHEESH- WORKIN ON IT!