Take notice all TAD competitors..................

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by The Zone, Oct 16, 2003.

1. The Zone

The Zone Member

On another thread here on this site "Attitudes" The one thing BAD sis says that makes sense and Bob Orme for some reason said she did not comprehend is both types of cars are running in the same class. Why don't they try and come to a consensis. Oh ya, that is what tara was for. And that turned into the blown members vs the A/Fuel members as well (how many A/Fuel members were there) hence the a/fro group. Morgan Lucas (the title sponsor by the way) on another thread on this site, says he is sick of all the fighting and so are most of you probably. But your stubbornness, pride, ignorance to the other type of car in the class, or just wanting to have the advantage keeps you all from joining a group (which should have been tara). The class is NOT GOING TO THRIVE the way you guys are acting. I spent most of my time defending one or the other when one or the other gets bashed or slammed. What you don't get, is that the FANS like both types of cars, they want to see both types compete against each other. The fans are what keeps the tracks at divisional races continue to bring you in. Drag racing is still about the fans. Look in the mirror guys, in general you should be ashamed of what this class has become, The "War of the Roses". Fix it before it is too late.

Dean Murdoch, SpeedZone Magazine

2. Wendland

Wendland Guest

I don't agree Dean. There is no ending cure that will every fix this class. Look at your history. It's been the same shit for 20 years. It's just bigger because there are more a/fuel cars now and they run faster in certain conditions.

Hey, everyone still has the oppunitity to join TARA. What's keeping them from joining now Dean. Who from TARA is campaigning it or who is out there speaking to the racers in a non-paritive way. Seems to me they need to hire someone that's not a racer to do that. A/FRO is just an organization to help group the voice of a/fuel racers. They can still join TARA. As far as the FAN base you are talking about, look what NHRA does to promote the class...."Hey thanks for watching the top fuel final and have a safe trip home, by the way, the Lucas Oil dragsters and funny cars are coming up next." How many fans really do show up at a divisional race to watch a TAD car? We just won the Reading National event and I remember yelling out the window of the tow vehicle, "yeah we won, but there is no one hear to see it!" Is it really all about the fans Dean?

Now this is a government movement. Democrates against the Republicains. Let's try to see eye to eye with a common interst in the end. It always doesn't end that way though. Some end up mad and some happy and some half way O.K. with it. What's the cure? We can even vote. We can't test options. We have all picked these conditions on are own because we wanted to have this be a part of our lives. Racing.

3. Wendland

Wendland Guest

By the way Dean, who are you to tell this class that we should be ashamed about what this class has accomplished....We have the fastest cars with the least budgets in the world! Will, I think I need banned....

4. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

Dean,

I agree the class is about winning and racing, but the love of it and the friendships are what is most important.

There are countless teams in TAD that have never one a National Event and probably will never. The fact is they continue to try.

I would love to take the class back to the 80's, but that is not going to happen.

How do we make it the best? I think the class needs parity and maybe some things to control costs. Mandatory rev. limiters, nitro percentage, gearing, tires, type of mags etc. Not sure if possible.

We would love to race alcohol again and hopefully will when there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Tjenna

5. 777AFDKID

777AFDKID Jr. Dragster

For months now, I have been sitting back reading all of the threads about the parity issues. I am Mark Niver’s stepdaughter and have been involved in Drag Racing for my entire life. I raced with Mark when we used the PSI (we were the first to test it) and I raced with Mark when they banned it, I also raced with Mark when he decided to go A-Fuel racing. I raced with him for several years and we struggled and struggled to be competitive. This year, before the crash, we accomplished a bit of success! We truly enjoyed the success but it wasn’t until Sonoma that I completely comprehended the reason that we race! The support we got from ALL of the racers in our class was so totally overwhelming. It’s that camaraderie and the friendships out there that make going to races so much fun for us. When people came to our pit area after the crash, it didn’t matter what style of motor they had bolted on their dragsters, all they cared about was Mark’s condition and how soon we thought we could be back out there racing with our FRIENDS. They also sent their condolences on the end of our “Most Successful” season! I truly believe that if the friendships weren’t out there, we wouldn’t be building a new car. It’s with all of these thoughts in mind that I felt compelled to post. I am completely on the Fence about the rule changes that they have proposed. It’s the competitive side of me that doesn’t want to see the A-Fuel cars slowed down because of the success that we have FINALLY enjoyed this season, but it’s the daughter in me, that has been to a ton of Divisional tracks, that thinks that safety wise, slowing them down a bit might not be such a bad idea. I do agree that some divisional tracks are not exactly the safest places to go 280 MPH. But, recent events have shown that the A-Fuel cars are not the only cars in the class capable of running those types of speeds, yet there are no rule changes in order for them, they run on the same Divisional tracks that A-Fuel cars do, where’s the safety in that? I agree with points about all of this that Rob Wendland has made, Dean Murdoch, Kevin Brown as well as many others, however, I cant believe the name calling and back stabbing that has also gone on and I believe that the “BIG PICTURE” is being missed completely! As I do understand that for many, racing is a business, a serious business, but making these issues like, and I quote: “The War of The Roses” is quite sad and disappointing to me. I hope that NHRA issues the rule changes soon so we can incorporate them in the new car and we (Forgive me if I speak for everyone here) can all get back to racing, and enjoying the friendships, camaraderie and enjoyment that it gives to all of us and get past all of this. ;)

6. The Zone

The Zone Member

Rob, I am two things with regards to this class. First and for most I am a fan. you know the people that support the tracks that in turn suppoprt you. Secondly, because I am not a paying fan anymore Magazine and web site editor), I am doing what I think is my part to promote and help drag racing get more exposure. While I am not National Dragster or Drag Racer magazine, I do have a following and I have a bit of experience with this class. As a driver, teacher, part time crew member, and promotional liason for a number of teams.

You state that teams can still join 'tara' if they wish. You are right they can, but how many that are in 'a/fro' have joined and become an active member of 'tara'. Not many I bet. I am guessing that Bruce Bowler (one of the founders of tara) is one of the only guys that has been voca with regards to both sides. And if I am wrong, I apologise to Bruce for thinking this.

I bet that not alot of members of a/fro have had
    have a lot of good things to say about the "Whining" BAD members of 'tara'. (tell the truth Rob). NHRA may well decide over the next few years that one or the other type of car will prevail. I personally don't want that to happen. Because it will become just another cookie cutter class with very little difference between the cars. And I never said anything about what this class has accomplished. I said "what this class has become" . Big difference there buddy. If you think everything is pechy keen, then you better take off the rose colored glasses. Talking to Len I two days ago, he certainly is not too happy about the class right now. The NHRA
    APPEARS TO BE FED UP WITH THE CRAP. Read what Morgan Lucas said in the other thread. You are right, the NHRA really has not done anything to promote the class that has had any success. So it is up to the racers. And guess what, the racers are all fighting, looking out for themselves only , not the betterment of the class. The NHRA has TAD and all the sportsman
    classes as filler only, Yes the potential for exposure is still better that on the divisional circuit, but its the divisional end where you guys are still the stars. That should be important simply because that is where your fan base started. at the old winston divisional series. The fans liked you there, and then they go to one or two nationals a year and can relate to you on that level. The reason that the magority of fans don't stayin the stands at a national event is because most don't see you as the feature class which you are not. The fans that do stay in the stands to watch you race at nationals are the ones that you should be trying to keep. Without a huge marketing program with a bunch of money, you won't attract to many of the other "Fuel car" fans. These are not the die hards they are the social fans that don't have much drag racing experience or knowledge.

How do you market race team if it "isn't about the fans". You go to a prospective sponsor and say what, "well sir, we have a real fast car that wins alot of races but no one comes to see us. How much money can you give me"?

Dean

7. The Zone

The Zone Member

Good post afd777. I totally agree. You are what makes this class of racing a great one.
    Dean

8. was R4K

was R4K Member

AFDKID- Boy, you can speak for me anytime! I may be chauvanistic, but your message hits the Racer in me. THANKS for voicing great sentiments- I started racing in 1962 and I tend not to agree with some of the comments on the controversy just because they are made by the RICH or the SUCESSFUL. Unlike you they have either lost sight of sportsman racing or never did understand the concept! Money, Success or even Ego can do that to a person- You are REFRESHING!

[ October 16, 2003, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: was R4K ]

9. T.Howell

T.Howell Member

I don't have a dog in this fight and should probably stay out of it ( after all, I tried to join TARA last winter and neither of my e-mails were answered, and now AFRO doesn't want me either) but I am going to say it anyway.

I understand parity is a big issue for the dragsters but there is more to the big picture.

The alcohol classes as a whole are not endearing themselves to Glendora. Oildowns, long starting procedures, long burn-outs (guilty and it has been discussed) are amoung some of the issues that we should be addressing ourselves.

If we could get to a point where a pair of cars could be run down the track every 90 seconds, maybe then the fans would stay and maybe then we could earn the respect of NHRA.

If you think 90 seconds is unreasonable, what do you think IS reasonable.

If we are not carefull we will end up with bellypans like the top fuel cars.

How much oil are funnycar pans and diapers designed to hold and how much oil is in the engine at 1000'?

Flame away.
    Tom

10. Bob Orme

Bob Orme New Member

Excellent post AFDKID! All the best to your team next year.

Bob [​IMG]

11. Wendland

Wendland Guest

777afdkid,

Awesome post! Thank you for your input. Tell Mark I said hi and hope to see him very soon!

Dean,
    O.K. this will be my last post to you. How do you think the sportsman racers felt when they were kicked out of Ennis and had to race in front of an empty stand on Monday and Tuesday? Is it about the fans watching? Not when it comes to parity...Sponsors care about T.V. time at this classes level. Ask Forrest what matters to him....It's T.V.! John Lawson is my father-n-law and when we had the Lucus Oil sponsorship for Fuel Funny Car we lost it mostly because our performance didn't get us any T.V. time. We had one hell of a fan backing! Ask anyone in Joliet , Il. There are very few Division races that "pack the stands". Most of the people in the stands at a division race are racers in between rounds. Why don't you think we don't have more major sponsors on teams out there? Because our fan base is too small? No....T.V. Time.......Ask why company's advertise during the super bowl? Teams playing? No, the 4.5 kabillion people watching it on T.V.! Sad but true. My point is that NHRA doesn't care about our sponsors at our level unless they are willing to spend money with NHRA. If they cared about the fan, they would run us like a warm up band for the Rolling Stones. Get them ready for the Pro classes. Alot of the time they do. But Englishtown this year, because of a oil down from a TAFC, they canceled that round and ran it before anyone showed up on Sunday. Then ran the final after everyone left. Ask Tony Bartone's Mom how many times she got to see her son race from her $10,000 suite? Twice!!!! And he won the race!

I love the people we race with. My friendships go a long ways back. Some of my dearest friends are not with us anymore and sometimes wonder what they would have to say about all this.....

12. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

tom,

re: belly pans.

i wouldnt be a bit surprised to see belly pans on tad/tafc next year. to be honest, i was surprised we didn't have to put them on this year. maybe the a/f racers can make them out of .25" steel diamond plate for their weight. :D chrome em up.

13. imjustafan

imjustafan New Member

AFDKID

I have always thought of your dad as a inovator and RACER. Now after reading your post I have to say he and your mom were great parents too. It is refreshing to read something nice instead of the crap that many are posting.

T. Howell

You have hit the nail on the head. I attended the Dallas National and the oil downs from the dragsters were not very entertaining. I don't clam to know the answers but some how the Teams need to get a handle on the oildowns. If AFD is the cure for the problem then NHRA needs to make a decision on eleminating the blown cars because as a fan watching the clean up sucked.

Ya know NHRA got sick of the Blower wars and they put a stop to it. If they get sick of the oildowns they can put a stop to that too.

Lenny

14. The Zone

The Zone Member

They felt the shits about getting kicked out of Ennis much like Gainesville earlier this year. That is my point Rob, the sportsman classes (including TAD and TAFC) are filler, the show is around the pros classes. That being said work to gether as a group come up with equitible solutions to make the class work with two types of cars and show the professionalism you do deserve. GO to NHRA as a group and say we are very sorry about the oil downs and we are mandating a belly pan as well as the diaper for all cars in the class. Show you are taking the inititive, and want the class to be a part of national events.
    A group always has more leverage that any single part of the group.

Dean

15. The Zone

The Zone Member

Rob, your mad at me now so you won't let me post on A/Fuel anymore. Were my posts that bad there. Don't think so. :( :(
    Get thicker skin. Nothing in my last few posts were directed at you, a little too sensitive I think. call me direct 604-826-5775 collect if you wish

Dean

[ October 16, 2003, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: The Zone ]

16. David Smith

David Smith Member

Tom as a Fan of the Top Alcohol Class and I know the many fans that are in the stands at a national event enjoy the long smokey burnouts. Unless it affects the tune up of a car I would not discourage a driver from doing a long burnout. I think NHRA is mainly concerned about downtime due to oil downs.

Rob if it was not for power failure delay and cold weather at Reading I believe there would of been more fans left in the stands when your final was run. I told my friend Jeff I was not leaving until the end. We cheered as you guys went by in the Tow Vechicle to pick Micheal up fortunately it was late and we had a 3 hour drive home so we unfortunately could not enjoy the victory celebration with you guys. We also told Koskys crew great job for the weekend as well as they went by.

777AFDKID great post. I was hoping to meet your Dad this year as I enjoyed following his success story this year. Its ashame how the story had to end for his great season he was having. I am glad to hear the team is building a new car.