Take a look at the potentially mandatory EM Shutoff switch...

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

2. nitrohemi

nitrohemi injected nitro!!

sounds great as long as you turn the air bottle on,

3. fuelslut

fuelslut New Member

how about a mandatory red blinking strobe light that goes on top of the mandatory driver shield that lets you know when the air is on?

4. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

How about a set of golf clubs instead.

5. Worms

Worms Member

Yep, that sounds like the smartest thing to do, next thing you know we will have to have the cars remote controlled. Where is this all headed? I am all for safety innovations, but this is getting out of control. Again the racers have to fork out $$$ to provide hopefully safer racing when all the common sense tells us that the tracks need to also look at their part of the bargain. Also, as a racer, when was the last time YOU checked out the braking area at the track you are about to head down? You know what happens when the circus has no animals for the show.....

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  6. Dale Finch

Dale Finch Member

Worms,
    I know that everything is expensive. David has this very reasonably priced. His stuff works. ITA has had many threads over several tragedies now. This sport needs to keep the insurance companies at bay too. Let's not lose anyone else.

7. eli

eli Banned

Wile there at it shouldn't they ad a brake activator switch? Most of the time the chute burns off the car so it's useless. :) ;)

8. DQUES

DQUES Member

Don't be surprised when a new chute material is made mandatory and the cost doubles or triples for a pair . Surely they will be certed and need a yearly inspection with the mfg.'s discretion to repair or destroy them .

9. Rodney O. Trower

Rodney O. Trower New Member

The auto brake was also one of my suggestions as was the shoot if the manifold pops. Along with air bags and water/foam barriers Its pretty simple here the tracks aint going to get longer, there arent going to be any tracks if the "animals" are all dead. A couple little nets and a bag of sand sure aint going to get it done....

10. Will Hanna

Staff Member

A/f

I also think this box needs to be mounted on an A/F car as well, with a wireless radio transmitter. That way if the blown car in the other lane knocks the panels out, it shuts the A/F car off in the other lane....:p

Before someone get's all spun off, I'm just kidding...couldn't resist...:D:D

11. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

What about cars with no burst panels?

Will how can this device be adapted to work on an A/Fuel car to prevent a Shelly Howard scenario? Perhaps a fishing weighted type of tether that would break when the cockpit is impacted? or severe tire vibration?

12. Will Hanna

Staff Member

wheelstand

me and toby graham worked on a rough design for a vertical g meter that would trigger such a device. it was met with some pretty heavy opposition, then kind of died out.

if nothing else, i think this shutoff should work on a timer to shut off everything at around 7 seconds or so. that would prevent a car coming back down track in the event of an icapacitated driver, and still allow enough time to win a round after pedaling.

this thing isn't going to be plug in play for all ta cars because there are still quite a few that don't run six shooters, so something is going to have to be done for the ignition kill part of it.

i think it will be good to have one switch to kill everything. in all honesty, it might save parts getting the motor killed quicker in the shutdown area when oil supply/pressure is usually terrible.

13. Mark Billington

guys, I'm not sure how much this thing costs but it sure looks like a good idea to me. I think we should be doing it, and if not, the guy a few comments up the string was right...better trade the car for golf clubs.

14. Dean Adams

I’ve purchased EM equipment for my own car and have no doubt this is quality stuff, but what’s next, an ejection seat? It’s the tracks that need fixing. Maybe this is a good idea for FC, but the logic seems to get weaker and weaker as we move to TF and then TAFC and TAD. As for preventing a repeat of what happened to Shelly Howard, I think mounting the rear wing so that its center of pressure is no further back than the rear axle would go a long way to eliminating blowovers in the first place.

15. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

Now that's Funny!:D

16. Will Hanna

Staff Member

my firesuit is still black, not 'orange'...

getting the chutes out can be the difference between a set of bottles and burning.

the first time i finally got my hand up on the chutes to drive into them, right about the time i pulled the handle on the roof, the whole cockpit was filled up with flame. i lifted, hoping it was just a burst panel and a flash fire that would go out. so i waited a second, only to continue to get fire in the cockpit and see little flames jumping out all around the injector. this seemed like an eternity, but after seeing the flames out the injector, i hit the bottles. the chutes were already out, so i was able to get it stopped quick and get the body up.

turns out it was blown head gasket No. 8 cyl. Maybe it would have went out, but there was oil all over the middle of the car, so who knows. bottom line is the car didn't burn down, and i was damn thankful i had actually drove into the chutes so that I could go directly to the bottles and worry about getting the car stopped.

most of the time knocking the panels out doesn't result in a fire, but if it does, it will be nice to have the laundry out already and be able to go straight to the bottles....

that said, i don't know that it would really be necessary on a dragster for knocking the panels out, but it would be handy to have one switch to do it all.

17. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

The monster truck guys have a remotely activated kill switch. It lives through all the shaking and battering they give it. Maybe that would work with somebody in the tower on the switch? Dave Germain

18. bryanbrown

bryanbrown Member

the way I read the diagram, the panels have to blow out for it to activate the chutes, therefore you'd still be in the same predicament.

Instead of air cylinders and electronics, why not just do what worsham did, which was put a wire from the body burst panel to the chute levers.

19. Will Hanna

Staff Member

right

bryan,

you're right. my point is it's nice to already have the laundry out if the panels do get knocked out and there is a fire. it won't prevent anything in regards to head gaskets.

20. CAlbertTAD149

CAlbertTAD149 New Member

i think this burst panel deal is a very good idea for a number of reasons. the only down side i could see would be putting out the burst panels and then having the chutes come out before the finish line and having a guy drive around you that you could have beaten had you just been coasting. However in this case that downside is out weighed by all the positives of this system. Also what if you were able to have one lever that was manually operated by the driver that could pull the chutes, fire bottles and fuel shut off all at the same time in case of a fire or other catostrophic incident?

will,

just wondering if those a fuel cars that blew over had wheelie bars? we've all seen them break, but i wasn't sure if they were used on those runs.