tafc 2 step is it leagel

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Tommy, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Tommy

Tommy Super Comp

i thought tafc 2 steps were not leagal but now barton was running one at pamona. does anyone know how come they can run one. just asking a question he ran good.

2. noelmanton

noelmanton Authorized Merchant

Rpm control

"The use of any
    automated rpm-control device during the staging/launching process
    is permitted. See General Regulations 8:3."
    NHRA quote

3. doug_ta

doug_ta Member

Its the start of the end. Look at Pro Mod, its become boring as hell now. Pro Mod has just become Pro Stock with blowers.

It takes away the spectacle of Top Alcohol racing (high start line RPMs), and it takes the driver out of the equation (no more swapping feet, its already on the floor). With the flick of a wrist, they (NHRA) could stop the use of it, but haven't (YET)!

It also brings out the potential for startline games (such as round 2 against DeJoria).

2-Steps should be banned, before it wrecks both Alcohol classes as well!!!

4. Creech

Creech Member

2 step is legal

But bald eagle is still illegal. Whats up with that?

5. eli

eli Banned

Well one is an endangered species, And the other is for P*$$yS. :p

6. jawbreaker

jawbreaker nonmember

Eli,
    Agree!
    Jawbreaker
    TAFC 13

7. bryanbrown

bryanbrown Member

8:3 IGNITION
    The use of any programmable multi-point rev limiter and/or a rateof-
    acceleration rpm limiter, either by themselves (e.g., MSD 7561)
    or integrated into the ignition system (e.g., MSD 7531), are
    prohibited in NHRA competition.

this is what is says in the rule book i downloaded today dated nov 2010. It also isn't listed in the amendments

8. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

2 step

I emailed Collins last year. All the two step stuff is legal. Even the electric solenoid to bleed fuel off.

I wish it wasn't so but I don't make the rules. My guess is 50% or more of the blown cars will be leaving at wot on the two step.

Don't hate the player, hate the game....

9. underby6

underby6 Active Member

We used a 2 step last season but still left at a close throttle position in relation to the 2 step RPM. With the torque converter we need to be able to get the RPM up instantly because we cannot roll into stage at a desired RPM like the clutch cars. We had plans and currently have our car setup to leave at WOT/2Step. Technically a clutch car still could rev up like before and roll in then floor it. It doesn't make the car any easier to drive so I don't see the problem with it. Now it's not as grand of a scale but what was said about the debut of the rear engine dragster? Technology isn't a bad thing....

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

10. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

Power Grid

7730 Looks like a nice unit.

Mark

11. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Rev limiter

Ok, Let me get this right- guys are staging on the rev limiter through the use of a two step? What happened to the idea that when a motor gets on the limiter you change the rods out? I had always been told if you hit the limiter to change the rods? I can understand how much easier it would be to leave at the right RPM this way. Just like supercomp. Or pro stock. Dave Germain

12. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

what your talking about is what i was always told IF say you rolled a sprag during a run and it suddenly free wheeled and hit the limiter.

13. td314b

td314b New Member

2 step

We have been using a 2 step on our car for over 6 years with no problems. We run a lenco drive and I never liked the air cylinder so we did the 2 step. Everyone said it couldn't be done but it works just great for us. In truth I prefer bringing the RPMS up to put it into the lights but since I do not have a clutch that is just not an option for us. We run a roots blower and have not seen any issues with it. It is only on the 2 step for about .4 of second at most. Sometimes you can't even tell I put it on the 2 step it comes off it so fast. I like to stage last!

On a side note it is amazing to leave the line with so much boost!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  14. Creech

Creech Member

You can use a 2 step but 15 will still get you 20 unless its http://...
    The 2 step has been legal for awhile but not as long as http://...

15. Barry Ferriolo

Is it a safe assumption that Alexis wasn't using a 2 step?

16. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Yes. Just speculation on my part, but Bartone rushed to get backed up. She had pulled into the top bulb, Tony took the top bulb and just bumped all the way in and sat there, she didn't move and sat idling until it was too late. In her defense, there wasn't so much as a courtesy rev before he staged, but in his defense, he had been staging the same way(quiet) all weekend.

17. doug_ta

doug_ta Member

People is there any way to have a say at NHRA about the 2 step before it becomes a must have. So you don't get the shaft by a super quick guy knocking on the second lite as soon as the first guys prestage even looks like being lit.
    Can we can do something before it is too late. Lets preserve both classes while there is a chance

Doug

18. underby6

underby6 Active Member

You can always stage first and put the rush on them, even pre stage first for that matter. All this talk about the driver not doing anything and electronics ruining racing, but then we want courtesy revs..it's a competition....a race... I've had two separate drivers try to stage first (I lit pre-stage and they rolled both bulbs at once), with me telling them I had a converter and 2 step/ I'd pre stage right away and then bump in and wait...this was prior to the run, and they still tried to stage first.....I respect that, they're there to win a race as am I; just something I file in my memory bank. I understand this is a community and we are all friends but at the same time competition is about exploiting weakness and using all you have to win...am I wrong?

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011