tad/tafc rules for 07

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

here's what i'm hearing the rules for the alky cars are next year...supposedly done deal.

-head and neck restraints mandatory

-digital ignition allowed for supercharged cars - no a/fuel

-electronic fuel timers allowed in both categories

-a/fuel minimum weight 2150

-belly pans on tafc

-lencodrive tafc 128 od (just kidding):D

2. JBJ

JBJ Member

So now it 's four years in a row that that the A/F cars get a rule change to slow them down, and on top of that the blower cars got the overdrive a few races ago. They should have waited too see how everything shakes out.

3. Doug Randazzo

Doug Randazzo New Member

hmmm...you mean like when they said the a/fuel cars couldn't run on anything less than 100% nitro, so they upped it from 96% to 98%? How did that seem to work out?

4. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

Will,

I dont see Mick and Larry Snyder needing any assistance with their Lencodrive car. Give it some time, youll figure it out. Or put a clutch in it :p :D

5. JBJ

JBJ Member

hmmm...you mean like when they said the blown cars won't run in the 20's and if they do would be high 20's with just more overdrive? how did that work out? quicker than making 98% work I would say.

Originally Posted by JBJ
    They should have waited too see how everything shakes out.

Doug you ask me if I mean like when they said the a/fuel cars couldn't run on anything less than 100% nitro, so they upped it from 96% to 98%? No that's not what I mean. What I mean is what I said and nothing more. I think it's great that the blower cars got the overdrive. With the A/F cars getting more weight it's time for different size engines again.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  6. Will Hanna

Staff Member

for the record...

for the record gallant ran his first 5.28 the first pass on 98%

i think next year will be very interesting in tad. it looks like there is more parity in the class than there has been in a long time.

i just wonder what kind of guidelines they will follow for the tafc belly pan.

7. eli

eli Banned

Has any A/Fuel car ever taken all the weight out of there car to see if they could run a 4 second time? ;)

8. Thurston

Thurston New

Belly Pan

Will, we have been running belly pans in AFC over in IHRA for some time now. No big deal making one, and in combination with the dipper they work real well. The unintended results, the pan keeps the dipper from getting damaged on high/low spots in the pits.

Jim Thurston

9. Funnycarsrule

Funnycarsrule Member

Hey Will, is the head and neck restraint you are talking about the Hans Device?? Thanks Mike

10. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

i have been running a belly pan for 2 years now and it has saved me a couple times. lets just hope the prices on the head and neck restraints don't go through the roof now that santioning bodies are mandating them. i was planing on getting one this winter anyways.

11. Doug Randazzo

Doug Randazzo New Member

And all I'm saying is NHRA made a knee-jerk reaction because some cars hadn't figured it out on 96%, inVEGAS, and now your knee is twitching after one event in a mineshaft.
    I'm also predicting a blown car will run a high teen once teams get things sorted out, and if the conditions are similar to VA.
    Oh. The HANS is a good idea.

12. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

The A-Fuel cars have a half dozen 5 teens at 98%, I'd say they still rule the Roost.

13. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

Our TAFC is set up as an IHRA (roots) deal and because we have the one national event at home here in Edmonton we run the belly pan as well. At first I hated the idea, and reafirmed that when fitting it to the car, but once we got ours to fit I really liked it. As Thurston said, yeah it has saved our diaper a bunch of times, and it also seems to catch more than just oil from rods coming out too - things such as loose nuts, that grey blower belt fluff from new belts, and whatever fine mist of oil that leaks from that mystery place on the motor.

I bought a HANS last winter from Dennis Taylor, and I'll tell you all what he told me before I tried it - "Once I drove with it I'd never get back in the car without it." I now also agree with that statement, after the 2nd or 3rd run you don't even notice it - except that your neck doesn't get as sore from pulling the chutes after a long weekend.:)

14. Will Hanna

Staff Member

correction

I missed on the A/F weight for next year, it will be 2125 lbs, a 25 lb increase.

I would be willing to bet the only change most teams make in regards to that is a new sticker on the back of the roll cage with "2125" written in the minimum weight spot...

Also, BAD minimum weight was increased that same 25 lbs to 2050...so it's a wash in terms of parity.

Head and neck restraints will either be HANS or the Hutchens device.

15. DQUES

DQUES Member

Any idea which digital ignition may be legal for the blown cars . Msd part # ?.

16. Will Hanna

Staff Member

part #

i didn't get any parts numbers off the email i recieved.

17. OKC-Oilie

OKC-Oilie Funny Car

Will, your PM bank is full. Pelae contact me at 405-250-9457 or through email at oilieone@cox.net for possible assistance with web site

Wayne

18. Ed Vickroy

Ed Vickroy New Member

07 rules

will why has NHRA mandated hans type devices for TAD when its not mandated in Top Fuel or Top Fuel funny cars? Just wondering

19. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

i'm pretty sure that i saw it somewhere that is was already in print for the pros for next year and i figured we weren't far behind

20. bryanbrown

bryanbrown Member

what is the hutchens device, and how does it differ from the hans? where can you get them, and how much do they each cost.

thanks
    bryan