TAD parity? Shields/Finke/Gallant all run 5.30s

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by wolfgang, Feb 14, 2009.

1. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

Bradenton, Div. 2 first race of the year:

Shields 5.33, Finke 5.35, Gallant 5.38.

Despite all the complaining, have we finally achieved as close to parity as we're going to get? Looks like 94% is inching closer to the 20's all the time.

2. glorifiedchainsaw

glorifiedchainsaw New Member

get a dictionary

You must not understand the word parity. How do you have parity when there is only one style of car in attendance?

According to your thought process, if the fuelers get into the 20's then parity is achieved!? Huh? However, if Demke,Whitley, and Schmeckle were in attendance they would have run or shall I say should have run 5.13 to 5.15. :rolleyes:Yep, parity would have been achieved. Remember, the blower cars were running twenties at the same time the fuelers were running mid to high fortys at Pomona.

It really doesn't make a difference though. A blown dragster hasn't improved in SEVEN years. Maybe you should take your COMPLAINING and re-direct it towards the blown cars. Tell 'em to speed it up.;)

3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

cough...

I'm going to go ahead and call bullshit on that one. Pomona was a mineshaft and we didn't see any LOW .20's out of a blown car much less a high teen or low teen.

For whatever it's worth, the blown cars are running the same combo they've had for the last two years. New combo for the A/Fuelers. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it may take a couple of runs to get a good handle on what it wants. For Gallant and Finke to run mid .30's at their first event tells me it won't be too much longer before they are in the low .30's and high .20's. Shields has a few more laps than them. Let's not forget Darien's .34 in Phoenix.

I know the blown car I tuned was a back of the pack kind of car, but I got pretty excited when we ran a 5.34..

Any time I hear this seven year argument, all it does is show how little you really know.

If any of you got this whole deal figured out enough to go make a blown car run teens, I'm sure you could make a lot of money doing it, so have at it....

4. Vernon Wilde

Vernon Wilde Member

The air in Florida is pretty close to Pomona, within acouple of hundred feet corrected. Lets wait to see what happens when the corrected gets in the 2500' - 3000' range. There are just a few places that run this early or late in the year that have good air. I'll reserve my opinion for acouple of more events to see what the real impact of 94% is.

5. glorifiedchainsaw

keep coughing........

Actually, you think you know alot more than you do. The corrected alt. for last nights run was better than ANY C.A. in Pomona. The only thing Pomona had over FL was that it was cooler. YOU were there. YOU should know that.

Any time you hear this seven year argument, you bounce to another topic. It really shows how little you know. Have they improved?

6. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

Mister, did you actually read my original post before replying?

Please copy and paste where I was COMPLAINING as you say in the final paragraph.

If Demke, Whitely, and Schmeekle were there, to answer your question, NO, they would not have run a 5.13 or 5.15. Are you a jr. high kid? Don't you think it's a silly question to even ask since the fastest a blown car has ever gone is what, 5.25 or 5.26?

The runs that Demke, Whitely, and Schmeekle ran at Pomona were at or near the performance peak for the blown cars using today's rules.

Regarding Gallant, Shields, Finke, and Bill Evans from round 1 today, the reason why I mentioned parity is despite only 1 blown car on the property in Bradenton, the performances improved much from less than 30 days ago when the first guys started testing at 94%.

Will Reichert run a 5.15 out of the box? Possible, but I'll believe it when I see it. More likely, when the afuelers get their tuneups figured out, they may be a few hundredths quicker than the top blown cars, but then again, the blown guys seem to have a reaction time advantage, so it may even out.

Right now, under 2009 rules, the quickest Afueler is 5.33, and the quickest blown run was what, a 5.27 last week? A margin of 6 hundredths of a second between the best performances of both types is a heck of a lot better than a margin of 2 tenths, don't you agree?

7. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

Cooler. AND Pomona track surface was prepared for a national event. Track was also absent of oil and hydrocarbon residue collected during four days of class cars due to repeated rain and track drying/re-prep. those are big differences. Anyone who's worked on an alcohol car knows this.

8. glorifiedchainsaw

Ugggh. Re-read the post. Do you think I really need to answer? Who is the jr. schooler? :rolleyes:

The bottom line is that the a-fuelers need to stop being hit and the blower cars just need to step it up.

9. Woodchip

Any car regardless of it being an A fuel car or a blown car will get hit if it runs 280+ and in the teens. At those speeds they are outrunning the divisional tracks capacity to stop them. We all know that.

10. Will Hanna

Staff Member

bs

Dear Underrated Machete,

You obviously don't have a clue if you think any blown car is capable of low 5.teens in any condtions short of a cliff in a mineshaft.

I was told the DA in Pomona on Tuesday was around 300 ft. Thursday through Monday it was around 1500 ft, plus or minus. If you don't think 300 ft is a mineshaft, refer to above statement.

First off, the "seven year" argument isn't even really accurate. In 2002, Shields ran a 5.26 in -800 ft corrected on near perfect track conditions in Etown. Have we seen those conditions since then at a national? Maybe once or twice?

BTW, how many of you that rattle this BS about 7 years with no improvement have the balls to go ask Norm Grimes why he's been so damn stupid the last few years he can't go faster than he did 7 years ago? Probably not since your posting from a nickname. Hell Thacker and Perry ran mid .20s 2 years ago, why not teens by now?

Let me give you a real quick blower motor education. It all revolves around how good of a blower you have. You can run low gears, tall gears, no clutch, lots of clutch, high compression, low compression, but it all revolves around that blower. Here's the kicker, so pay attention...THE BLOWN CARS HAVE HAD THE SAME BLOWER SINCE 1997! Sure there have been marginal improvements since then. Probably explains the marginal improvements in ET. NHRA really opened the door for some improvements to head design around 2006 when we saw a couple different mfg's make newer designs. Also, newer rocker designs have been allowed since then. Let's not forget different safety rules have all the cars carrying about 100 lbs more weight than they used to. Mid to low 5.30's are a lot more common place by blown cars than they were in 02. More teams have run .20's.

Let's not forget a smart blown team running for points isn't going to show up at a lot of races that have mineshaft potential. Also, anyone that has been around both combinations realizes that the blown cars have been around 90% efficiency of what a blown car can run. Maybe the A/FD's are getting close that as well now, I don't know. They definitely wasn't 7 years ago. Considering they have improved despite several nitro percentage reductions kind of shows that the A/F monster was definitely not harnessed in 2002. They have made alot of gains since then and won every Championship to boot.

This response isn't me saying there is or isn't parity this year, it's responding to the utter bullshit your saying. As I've said before, I'm holding off judgement until Houston. As Vernon said, I'd really like to see how a few teams do in the heat as well. Once Reichert got that thing right at the end of the year, it ran low .20's just about anywhere.

In closing, I would say it's awful ballsy to call out some of the smartest racers we've seen in a while such as Norm Grimes, Marty Thacker and Steve Federlin and tell them they're all a bunch of whining dumbasses that haven't done anything in 7 years. I would say that, but that would require you leaving a real name. As to what it really is, we'll, I think most of the readership here is smart enough to figure out...

11. Chris Demke

Chris Demke Super Comp

Mitch Myers said what?

Whatever. Your attitude is getting old, and your whining is just an echo of the immortal words of 2004 TAD National Champ Mitch Myers:

"These cars won't run on [less than 100] percent," said Myers. "It's unfortunate for the sport, and I'm going to miss NHRA Drag Racing, but I just can't play that game."

I probably never would have had the opportunity to run 5.27 (our team's first 5.2) if the rules had not changed. The air was real good and the track was great! The way I see it the 5.30 I ran in the 1st round would probably have got beat by an A/Fooler running a 5.17 on %96!!! :D:D

-chris

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  12. marklee

marklee Blown Alcohol Dirt Drags

speech

WOW Spoken like a MAN Will !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Woodchip

Congrats on your 27 Chris, Shame you don't have an on board video of that for your youtube channel.

14. The Zone

The Zone Member

Will was the air as Pomona really mineshaft (or Chris Demke for that matter), I saw 1400 feet as the best air there. I would say mineshaft is less than 1000 or really less than 500 feet. Where you there Will. Did you tune a car there.
    How do you like the calendar.
    Was was the best corrected air in Gainesville. I did not see under 1700 and (DRC's #'s)

Also The point was to slow down the A/Fers "GLORIFIED". That is what you have to grasp.
    Parity is important and might be as close as it has been the last few years, but another month or two will determine that.

" I just noticed Wills earlier post on what he heard the air was at Pomona. The weekend was good air but the tuesday was great air".
    Dean

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  15. Will Hanna

Staff Member

air

this is what I was told by a team that went a couple four rounds on tuesday....300 ft. often times the dragracecentral air is close, but they use a handheld et predictor type unit. sometimes i've seen their reports be way off what my weather stations I've tuned by said. Hell look at how much faster PS was. That's usually the best weather station...

16. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

A PS car won't run a .970 60-ft @ 1400ft.

17. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

The only way you'll see the Parity first hand is when they run in 80+ degree weather. Then you'll see first hand if anyone's solved the 94% or not.

18. The Zone

The Zone Member

Justin, yes it will. Look back over the last few years many sub .990 60's by ps cars over 1500 feet.
    Dean

19. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Settle down Will your blood pressure gets up when this subject comes up.
    I agree with you pretty much about the blower but on the other hand one of your earlier replys as to why the blown cars did not run better when they were given MORE overdrive was something about the air stacking up in the ports. So how is it now that you think the blower output is the answer to everthing.
    Not you Will but This topic always seems to be dominated by people who don't have a dog in the fight or experience running either type of car. Some of them sound like a president we just elected who has no experience at anything but answers for everything.
    I am also with Vernon on waiting until we get to the hot weather. Most a-fuel guys know what will happen. If you are looking for parity in the class it can't be the results of one or two division races where there mostly all a-fuel cars there and the air was below sea level like -200 feet in Gainville.
    Bob Holley

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  20. baux

baux fuel altereds forever

I have a question nitrohawk... What dog does Will have in this fight?! If you refer back to some of his previous posts, he once leaned the afuel way... Now he leans the other way... Maybe it depends what kind of car his friends have... JMO. Anyhow the speculation on what the air was and wasnt cracks me up cause I dnt believe we ran in -200ft in g-ville, and I was there. No question the percent change is hard on parts cuz we have to run them harder... But the rule has been handed down so deal with it. We will most likely struggle in the heat too! but lets not start sounding like a bunch of blown guys and whine about it... goodluck to all

anthony dicero

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009