Tachometer and shiftlight.

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Rusty Kramer, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Rusty Kramer

Rusty Kramer New Member

What type of tach/shiftlights are you using on a B.A.D. Wondering about adjustable shift lights vs chip type. I have been looking at the autometer stuff.

Thanks

Rusty

2. Herb

Herb Super Comp

I have used the Autometer that uses the separate generator. I have had no interference problems. I also use a separate LED shift light from autometer. works fine. You have to have a tach drive takeoff somewhere with the generator tach though. Regards Western Country Racing

3. was R4K

was R4K Member

we use the adjustable autometer and find it very handy- the upside is we can test it in warm up by adjusting it down to 4M or whatever- very disconcerting to find out the light has malfunctioned during a run. We have also switched to the LED light that is adjustable.

4. Andy Bissett

Andy Bissett TAD 4

We used the LED Autometer system with the seperate RPM activated switch on a BAD and it worked very well.

I liked the fact that the chip seems a lot more secure in the switch unit than when they slot into the light itself because I've had them shake out of the light. You can also get 3500 RPM chips to test them out on a warmup.

The LED lights are definitely the way to go; much brighter and way more reliable than a single bulb. One thing to be aware of though is that this system counts the ignition pulses from the points box to determine motor RPM. So if you use the MSD points box with the rev limiter and hit the limiter which cuts out of some of those pulses the shift light will go out. That caused us a problem on one very crazy run so a driver should be aware of this.

Hope this helps,

Andy

5. Rusty Kramer

Rusty Kramer New Member

Thanks for taking the time to help! I really appreciate all your input!

Rusty