Supercharged Alky BBC Heads

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Force Fed, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Force Fed

Force Fed Member

Who makes the best BBC heads for a supercharged application?
    I have been looking at the AJPE Billet BBC Heads but would like the pros & con
    on other brands.

Alan

2. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

We have run blown alky BBC's since the early 70's, but are limited to "conventional" heads.

I'm wondering if any one could compare the "large" runner Big Chief's vs the "normal" ones.:eek:

3. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

I just went through this education process myself not too many months ago.

Here's what I learned, via some good sources.

GM 990 Rectangle ports, fully ported, will Peter out around 1500 HP.

Dart 360s, with a full port by an expert (other than Dart), will produce from 2100-2300 HP. Ported by Dart, up to about 2100HP.

Dart Big Chiefs, again ported by someone other than Dart, up to about 2800 HP. Ported by Dart, up to about 2400 HP.

Now, supposedly, the baddest conventional cylinder head out is the BMF 405. It's the one most talked about over on Yellowbullet.com when the blower guys ask about the best conventional head. http://www.thebmfstore.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=20

4. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

I'm assuming your talking using a top of the line 14-71??? and even still, 2800 HP, wow! It's hard for me to believe, do you think that's right? I'm not discrediting, I've simply worked with what I thought was some badass 2400 HP hemi's and thought they could hardly get better.
    I can tell you that in the tractor pulling world, the best chevy's vs the best hemi's, the chevy's have been coming out ahead. Right now this is the best apples to apples comparison I've ever seen as far as money, knowledge, etc. in pulling.
    Veney/Sassy Chrysler's vs Chevy's with Pontiac heads and PSI roots blowers.

If I could figure out how to post a pic from my harddrive:confused: Help please:confused:

5. Mac

Mac Member

Can you get the BMF's in solid? Will they out preform the Dart Big M 410cc head?

6. craig moss

craig moss Member

hp

I have been told and been trough part of it heads that flow 425 and 290 blown alk will make around 15-1600 hp and big chief will make around 19-2000 hp

7. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

There are 3 motors sitting in the shop right now that make 1600 HP with Dart 360's using 8-71's.

My indirect experience with Big M's is that unless you open the valve to .900"+ you gain very little, but my data is not exactly concrete. Has anyone compared 360's vs 410's on the dyno?:)

8. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

My Chevy Iron 990 heads flowed 350/230 @ .700. That motor, with a messed up tune made 1300 HP.

According to Bill @ Oddys, and Rob Adler of A-Team Auto (Tinley Park, IL), my current combination of Dart 360 head with 14-71 B-Rotor at 35% over will make approximately 2000-2100 crank HP.

Everyone knows who Oddy's is, and Rob/Randy Adler had the fastest street car records for a few years in the late 90s with their blown GTO. They now run Nitro Coupe at Super Chevy events.

Mac;

Don't know if they come in solid, but it'd be worth a phone call. :) Maybe if they don't you could fill them?

9. 23/cobrajet/tee

SoDak register and upload your picture at http://photobucket.com/ then you can post it here, it worked for me.
    Ken

10. Mac

Mac Member

I want a set of solid Profiler 12 degree heads:D Anyone ran any yet? I see Scott Filkins runs them with his pro mod program and ran a 5.98@233 mph with Lonnie Houde tuning it! Thats one fast WEDGE!

11. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Lucky picture

[​IMG]
    Here's a picture I took at Louisville, KY this winter.
    I thought you guys would be interested in seeing this. Basically the rules are; limit 4 motors, 8-71's and 7500 lbs max weight. (it's hard to cheat the 4 motor rule:D:D:D)
    The left one is Terry Jostock, Sassy/Veney chrysler hemi's, he got 2nd and even though he broke a planetary he would not have caught the Chevy's.
    These motors are crank to crank but the back two motors are facing backawards and turning backawards. The cams are ground backawards and the blowers are driven off of the other rotor. Their is only one clutch per 2 motors and its inbetween them. This is for weight distribution reasons.
    The middle one is Bill Vories, Chevy's with Pontiac heads, either Oddy?? or Fowler?? builds the motors, he won both nights. He torched a head gasket at about 235 ft, had aluminum green flames about 8-10 ft high, never let out of the throttle and put it in the sand pile at about 250ft. (sandpiles are used for indoor events as barriers)
    The right one is Bill Leischner, Arias Hemi motors, I think he builds them??. He got third.
    These motors are back to back and inline but each have their own clutch. The back two motors are facing backawards and turning backawards also utilizing the backawards cams and blowers.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  12. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

13. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

14. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

So their is all this info out there regarding NA motors and little on blown. A Big Chief vs 360 is about 100 HP difference in a NA motor but your thinking it's 600 HP diff when blown?

I'm wondering because I don't have any good data to support numbers like this and right now I'm going to a head that will make 65 more HP naturally, so I need to figure out what that will be blown so my fuel is close.

15. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

Well, look at it this way. Unless you throw down some REEEEAALLLY big bucks on port work, a Dart 360 tops out at around 425/300 on flow @ around .800 lift.

Now, you switch over to a Big Chief 11 degree head, and it flows 500+/350+ CFM at .950 lift.

That's going to me more than a measly 100HP if you have the cubes and blower airflow to support it.

16. MKR-588

MKR-588 Member

Wow! 2100HP.Are they for real? Were do you go from here. Do you need a new chassis update to run into the 6's at well over 190 mph? Man thats truckin.Only one way to find out I guess.

17. mopar

mopar New Member

blown bbc to run 7.50s build up

Cheap Big Block Chevy Blown Build Up To Run 7.50s

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drag Racing Story of the Day!
    How to Build a Bulletproof 7.50 Blown Alky Chevy

By Brendan Murry
    Reprinted by permission of nostalgiafunnycars.com

Brendan Murry won the 1998 Good Guys race using the motor described in this article.
    Photo thanks to Brendan Murry.
    Reprinted by permission of nostalgiafunnycars.com

Brendan Murry at Performance Motorsports has provided this information. Anybody, who uses any part of this information or just reads it should go and visit his web site. If you want to buy parts and pieces for a motor of this type, consider buying from him. This kind of information to this detail is very hard if not impossible to find let alone share. His web site is www.racecarparts.com for those who can't wait. I would recommend waiting and reading this article through a couple of times before deciding on a racing direction. -- Jim Burke

There are many ways to skin a cat; this is how we do it at Performance Motorsports:

Block:
    Start with a tall deck Chevrolet 4 bolt-main truck block. This block has the following advantages:

Truck block has thicker cylinder walls
    Almost always comes with a steel crankshaft
    Block is fairly inexpensive

The first two items come in handy for this project.

Block Machine work:
    Deck the block and bore it to .030 over size to make sure the bores are straight. Finish hone it to a smooth finish with 320 grit and plateau brush the bores this makes for a very even, clean bore.

Next o-ring the block and install the o-ring wire.

Wash everything with plenty of hot water and soap. When thoroughly dry, install Milodon main studs, and oil restrictors. We use the Donovan gear drive front cover (RCD makes a very fine piece too, very similar in design in all billet aluminum.

Crankshaft:
    The crankshaft is sent to the crankshaft shop, to be turned .010/.010 under sized on the main and rod journals. We usually run our motors on the loose side, .004 rod and main clearance.

This is a good time to cut the crankshaft for two keyways on the snout to better hold the blower pulley. While it is at the crankshaft shop be sure to have it checked for straightness.

Have all the oil holes chamfered and the crankshaft polished.

Installing the Crankshaft:
    We install the crankshaft seal (the gray one) and use our special mixture of 50 weight Kendall and assembly lube on the bearing surfaces of the CHILDS and ALBERT bearings. Carefully lay the crankshaft in place after installing the crankshaft gear.

You can check the clearance with plastic gauge, this should be done dry before final assembly (plastic gauge is an easy way to check clearances and very easy to use even at the track).

Torque the mains to 110 Lbs. and back off 3 times, this will pre-stress the hardware.

Next, install the camshaft and the camshaft thrust plate.

Install one ARIAS 11.1 piston and rings combo and a .500 long Brooks aluminum rod in #1 cylinder. (Long rods makes less stress on the cylinder wall ------less stress =longer life).

We will find TDC and install a RCD crank hub, mark top dead center and proceed to degree the camshaft.

Camshaft:
    We usually run 2-4 degrees advance with a 701/320/114 Howard's cam and Crower roller lifters.

701/320/114 Cam means:
    701 = Valve lift
    320 = duration
    114 = lobe centers

Connecting Rods & Pistons:
    Install the other 7 piston-rod combos with the ring end clearance set. The rule is looser is better than tighter. We add .005 to whatever the manufacturer recommends.

Torque the rod bolts to 75# loosen and re-torque three separate times, this will help in the long run. Check the rod clearance for .030-050 side clearance.

Button up the cam cover and the fuel pump drive extension.

Oil system:
    Install the TITAN sportsman oil pump and shaft and install the MILODON 8 quart dragster style oil pan. We run KENDALL 50-weight oil and with the TITAN sportsman oil pump we run with 85 lbs. of oil pressure.

Cylinder Heads & Valve Train:
    Install Milodon head studs hand tight in the block. As for cylinder heads, there are many ways to go. I prefer the Chevrolet iron 990 casting. We do a little port matching and bowl blending with our Standard Abrasives porting kit.

We use the iron heads because:

We are shooting for 1000-1200 horsepower
    They are readily available
    They flow well
    The iron is especially durable and holds heat well

They run $200-$450.00 and since you don't run water sometimes finding a crack can be a bargaining tool.

We install Milodon stainless exhaust valves and intake valves and add .002 to your valve guide clearance. Install K-Motion kr1000 valve springs and titanium retainers and keepers set. Use 235-lb. spring pressure @1.950- and a good 3-angle valve job.

We bolt on the heads and torque to 80 lb. with a SCE .060 head gaskets. 060 gives you a softer hit and something to tune with at altitude where you can change this to .043 gaskets for more compression.

We install Crower push rods and rockers. Norris stainless rockers are very durable, but are a little heavy. Next, install your favorite brand of stud girdle. Mine is the Moroso's I've had since 83'. We use the B&B valve covers or the Billet Fabrication valve covers. I install the quick release breather 1" tube to a puke tank.

Blower & Fuel system:
    For an intake manifold I prefer the Littlefield tall deck manifold and a 6-71 Littlefield alcohol Teflon lined blower turning 25% over drive. We use an Enderle bug catcher and the Nitro barrel valve at .009 (69 % Leak on the barrel valve).

An Enderle 110 pump and a high speed set at 65 lbs. with an 85 jet. Use a 140 -170 main jet and 52 jet for the injectors.

Ignition:
    We use the Mallory Super Mag III with Mallory wires and NGK #9 spark plugs.

Overview:
    This combo is a proven setup, not real fancy with trick of the week gizmos, but a reliable setup with which we have won six world championships. You can update or change this recipe to suit your tastes, but it should give you a baseline with a minimum of headaches.

Brendan Murry
    www.racecarparts.com
    Your Online Supermarket of Race Car Parts
    1520 Minnesota Avenue
    San Jose, CA 95125
    408-266-3324

18. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Where do the old billet, Mandolini BacMan heads fall into all of this?
    The Wheatman has some for sale. His rules say no billet.

19. GFORCE

GFORCE New Member

Heads

I would LIKE to know that Answer ALSO?Since i have a set of Billet Heads-By Morgan-That are F/Sale!!!
    I know they Sure LOOK SWEET!
    Later
    G :cool:

20. lucky2wd

lucky2wd Member

SoDak.. the Bac man heads don't have an oem style intake port... I think they were ruled to run with the big chief head.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008