Steve Torrence is gone.....

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by The Zone, Feb 14, 2006.

1. The Zone

The Zone Member

from the Conway owned A/Fuel car!!!!!! Speedzone has the sketchy details.

2. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

Burndown? All the kid had to do was stage.

3. eli

eli Banned

What? mommy going to turn drag racing into little leage baseball???, hey check your guns at the tower!!!

4. D. Palmer

D. Palmer TA/FC

Anybody hear why the rear wing came off in that 2nd round vs. Federlin?? never heard of a burndown causing a wing to fall off...

5. D. Palmer

D. Palmer TA/FC

Just read the other thread about the wing ....nevermind... LOL

6. The Zone

The Zone Member

yer right chip

7. blownracer/a-fuel

It was not a burndown! Steve thought that Steve was having problems so Steve did not want to mess Steve up so Steve waited on Steve. Figure that out.

8. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 Member

Where is it written that the blown alcohol car has to stage first when racing an A fuel car??? As noted, all Steve T. had to do was stage when he was ready, Steve F was just waiting to make sure he had enough time to not feel rushed....

9. Don Hudson

Don Hudson Supa fly

deano,
    Great reporting, Please keep us informed. this is very interesting stuff. I always wanted to quit but my mom wouldn't allow it....THANKS MOM!!!

10. The Zone

The Zone Member

Don you kill me. I'll call you in the next week. Can't wait to see the new paint.
    Yer momma, always said you were a cry baby.
    Glad she didn't let you quit either.
    In my opinion A/Fuelers should stage first, and usually the do or are very close to the same time as a blown car.
    Dean

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  11. Don Hudson

Don Hudson Supa fly

Deano, Thanks for the kind words(checks in the mail)

As a guy that has raced against these cars(a/fuel) It really doesnt matter who goes in first or last, The NHRA has a cure for that, its called auto start.
    If losing a great ride and your credibility over who goes in first or last is worth it. Then I'll go in first and kick the guys ASS ( on the tree, or at the beer tavern..) Maybe im getting old, but its soo hard to work and get your self to a point that your competitive out there to go and throw it away over something like this. Mr. Conway, I'd drive your car in a heartbeat. Feel free to call.
    Hudson

12. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

wow. a guy makes world champion and next thing you know is that he is out of here. Amazing. I know Steve Federlin pretty well and he is a upright decent guy who has been racing forever. I truly can't imagine he would play starting line games. Steve and Patty Federlin are probably some of the nicest folks around so if Torrence has issues maybe he needs to look inward. How old is Torrence? I quit listening to my mom when I ran away from home and joined the navy at age 17.

13. bulldog6

bulldog6 A/Fuel #4

I agree. The Federlin's are some of the nicest people at the track. That makes how many years now that the reigning world champ is without a ride????

14. madcow

madcow Member

15. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

If you are driving an A-Fuel car you should not put the motor on the hi side until both pre stage lights are on if you stage first or last. These engines will run for a long time on the low side if idle is correct without much of a problem.
    I t takes 3 to 4 seconds for the fuel system press to get up and stabalize after turning the fuel full on and it has been my experience from checking the computer time from full on to full throttle is about 5 to six seconds after both lights are lit. I wasn,t at the race but from the reports it sounds like both drivers could have prevented this from happening.
    Bob Holley

16. The Zone

The Zone Member

There were other issues beside the blow up by Steve's mom in Federlin's trailer.
    The wing deal is one of the issues that Steve T was very upset about from my sources and a comment about it was said to Conway. From there the percieved safety issues turned more pronounced and that was when Torrence, family and certain crew walked away with decals in tow.. Whether this is permanent or not we will have to wait and see.

I agree that mom was way out of line in the issue as well.

Dean

17. LaDon

LaDon New Member

Well I was there and seen it all happen up on the line and in the pits. Federlin is right there is no rule about staging both can go in. I myself when I race I like staging first but can go either way. I dont think that if someones mom had kept her mouth shut someone would still be in the car but I have to credit Conway he wants to have ppl be professional in his pits from the looks of it and going and yelling at ppl without a good reason isnt too professional.

18. The Zone

The Zone Member

The issue has been updated at SpeedZone.
    And to make it perfectly clear, the safety of the car is no an issue.
    And I for one should have guess that and understood that especially do to the team history.
    For me to mention the percieved safety issue was irresponsible and I apologise to Tom and Shane Conway.

Dean

19. Steve Torrence

Steve Torrence Jr. Dragster

well... i'll go ahead and put an end to all the rumors and questions.

Yes my mother and Patty Federlin had some words, and I'll be the first to admit that it was completely unfounded and out of line on my mom's part but both her and Patty made amends.

Steve and I talked at the end of the track and everything was fine. Racing is racing and he did what he set out to do , get me off of my game. And i dont have a problem with it, thats his job as a driver.

The race with Steve had NOTHING to do with events that have taken place in the last couple days.

Also to be stated safety was NOT an issue here at all. Having nothing to do with the wing incident.

Instead there was an existing problem amongst the team spawning from before Pomona that has now been resolved.

I WILL CONTINUE to drive for Tom.

20. bulldog6

bulldog6 A/Fuel #4

Good to hear Steve. See you in Gainesville!