...So who's fault is it anyway?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Tim5636sc, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Tim5636sc

Tim5636sc New Member

During my 32 years on this planet, 27 of them have been in one way or the other involved in NHRA Drag Racing. Either as a "Pledge Puke" (the name my dad gave me for having a can of pledge and a rag to clean the cars) or as a crew chief and driver of a super comp dragster, one thing has not ever changed....My love of the TAD CLASS! I am a huge fan! However, one thing is certain....I CAN'T STAND THE A/FD's! They just sound god AWWWWEEEEFFFFUUUUULLLLL! "BLAHHHHHHH" and that's when they are running on all 8! But that's just my opinon....
    But, I was wondering....WHO'S FAULT,,,(OR CREDIT TO THOSE WHO SUPPORT THE A/FUELERS) is it for today's emergance of the A/Fuel Class??????
    ...just my .02 cents...:cool:

2. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

Oh boy now you have done it. I hear the A/Fool guys warming up their keyboards.

I dunno what it is but from the first time I heard a supercharged methanol engine the first year they added alky to pro comp in the early seventies it has been music to my ears ever since.

3. Chris Demke

Chris Demke Super Comp

Ouch!!!

Dude, I think that you are being kinda harsh, and asking for a real pummeling to post such an opinion here...

But to answer your question, I would have to give credit to Ches Bushey/Dana Hopewell for being the first in recent times (last ~10 yrs) to make an A/Fueler run fast AND consistent.

Let the flames begin!!!

chris 'trained monkey' demke

4. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

i think i will add my .02 on this one if thats ok. i think the man responsible is gene adams. he tuned roger o'dells car with ed vickroy driving. the car flew! went 5.77 at 253 or something like that, then nhra slapped another 1/2 lb. per cube on 'em. brooks brown comes out the next year and goes 5.69. i still have to say that gene was the one who really opened everyones eyes to the a/fuel deal. he later worked with keith stark, and we all know how he ran. just my .02

5. DQUES

DQUES Member

If my memory serves me right the injected nitro combo has been in the rule book for many years . Didn't the Boggs bros ( ohio ) run a front engine injected nitro long wheelbase roadster in the mid to late 80's in TAD . I think the rules have been around for a long time , just the last 10 yrs or so racers have been taking advantage of them . I also remember seeing a twin engine nitrous TAD run at the springnationals in the late 80's , Mike Sage maybe .

6. eli

eli Banned

In the begining,God said let there be JR. fuelers,Lets see ,On the eastcoast ther was Dale Hall, Jack Elsie, and a host of others so they were always around, i rember them from the 60`s at Conn.dragway and Epiing NH.:rolleyes:

7. was R4K

was R4K Member

I love hearing them fire up in the next lane- I like it even better if they stay slightly behind for the full 1/4 mile. LOL! On a serious note- I think all race cars sound great- they all make their own music!!

8. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

Well for now we will have to settle for the first half where most of the A/Fuel drivers get left on by a hard charging blown car.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  9. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

Tim, I applaud your opinion....takes balls to state your opinion...I like that...

Of course I run an AFD car and I feel that AFD is a cool thing for the class...I also feel it is a great thing for the spectators as they can see diversity between the two different types of cars...for me it was a natural choice as I for one feel it helps me prep to drive a TF car (like that will ever happen)....if we did not have BAD and AFD the problem I see is it would turn into Pro Stock....at this level of racing there are a heap of great racers both BAD and AFD (Except Chris Demke...who should be modeling instead of racing!) Just kidding Chris you know there is nothing but love for you brotha...

I kinda like the blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah sound, you otta try listening from inside the car....maybe you will change your opinion! I think we as a class have made some positive strides forward and I hope it continues that way.

I am not going to hash out the performance side of things as I have seen it go both ways.....

Please don't hate the players.....hate the game....

Tim, my pit is always open to you as it is to everyone....stop by and have a cold drink...if you do I promise I won't start my car! LOL

Peace, Kevin

10. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

A/Fuel funny cars

I would run a A/Fuel combo in my TAFC in a heart beat if it was allowed. The way things are with the current rules on supercharger overdrives the blown cars have to turn so many RPMs they are killiing their motors. Valve gear, crankshafts, rods, none of it handling 10,000 RPM very well. A A/Fuel car doesn't turn as many RPMs. They don't hurt valve gear, crankshafts last 100 runs and when was the last time you saw one kick the rods out? I think the day of the PSI has come and gone just like the bank accounts of the guys like me who have one. Drag racing is all about going fast and having fun and working three jobs to replace broken parts isn't fun. No offense intended but I think drag racing is for everybody not just the rich guys and PSI blown motors are only for the rich.

11. ITS IN MY BLOOD

good post dave,
    usaully the only time a a/fuel hurts parts is because things where rushed or improper maintnance and lack of schooling not knowing what to look for when it comes apart. dont overlook and neglect anything
    this isnt rocket science, but COME ON , if your going to have someone work on your a/fuel engines you better make sure you school him on how to do it right !!! and what not to do...and hope you yourself know !!!!!
    valve train, valve train,...valve train.. how hard is to lube them pushrod cups
    are slide the rockers on the shafts to see if the oiler hole is cracked or how far it has cracked even more since the last time you looked at them holes, or if the adjuster is gaulled......WOW ...WOW...WOW.....
    one guy puts it together,
    and it stays together, duh...he just might be doing something right.
    moral of the story......
    ..dont touch my chit if you want it to keep going down the track !!!!!!LMFAO

12. Lee Callaway

Lee Callaway The Gov

The last time i heard of a a/f car kicking the rods was Snows car at belle rose last week.

13. Lee Callaway

Lee Callaway The Gov

I believe that you have to break a few eggs to make a cake. LOL. I broke enough to make a 10 tier wedding cake.

14. Dean Adams

Tim,

Personally, I think super comp cars sound like s—t, JMHO. To answer your question however, the man most responsible for the emergence – or re-emergence – of the injected nitro combination was the late Tom Topping. He made spectacular gains in performance in the very early 90's and all the others mentioned in earlier posts followed his lead.

15. Tim5636sc

Tim5636sc New Member

Thanks Kevin...Talkin about balls, You guy's who actually Drive the cars that I aspire to drive some day have Balls!...But, that's what is great about america....The ability to speak ones opinion...and in 1 day...13 responces. Now, as for my ("HATE") for the A/FD....I don't hate em at all. As a matter of fact...I don't produce "HATER-ADE"...I just drink da juice!
    I grew up in Oceanside, Ca... the same Oceanside, Ca that Gene Adams had his shop....The same shop that I used to hang out when I was 15 and just watch the man work. I learned all about Fuel Injection from his shop. We, (Brad Woodard and I) ran injected Alcohol for many years in our Alcohol Abuse Super Comp/ Super Pro car. I love Injection! I also got to know Chess Bushey....due to the fact that he lived about 26 miles from me in Ramona......I just don't think the A/FD is all that Exciting to watch...To me it's Top Fuel Jr. .... or truely as it was in the 60's...Jr. Fuel. I love the whine of the BAD as it's brought up to about 3500 RPM holding the brake as it stages....and I love the smell of Methanol.
    I respect the hell out of people who don't prescribe to the NORMAL THINKING and do things their way...Or Innovators. MARK NIVER FOR EXAMPLE! Ron Boggs, Santos(in the Blown Small Block days) and CHESS BUSHEY. Chess actually used to bring up the R's in his car in the early 90's. The best home video I have is a race at Palmdale, (LACR) where Chess was racing Rick Santos at a Div 7 WDRS(am I going to get sued for saying WINSTON DRAG RACING SERIES EVENT?....Sorry Forrest). The same race where Cory mac and cruz pedregon raced in Round 1 of TAD!
    The OUT OF THE BOX THINKING and STIRRING UP THE POT mentality that I have is why I post why I post. I don't try to offend anybody's Opinions, just start some good debate.
    If I were to give credit to Mr. AFD it was GENE ADAMS! Brooks Brown, "Junkyard" Ed Vicroy, and Don Enriquez can attest to that!
    I've seen you race Kev, and I admire the hell out of you and anyone who drives Faster than I have in my 170mph Super Comp Rides. And if offered to drive an AFD....I'd say hell yeah in a heart beat! I just prefer getting blown and not Injected with Nitro!! I mean....BLOWN ALCOHOL!:eek:
    ....Stirring up the Pot....(1) post at a time!
    Just my .02 cents!

16. Tim5636sc

Tim5636sc New Member

Dean...I ain't gonna argue with that one! Nothin like letting go of the Trans brake..then....Blahh......! But still....A ride is a ride...and I'm without one this year...SO IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYONE IN DENVER WHO IS LOOKING FOR A "DRIVER"??????????:D

17. Tim5636sc

Tim5636sc New Member

...R U Offering?????? I'm willing to be proven wrong....you know...for the integrity of Mr. Hanna's Site!
    "It takes a big man to admit that he's wrong....I am not a big man" -Irwin R. Fletcher! AKA Fletch!

18. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

Hey Tim,

Join the club. I have been without a ride since my whole operation was stolen 2 years ago. Id love to drive either configuration of dragsters but somehow I dont think any of the owners that frequent this great site are going to feel sorry for me and offer up a ride. Just my 02

19. Dan Lynch

Dan Lynch Member

3500?? What are they racing on a skating rink???

20. Speedude

Speedude Speed Demon

anyone able to dig up a picture of this thing...?