Sneaking out on the street w/blown alky sbc

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by alkynova, Mar 27, 2010.

1. alkynova

alkynova New Member

How many of you guys sneak out on the street with your blown alcohol motors. Maybe a car show or car club cruze or a smoke show. How far do you think i can drive with a 10 gallon tank. 355 sbc with 15 pounds of boost. 11-1 cr. 2.08 heads, 220 intake runners, in a 2600 pound car w/driver.

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Your big problem is cooling if you don't have a radiator. Just think of how fast the motor heats up in five minutes in the pits. As far as distance you can drive that will be about a quarter to a third of what you can drive with race gas. If you keep your foot out of it.

3. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

until you get caught ( lol )

4. tafccrewguy

tafccrewguy New Member

I drove my BBC with 14-71 quite a bit last summer.Used tons of alcohol.Basically ,think of how much fuel you use idling.How many minutes can you idle before you run out,as well as not overheat? Well you wont be able to drive quite that long but you get the picture ,its not mpg its mpg(minutes)LOL.Lots of fun ,go for it.

5. paint guy

paint guy Member

i had a blown 540 with a 1471 making around 1800 hp with 12 to 14 gallon tank.the strip of road i cruised was about 4 to 5 miles long.well to make a long story short ,with alittle playing around i would use it all in one pass.i had a radiator and did'nt have any cooling issues.just have someone following you with more alcohol.

6. promodracer

promodracer Member

sneakin out on the street

I am building a 63 valiant promod for street driving. Kb water block, stage v heads, 12amp mag for street. It has ross pistons, bryant crank, 14-71 k11 superman by dmpe with carbon hat.
    I have a small cell up front in front of radiator, eight gallon and a huge fuel cell in the rear. Not sure how for sure to tie the two cells together.
    Using gorrs gucci bv and was hopeing to get one mile per gallon.
    Do not want to hijack this thread, although any feedback on fuel cells would be great.:D

7. backmotor

backmotor Owner/Crewchief/Test Pilot

Maybe use a transfer pump from the big tank to the small one ?? I've seen a similar setup on a diesel pick-up with an external bed mounted tank :confused:

8. alkynova

alkynova New Member

I was thinking the samething. hopping to get 1 mile per gallon but if you were thinking of getting that with a big block car and a huge blower i should be fine. Right?

9. tafccrewguy

tafccrewguy New Member

I have a 30 gallon tank in my trunk ,transfering to a 3 gallon in front,and I could go about 15 miles or so ,maybe more.With the bbc I had a billet alum,piston pump on the stock fuel pump mount,sucking from the rear tank and feeding the fromt at the top of the tank.Another line exits the top of the tank ,going back to the rear tank.Just a cycle to keep the front full.Of coarse cap the vent.

10. promodracer

promodracer Member

sneakin out on the street

Well i know of a guy in wisconsin who runs ralph gorr barrel valve like mine with an idle and stage circut. He gets 1.5 miles per gallon. Now gorr calls this there gucci barrel valve. It is more streetable. I am running a rage pump and my entire fuel system was flowed by gorr. I am just hopeing for 1 mile per gallon running straight up.
    Now back to my concerns about my fuel system.
    My small eight gallon fuel cell has float bowls, one on each end to keep fuel from overflowing {fingers crossed but scarred as hell about it}.
    I am concerned about holley floats overflowing and starting a fire.
    Then i was going to just vent the tank.

What i am thinking now is block off float bowls and run the vent as braided line to the rear cell between frame rails and dump it up high in front of rear cell. Then vent rear cell to atmosphere only. I also have a magnafuel 500 pump Pumping fuel to front cell. Rear cell is probably 25 gallons and sits higher than front.
    Do i need any one way flappers?
    Ok guys tell me, am i nuts will it work, whats wrong with my system? I need feed back.
    Thanks C.J.

11. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

fuel pump

What do the roundy round cars like midgets or outlaw guys do.Follow there ideas. they do lots of laps with injected alky motors. Look @ the big picture not just our sport. Let us know,sounds like a fun Saturday night.

12. alkynova

alkynova New Member

how can i find more info on this gorr barrel valve. so it sound like you get a little bit more out of your alcohol. not just dumping it in your motor. Are you secrificing some power when you use this barrel valve.

13. promodracer

promodracer Member

Sneaking on the street

Call ralph Gorr and ask for gucci bv. Or call JR at RBS Superchargers.
    Its the one with idle and stage circuit.
    I believe the rest of the range is as usual unless i am missinformed. There are many guys on here who are more informed then me. I do know its more streetable than any other mech bv.
    Still need feedback on dual fuel cell situation.
    I know nothing about sprint car stuff, nor do i know anyone to ask.
    You guys are my best resource.
    Thanks in advance

14. paint guy

paint guy Member

with my set-up i ran a fuel cell in the rear with a barry grant 400 pump,number 10 braided line to the front to a 2 gallon serge tank with a holly fuel bowl to keep it from filling up too full.number 12 line to the pump.only drove it on the street 2 or 3 times because of the mpg problem.

15. tafccrewguy

tafccrewguy New Member

Did you read post #9,run a return line back to the rear tank,and cap the vent on the front tank.It will go back to the rear on its own ,works great.|Just install the feed line and the return line in the front tank about a couple inches from the top of the tank in case the engine fuel pump takes the fuel faster than the rear pump can supply ,under wide open throttle,them you have a cushion of air or vaccum.

16. tafccrewguy

tafccrewguy New Member

the holley float bowl thing is archaic

17. jeragsters

jeragsters top fuel sand

Most of the monster trucks just use the rear tank. I have not seen or heard of a problem with this setup? The tank is higher than the pump.

18. alkynova

alkynova New Member

Im going to run mine in the back for the first time this year. i don't see what would be the problem with my new setup but i could be wrong. i got a 10 gallon cell but if it's not got to be enough i plan on making a 15+ gallon tank. If anyone see a problem or has had bad experience with a fuel cell in the rear please give me your input.

19. promodracer

promodracer Member

sneaking out on the street

I just figure the more fuel i have the more streetable it is. The bigger the bomb though. I am most concerned about this fuel system being well designed and as simple as possible. I would like one cell up front. I would like to delete fuel bowls in front aluminum cell if i can. I was also thinking i could as discussed, block off front cell vent and run return line to rear cell in front wall up high in rear cell. Then add a vent from rear cell to atmosphere. Then run outlet from rear cell to electric fuel pump and pump up front as feed line to front. I am not sure if its an issue if the front cell pressurises too much or forces fuel to rear up hill some how disrupting the vent line. Also what suggestions do you guys have on baffels, one way checks, pressure issues, Bypass issues to lean midrange just past stage circuit, and cell construction concerns . Just dont want to _ _ _ _ this up.
    I know someone has lots of ideas on this.
    Thanks again

20. tafccrewguy

tafccrewguy New Member

Thers been stuff like this talked on here before ,have you tried searching?Lots of good info.