Smokin Hemi

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Money Shot, May 10, 2011.

1. Money Shot

Money Shot Member

I have a Veney KB Hemi that has a bad smokin problem. It moves a lot of oil through the exhaust but no blowby. Leak down is fine and no oil in puke tank. Heads are perfect and valve guides are in great shape. I'm thinking maybe the oil rings are bad??? The intake is also sealed very well and it's not leaking there. I've resealed it twice thinking that was the problem. Any ideas I'm overlooking? If you want to see it smoking check out it's the Money Shot car at the end of the clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IATEC8ovGYo

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  2. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

did it ever go lean on you?.Dave

3. Money Shot

Money Shot Member

It's never been hot. 1050 tops. It's has smoked with two different sets of heads.

4. Outlaw68

Outlaw68 Member

I have seen this a couple times, both times the rings were upside down on the pistons.. food for thought.

5. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

what brand

what brand of ring?

6. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

smoking

Does it have pushrod tubes---if so see if there may be holes in them.

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I guess the largest amout of smoke is when you clear out the motor at stage. That is a lot but didn't know if it is the light or what but it didn't look very oil smoke blue in color. It was pretty dark looking. Are you using any additives in your alcohol? I couldn't see much smoke during the actual run or when you let up at the end.

8. Money Shot

Money Shot Member

Ol Smokey

Rings were new Total Seal. If the rings were in upside down would it have blowby? Mike, You have a good point about the fuel additive. I used a bottle of Power Plus grape scent and a bottle of Power Plus top lube with this 55gl drum. Ill try some alky with no lube in it and see if it changes. Once its under a load it doesnt smoke much. Thanks for the input.

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Let us know if you see any difference.

10. 23T Hemmee

23T Hemmee Member

I was thinking the grape scented mix was fuel lube, if thats the case sounds like a double mix. One bottle of Power Plus is good for a drum.

11. alt 6153

alt 6153 Member

I agree with Mike. That looks like rich fuel smoke. My car will just wisp a little black smoke at the hit. I think I'm a little rich at the hit before the boost starts to come up. I also agree that the grape scent plus the Power Plus, would be a double shot of lube.

Ron Meyer likes this.
  12. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I think it is that Smoking Hot young lady painetd on the side of the car. That is enough to make anything smoke. Great paint job.

13. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

This is what mine did off the line with a roots and no lube. Just a rich puddle issue at idle as it would do it to a lesser extent at the hit on the burnout. Didn't smoke anywhere else and it's not oil.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  14. wcolantuoni

wcolantuoni Jr. Dragster

I had the same issue a few years back. I got rid of the gapless rings and the problem went away. I have also been told that KB had a batch of sleeves made by a third party that no matter what you did rings would not seal against and would smoke like that.

I also had a set of heads that would leak through the push rod tubes. Once they were sleeved no more smoke.

15. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

Money Shot...thanks for the hex.....just found a broken ring in my motor:eek:...lut us know what you find out..Dave

16. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

this is possibly the problem . . .the Veney heads have push rod tubes running through the intake ports and if the tube is leaking it will let oil seep into the port while sitting. it will take a good burnout to clear it all out and be fine on the run , but the port will get oil in it again before the next fire up and smoke each time. . with the head off, fill the port with some fluid and see if it runs out around the tube .

17. Money Shot

Money Shot Member

No compression

Lost all compression in #1 cylinder
    Tonight. Still smokes without top lube. Gonna tear
    It down next week. Bleh!!!!

18. Peacemaker AFC

Peacemaker AFC New Member

Smokin

Take them pos total seal rings out of it and put a set of A&C rings and if you don't know what a&c is ackerly and childs

19. Money Shot

Money Shot Member

Rings

We did have Total Seal rings in it and we replaced them with A&C rings. NO MORE SMOKE AND RUNS LIKE A CHAMP! :cool: Thanks for the advice!!

20. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

Did you hone the bore before installing the A&C rings?