small stand vs big stand?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

here's one to throw out there, what is yalls take on which is better, small stand or big stand clutch?

2 of the 3 blown cars that have run .20's (i was corrected) run small stands (thacker, santos/wells), and shields ran big stands.

i know wells ran big stands stuff before grimes came on board.

[ September 29, 2003, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Will Hanna ]

2. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

Will; first and formost, remember, "I'm just a welder", but having gone back to the begining (001/Lenco, 002/McDowell, 003/Murray) and still current (although not much in America anymore)her's my take.
    1. big stand stays flatter and more stable.
    2. small stand has less rotating weight.
    3. I like both.
    4. Not to oversimplify, but I feel either can work as well. It's just mathematics when you switch from one to the other.
    5. The clutch or the chassis always gets blamed when the tune up is dicked up !
    6. always remember that all clutches are produced as the opposite gender of the one trying to figure them out. (How's that for a non-sexist remark).

Bob

3. Wendland

Wendland Guest

Will,
    Remember that the two clutchs have different levers. To me, the small stand clutch, which takes more weight, is easier to tune. The big stand clutch, which takes the aluminum weight, to me had the lever too agressive. Always wanted to shake around 8350 or so. The little stand clutch worked well around 100 to 145 grams and seam to have a larger window. I think Les's clutch is the way to go. You won't need all the RPM for lock up. He says it is worth .05 to .08. Works well on Cy's car.....

4. Aussie Alky

Aussie Alky New Member

For what it's worth, I have tried both, and I agree with Rob that the large stand Crower clutch is too agressive, resulting in bad shake near the 1-2 shift and tire spin after the shift. I also agree with Bob that the large stand clutch stays flatter, but I think that is because my small stand clutch didn't have the thick flywheel. My recommendation would be small stand with thick aluminum or titanium flywheel and all titanium pressure plate assembly.

5. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

i was just throwing it out there for general discussion. i'm kind of like bob, i think both can work, because it really comes down to the way your fuel system, clutch application and gearing integrate. i have alot more experience with the big stand, and that's my preference. like bob said i like the fact that it doesnt quite have the tendency to move around like the small stand does. also, while i've never seen it first hand, i've heard its easier for the small stand clutch to warp one of the stands, and get a rear main.

its hard to say how much les' clutch will help. i doubt it will be worth .08. cy ran pretty good last year without it. cy ran a .53 with it and manzo ran a .54 last year w/o it. i've been told it benefits a newberry motor more than a brad motor, but thats just what i've been told. i dont have enough exp. with fc's. as far as it's effects on the dragsters, i dont think it has been ran.

i dont think wells had one in chicago. yeah, he ran good, but that car has run like that in the past in similar conditions. i'm 99.9% sure marty doesn't have one, unless he got it during the week, because i made sure in columbus (saw the can off). he ran just about as well.

it makes for interesting discussion....

6. Bob Holley

Bob Holley New Member

Bob Meyer !!!!
    Just like to say hello. Glad to see someone else with seanority here at Will's site.
    May your floaters always be flat.
    Bob Holley

7. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

Bob; Yea, memories from way back. I'll bet I'm the only guy here who remembers you ran a front motor T/F one week, and the next week a mid engine deal with the same car!
    Good to see your fingers still work !

Bob

8. The Zone

The Zone Member

Marty does not have one, But I am sure Wells does have the new clutch
    Dean

9. David Pace

David Pace New Member

Bob Holley!!!
    "Green Gang" Bob Holley from Angleton?
    You built the first car I ever drove down a drag strip-a front engine A/FD you built for Johnny Williams. I think we raced you a few times when I drove the Carroll Bros. car. The names Mundy and Ely kinda ring a bell, too. Yeah, I'd say you have some "seniority".