Shift light for MSD 44 mag

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Joe Blo, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Joe Blo

Joe Blo New Member

I want to buy a shift light to suit a single 44 amp MSD mag set up, can anybody tell me what is the best one to buy, as I have had trouble getting my Autometer unit to work, does MSD make one to suit? Thanks Joe

2. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

i put an rpm activated switch from the msd to a light. works great. msd sells the switch. make sure you get the switch for a mag setup.

3. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

What types of problems have you had getting the Autometer one to work? I have run an Autometer light in my TAD for two years, and then my TAFC for all of this season with no problems- all with an MSD44 setup.

Do you have the old-style with a bulb, or is it the new LED type? We have had problems in the past with the old-style ones, but I have the LED light and it works great!

[ October 06, 2004, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC ]

4. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

You have to run a tach adapter.

5. Joe Percoco

Joe Percoco Member

Or you can buy MSD's programmable shift light controller and their small light. Program the controller with your computer, put in your launch rpm, 1st shift rpm, 2nd shift rpm and go. Change it at will to suit your desires. Use only one light, no chips. Once you learn how it works it is actually pretty neat.

6. Joe Blo

Joe Blo New Member

The Autometer unit works but I dont think it has been accurate, I havent had a loggoe on the car until now, but both the light and tacho would be all over the place, I have tried a wiring it in a few different ways, with one and two loops around the points box wire, it is an older single light type. I think I will just buy a MSD unit made for the right job on the 44's. Thanks Joe

7. alkyfan

alkyfan New Member

Joe P

Word around the pits is that you have had a tremendous amount of problems with your shift light. Heard it was malfuntioning thus hindering your driving ability. Has this just recently changed?

We use the adapter that Randy suggests. It works real well.

8. Joe Percoco

Joe Percoco Member

Naw....I'm just a lousy driver!!!! :D