Selling t shirts in NHRA & Divisionals

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Stefan Kontos, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Stefan Kontos

Stefan Kontos Member

Since were new to the NHRA and the Divisionals, just wondering about the rule on selling t shirts. I know that unless you have a merchandise trailer in the nitro mall your not allowed to sell t shirts at national events, but what about divisionals? Are we allowed to sell t shirts to people or even give them out? I know we had no problem with that in the IHRA but dont even start us up on that deal.

See you in Indy!

2. eli

eli Banned

Don't worry about selling t shirts at div. races, theres no one there to sell them to. :eek:

3. Stefan Kontos

Stefan Kontos Member

Darn, also just wondering, since the divisionals are called the Lucas Oil Divisional Racing Series (LODRS) would you be allowed to introduce a energy drink sponsor since full throttle isnt the title sponsor? Not that we have one but im just curious.

Thanks for the help

4. Don Hudson

Don Hudson Supa fly

I bet Russ has thoughts on this.. Got Milk..

The LODRS is not a viable source for your prospective sponsors. The hard reality of this has been hashed out many times before on this website. Im not saying all the LODRS races get low fan counts, but it has been my experiance over the years that the points races are a "Necessary evil" for Alcohol Racers to gain their "grade points". I lost a primary sponsor, because they did not feel that the LODRS series provided any Valuable exposure for their products, while they readily acknowledge that the National Events do provide what they are looking for.

Summed up: Someone is making money on the LODRS series races, Its just not the racers.

5. Jonathan Johnson

Jonathan Johnson New Member

Don is right...

you need the national events for your marketing campaign. Unless the division venues are giving away tickets, the fans just aren't there. Even at that point, you have no real numbers to tell a potential partner. Maybe if this "free ticket" trend takes off, there will be something in the future, but until then you are basically working off the national event numbers. Hopefully whatever you come up with works, good luck.

And in reality the "steam" is gone from the energy drinks. NHRA killed that for everyone, and the ones that they didn't "monster" out had no real money to speak of to begin with.

6. the jet

the jet New Member

tee-shirt sales

First you need to go the the track with the race car, crew, driver, and the tee-shirts. Put them out if it's a problem they will tell you. They NHRA won't make you leave, your there to race, they won't arrest you, your there to race, and they won't take your passports, your there to race, put on a show, or what ever its called. Just go the the race.
    John Anderika

7. Russ Parker

Russ Parker Member

I bet Russ has thoughts on this.. Got Milk..

The time that our family represented the Dairy Farmers of Oregon, with both Randy and I driving, was unique. We had a very strong alcohol funny car presence in the northwest and very good turn out at Woodburn (match races and divisionals) and at Mission, B.C. The fan support was great and we sold ALOT of t-shirts which really helped bring in some cash for hotels, food and other expenses. Obviously the "Got Milk" tie-in helped make the shirts even more popular, plus we gave away stickers, pins and ear plugs. That was a great time but I'm not sure it can be duplicated in this current climate. Personally I think Don Hudson would have the best shot at making it work. Something like, "I got my *** whooped by Pat Autin", and I'll let you imagine the artwork.

8. The Zone

The Zone Member

you guys are running in the wrong division then:p;), because division six has pretty good crowds at Mission round 8-10,000 for the weekend, woodburn 5-6 k, seattle does a free givaway deal and they have had pretty good numbers as well. I am guessin gthat spokane will get real good numbers this year, as it is their first ever nhra big event.
    Dean

9. Stefan Kontos

Stefan Kontos Member

Is there a good turnout for division 3? I heard there was free spectator tickets at norwalk that should draw a good crowd right?

10. Don Hudson

Don Hudson Supa fly

A stepping stone.

Div.6 does have some great events, It is a shame that other divisions cannot get that kind of support.

After I tried the " Don Hudson the "other" white meat" program with VERY little success, I have opted to not use cleaver slogans to fund my racing program. I wanted to use "Give me HUDSON till im dead", Then I found out that Jim Head had already used that in one of the more successful T-Shirt programs to be Banned by the NHRA. I'll keep trying....

11. Jonathan Johnson

Jonathan Johnson New Member

Not everyone was born with a last name like Johnson. However some clown from the early 90's killed that with some goofball character named E. Normos and had adult innuendos on shirts. Whew, the crazy things some people do....if I would have only gotten that out in the 2nd grade when I thought of it. :rolleyes::D

JJ

12. Russ Parker

Russ Parker Member

I gotta know, was the "cleaver" an accident or a subltle play on the "other white meat"?
    New question for Don Hudson - would you be more likely to appear on "Dancing with the Stars" or "American Idol"? (We won't count the appearance on "Cops".)

13. Don Hudson

Don Hudson Supa fly

Thank you for sparing my feelings Russ.

Man vs. Food...:rolleyes:

14. Russ Parker

Russ Parker Member

You're not listening to the Dude's story

To my simple understanding you did not answer either question.

15. Don Hudson

Don Hudson Supa fly

You can only kick a dog so many times,Before he start to like it.

I learned that in Law School

16. Russ Parker

Russ Parker Member

Are you an engineer?

I can't remember if I read this here or on another board. But it goes like this, "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig (the other white meat), after a couple of hours you realize he likes it."

17. Don Hudson

Don Hudson Supa fly

Will, Thanks for providing Don and Russ a safe secure place to play.

I've only been on the Napa Valley Wine Train once.

I would never argue with you, You like that kind of stuff.

18. Russ Parker

Russ Parker Member

Will keeps hoping our keyboards will break

oijaoga[r[ No adfj;af I djf09w22 subscribe a[u00ja to h['] the [as0]as theory ahat]]a that whww]0-a99 if you vshan,.// set a[8s0hysv] a monkey saV}+)] at a aa0[w=0-wmc computer s9uw-uu534534 he will w00-b eventually ]-545ww produce ahaopo[0902092 Shakespeare lj;'a;l'a'/

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  19. Don Hudson

Don Hudson Supa fly

Always gotta have the last word.

Russ, now Im concerned for the safety of the citizens of your community

20. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

monkey

stop spreading about the monkeys on the putter:p