Seattle TAD Finals Question

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by MaineAlkyFan, Aug 15, 2012.

1. MaineAlkyFan

MaineAlkyFan Active Member

The wife and I have a question on the Seattle TAD final. It was fairly obvious that Chris popped the blower automatically deploying the chutes, but we were trying to figure out what happened to Jim. The car looked like it lost fire around the 330, but if that was the case, there would be no reason for the chutes to deploy... any details?

2. Adam Rhoades

Adam Rhoades Member

Excellent question...

3. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

I clicked on here thinking Adam had the answer!

Kinda looked like something broke in the drivetrain.

4. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

???

I was told by Jim that he burst panels were in tact so the safety shut off should not have deployed the chutes. The car shook hard enough that something in the ignition/electrical system failed, causing the car to shut off.

5. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Disconnecting anything in the burst panel wiring line will shut off the ignition and fire the chutes. Doesn't mean the panels were out as we have seen multiple times.

6. MaineAlkyFan

MaineAlkyFan Active Member

Interesting. So a shake induced electrical failure shut it off around the 330, but then after some time delay the chutes lazily deployed. Todd Veney hard enough at the D1 Regional at NED to deploy the fire bottles and chute, which all seemed to happen at the same time. Ya gotta think if those chutes didn't deploy Jim might have caught him at the stripe...

7. Adam Rhoades

Adam Rhoades Member

But if the power is already off...the Leahy can't trigger right?

8. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Was the power off?

9. Adam Rhoades

Adam Rhoades Member

Good question. So, we are assuming the motor went silent at the 330 ft mark and the leahy just triggered at 800ft?

10. Mark Leigh

Mark Leigh Member

How could the power be off ?? The Leahy system has it's own battery ---- Are the dragsters setup to where the driver can turn the power off ? Like the box is mounted on the dash ?
    Shouldn't the power be on at all times while the car is operating ?

11. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Safety box

Or is it that the car was coasting along and finally got into range for the automatic shut off to activate near the finish line? Dave Germain

12. Adam Rhoades

Adam Rhoades Member

I need to make one thing clear...I'm not saying anybody is doing anything wrong...I just don't know what sets the box off that late after the motor went dead. I have only had the motor go silent under power when the box goes off unexpectedly. No body else had a problem in the finals in either lane after we ran.

13. Gizmo

Gizmo Member

So perhaps an alternate wiriing schematic where the safety box operates off of a channel inside the timer box? This would allow you to delay the activation of the box after something had triggered what would normally activate it. Pretty smart idea, bang the blower at 1000' and you can coast past the finish before the chutes come out.

Steve L.

14. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

I am sure that something like that wouldn't fly, I am pretty sure that you are not allowed to 'modify' any safety devices.

15. Gizmo

Gizmo Member

Oh, it's against the rules?....yeah nobody would do that! It would blow your mind what some people do that is "grey matter". What safety official/tech official would catch that? It could be wired to only operate that way when the car is running, or when a certain toggle switch is flipped (neither of which would catch the ire of the tech inspector). Surely you guys remember the German team who had the traction control activated by three flips of the tach reset switch. :eek:

Steve L.

16. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

I don't know that I would read too much into what happened there... Tire shake does things I couldn't even imagine to cars, and I have a pretty big imagination. We've snapped a motor plate, had the clamp straps that hold the front motor plate wind up UNDER the lip they were clamping and still TIGHT to the frame, fire bottles go off.. As well as snapping points boxes/coils/6-shooters clean off their mounts/screws/rubber feet. Last race it shook hard enough in the marbles at Cordova the ignition couldn't get a clean "fire" input signal from the mag/trigger, basically stalled the motor for random .5 second increments while it was still running. Was it actually the trigger or did it loosen a ground or shake something in the kill switch close enough to arc? Couldn't tell you... Weirdest crap I've ever seen when I look at the computer log.

Point of Story: Tire shake does weird, horrible, awful, unimaginable things to race cars and I doubt the engine dying and the chutes coming out were both direct causes of the safety system.

17. Adam Rhoades

Adam Rhoades Member

So the chutes just came out after 8 seconds because?

18. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

All I was saying is that it's entirely possible to shake your ignition system to the point of failure then or soon thereafter, or shake the fuel shutoff closed... Safety box very well could have pulled the chutes after the motor decided not to run. Just using personal experience to provide a logical explanation vs. conspiracy theory. If you're implying that someone wasn't running their chute activator, why wouldn't you just keep coasting without the chutes, get the win and play dumb?

19. Adam Rhoades

Adam Rhoades Member

Obviously they were running their chute activator. I'm just curious because it came out roughly 8 seconds after they left the starting line...can't you only delay a setting in the Leahy for 7.99 seconds? I know the safety box could of pulled their chute...why so far down track when the motor went silent at 300-330 ft.? Can't you go look at the computer to see if the Leahy had a malfunction? You can on ours when it shuts off.

20. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Unless you have a digital channel telling you the box has been activated, all you can see is where the engine RPM quits and/or ignition power/volts(which if you have a short from shake, will show cutoff as well) if you have such a channel installed. Engine stops turning, fuel stops moving, so you can't exactly tell if it's been killed by the Leahy with fuel. So how do you know definitively what did what to what and when?

Let it go chief.. You won the coast off.. :)