ROD Question MGP GRP

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Lethal Threat Racing, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Lethal Threat Racing

What is the truth? is the MGP and GRP the same Rod? One guy owned the GRP and now V. Gains owns it and they are not as good? The MPG guy was GRP and now his rods are better? Anybody know the realy storie?

2. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

looked at them both and the mgp is very nice I think it is one of the best rods i've looked at...Richard Putz sent me some to look at and I was very impressed..Dave
    www.myspace.com/daveloweswr

3. Rockin' Robin WKR

Rockin' Robin WKR New Member

Todd,

We run the MGP rods. From what I understand GRP and MGP are brothers. I suppose they were together at one time, but not anymore. The MGP rod is a billet rod, and you will find a lot of racers running them. In particular they are popular in comp, but a lot of the alcohol cars are running them now as well.

4. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

My understanding is Michael Giannone was the original owner of GRP ('G'iannone 'R'acing 'P'roducts). He sold the business and part of the sale agreement stepped out of the rod business for a specific time. When the time was up he opened MGP ('M'ichael 'G'iannone 'P'roducts). No brothers, one and the same smart guy.

Both rods are very nice pieces and I've built blown engines with both , I personally run the MGP's in my own engines and feel they are a notch better. For sure they have the best rod bolt on the market with the A-1 bolts.

Blessings...........Ron Clevenger.

5. Lethal Threat Racing

Ron Thanks, I currently run the GRP Rod an was looking at the MGP. When you call BAE and ask for a new set of rods they always send me GRP. I am going to give MGP a call and asked what the diff is.

6. jonimus333

jonimus333 New Member

Rods

, I am sure he has a good deal going with the GRP. They are in business to make money and that is all. Just my thoughts. Nothing personal Don

7. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Grp

I'm sure people will write this off as an endorsement of a site advertiser, but I switched Jason Cannon to GRP back in '01 before ITA was even born. I've ran them in a number of cars since. They're just a great rod, and Brian and the guys are great to deal with. If you're looking for cheap, or someone who will give you a deal on a set, probably not the brand for you, but when you consider how many more runs you can get out of a set of GRP's vs some of the other brands, well, which set becomes more cost effective?

I don't know the history of the split up, but I know GRP has made their own innovations since Gianonni left. Among those innovations were upgrades to the material and the ARP L-19 bolts.

I have never run a MGP rod, but obviously they have some happy customers that come on here and post. But to think that GRP is just someone else's old company that doesn't know what they are doing wouldn't be giving them proper credit. Brian Scollon and his staff are very knowledgable when it comes to connecting rods.

Plus they even have a guy named Steele making aluminum rods.....

8. Lethal Threat Racing

I have been currently running GRP Rods. I change them after 40 passes so Will, I know they are a good Rod. I am changing my set up and I will need to have a few changes to the Rod. Since I was haveing to do something other than off the shelf I was just asking. I did not even see the GRP add on the board untill you said something. Some run Brooks, R&R, GRP MGP and others. All seem to be good but like you said will If I can get 12 to 15 more passes out of a rod that cost more.,That is what I am going for. Do any of the other rods out thier have the radius on the rod ends. I think this is a great bonus.

9. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

In the same boat right now and am really interested in this thread. Will have to make a decision shorty but I know I can't go back to Childs and Albert unless they opened their doors again.

10. WANNABE

WANNABE New Member

Ding-ding. We have a winner. :D

I like talking with Michael. He really is great at understanding what I need and delivering just that. Even if it is a one off custom deal. But both are great companies with great people and great products.

11. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

Michael is very easy to deal with, and very helpful. Both the GRP and MGP are the best 2 rods out there, I personally like the MGP a little more, if everything was equal bolts material I would still pick the MGP over the GRP because of the rod cap serrations, I firmly believe Michael has the best way of doing it and yes GRP has a radial cut which is good but I think just 2 clicks shy of the MGP.

Will I understand GRP sponsors your site maybe we all can get Michael to also come forward or would that be bad?

12. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

John, switching from Brooks to MGP and agree with you 100%! Talked to ALL of them at PRI and chose MGP for several reasons! Also, to answer your question on the Fire Proofing, I shipped it the week we had that thaw BLUE label. Mixed it WELL tonight and it went on fine. Did ya get yours yet? I still have to send in my "rebate" form:confused: Wish NHRA would come down on "others" that are fu$$%%@@ us!

13. MGPNoah

MGPNoah New Member

As most of you probably know, our posts on this particular message board are rare. Simply put, Michael and I do not have much time to dedicate to sit in front of a computer screen. Our primary concern is always production and making sure that our customers get the highest quality part in a timely manner. Furthermore, our posts here have never been a means to sell a product, and they never will have that purpose. From what I have read, misinformation has spread like wildfire accross this forum. So, once and for all, lets take a brief moment to clarify any confusion on the matter and set the record straight!

It is true that Michael Giannone originally started GRP, which at one time stood for "Giannone Racing Products." The business was never sold, and there was certainly never an agreement that Michael Giannone leave the connecting rod business for any period of time! I am not going to go into detail here, but if you are really that interested, the information can be found in Colorado State public record. Michael began MGP "Michael Giannone Performance" in 1996 a brief time after discontinuing involvement with GRP. The two companies have absolutely no relation, other than the fact that both were started by Michael Giannone himself. MGP and GRP are not "brother" companies, but rather two seperate companies all together.

As far as innovation is concerned, and I can only speak on behalf of MGP here, we have certain design features and qualities that we incorporate into our product that give us the reputation we have created for ourselves over the years. It is not my purpose to debate the question of which company produces the best connecting rod. That question can only be answered by our current and potential customers.

As always, if anyone has a problem or concern regarding connecting rod related issues, Michael and myself are always available to discuss the matter. Our shop number is listed below. Thank you all for your time.

Kindest Regards
    Noah Sanchez
    MGP Connecting Rods
    (719)219-3107

14. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

What was it they said in a Bronx Tale...

"Spoken like a true gentlemen give that man a beer"

15. Dragsterbus

Dragsterbus Member

Anyone using BME rods ? a couple of people have recomended them to me but they seem to be a fair bit more expensive than others , any thoughts ?

16. aj481x

aj481x Member

Great products. Sometimes a little slow on delivery.

17. nextgen

nextgen New Member

Mgp rods

we have run just about everything out there except GRP we talked to Brain a year or to ago, he could not give a reason to spend the extra money!! we Have Run MGP (he owned Grp) Mike is a stand out GUY i had a problem with rods that were sold to me by a RACER the style had changed and i did not torque to MIKES spec or to correct method (105lbs. in one movement) they broke he GAVE A NEW SET EVEN THOUGH THEY WERE 3 YEARS OLD.

I bet noone else has that happened, he still works with us on change that he has made. Longest Rod Bolt more beefie width and he keeps improving as we make more Hp.

NO bull shit just a great guy, also Noel is there with him on technology.

steve quint