Rod Bolts

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Greg, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Greg

Greg New Member

Looking to see what cordless tool people are using to install rod bolts when doing the bottom end. I've heard that you don't want to use one of the impact tools. I've seen them being used and it looks like the socket fits right on the end of the tool. Probably very simple answer, but I can't find anything that's not an impact driver. Thanks for the help.

Greg

2. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

Hello Greg, We just use a small 12 volt cordless drill. cheap Sears one...LOL

3. DQUES

DQUES Member

I second the cordless drill . We use it for the valve covers , oil pan , and to remove and replace the rod bolts once they have been broken loose . We cut the female end off of a cheap extension and chuck it up.

4. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

a cordless impact works just fine. i've never had a problem related to the rod bolts, and we do bottom end every run, while it's hot, which alot of people say you can't do either. we rev 'em up as much if not more than anyone. an air impact might be a little much. i'm sure the drill works just fine, but an impact isn't going to cause problems. just make sure you lube the bolts, bring the torque down evenly and you'll be fine.

5. Jack Wright

Jack Wright Top Alcohol Funny Car

Makita makes a 3/8" cordless impact it works great

6. Jack Wright

Jack Wright Top Alcohol Funny Car

Makita makes a 3/8" cordless impact it works great

7. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

Put the 1/2 air rifle right on em.!!! Put the rod bolt in the socket and aim for the hole...

[ June 29, 2005, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: M Tigges ]

8. RBS

RBS Authorized Merchant

i like the 3/8 snap on it is strong and lasts a while. a little spendy but a nice tool.

9. Andy Bissett

Andy Bissett TAD 4

Greg,

I've used a 12 volt Bosch cordless drill and 14 volt Dewalt 3/8" impact gun and both worked just fine and never caused any type of rod failure. I've seen some fuel guys use a 1/2" air impact and not even break the bolts loose by hand first which was kind of scary.

Making sure the person doing the job is careful with the tool is probably more important than what tool they actually use.

Andy