Rocker system

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by boostedgt500, Apr 18, 2016.

1. boostedgt500

boostedgt500 Member

Im about to buy a new rocker system for my BAE 8X heads. Looking at Reid and Manton. I know they are both quality rockers but maybe someone might have an informed opinion on which mfg to use, or suggestions on what to get for longevity.

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

We have tried several brands and finally Manton and have had zero problems. The stability of the Manton rockers when combined with the Manton pushrods gives you horsepower because of zero flex. Jonnie Lindberg uses the Manton setup in his 272 mph record breaking Funny Car.

3. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

Manton hands down. The psi oiling is the only way to go . High ratio , low ratio you can't go wrong. If you don't own any yet I would buy the high ratio stuff , especially if you have a small 54mm cam tunnel. My 2 cents

4. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Noel Manton has been an engineer in the racing valve train business for years.

a/fd slngsht likes this.
  5. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Most BBC rocker arms that I see are aluminum. What are the hemi's?

Seems if we are trying to get rid of valvetrain flex, we would get rid of aluminum?

6. TADHemiracer

TADHemiracer Member

My Stage V hemi rockers are what they call "investment" stainless steel. I would not even consider using aluminum rockers, ever.

7. TADHemiracer

TADHemiracer Member

Forgot to add that, yes, aluminum is probably lighter and light is usually better for weight reduction, especially at higher rpm but NOT at the expense of durability. For flexibility, I think the less flex, the better.

8. boostedgt500

boostedgt500 Member

It's a 60mm cam, 515" lobe.

I've talked to both manufactures and gonna make a decision next week on which way to go. I'm leaning one way right now, just waiting for a call back Monday.

Thanks for the replys.
    Gordon.

9. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

Reid if you want the best!

10. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

I have owned both Manton and Reid rocker systems, and while both are good, I believe the product and service at Reid Machine are simply the best. I think if you check, the top, Top Alcohol Cars in the nation run Reid rockers.
    Good luck,
    Marty Thacker
    TA/D 7

11. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Harker, Lindberg and Leander's all run Manton. I believe they are pretty close to the top

a/fd slngsht and boostedgt500 like this.
  12. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

Mike,
    Those are very good top cars, and I said both systems were very good. Rumor is, some of those folks didn't pay for their rockers, either. I paid for my Mantons, had some break, paid an upcharge for getting non-faulty ones in trade, and then I paid for my Reids (full price). I think Dempke's & Severance's car owners paid for Reid's also!
    Service makes a big difference to me, also.
    Good luck to all,
    Marty

boostedgt500 likes this.
  13. boostedgt500

boostedgt500 Member

just waiting for Manton to call me back I have a couple questions for them. Thank you for all the replies appreciate it

14. boostedgt500

boostedgt500 Member

I was talking to Brad Anderson today and they have a new rocker system that has the heavy duty stands and the billet rocker arms.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  15. ProMod83

ProMod83 Member

I've run them all Mantons service is terrible, Reids are better than Mantons in all respects and they are great to deal with.

I do however give the nod to BAE individual rockers they are awesome and Jeremy at BAE has got to be one of the best guys to deal with.

16. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Never had a problem with service from Noel. Most the time he answers the phone and and service is arranged by him. Can't understand why you have had bad service from Noel. That just doesn't make any sense.

a/fd slngsht and boostedgt500 like this.
  17. boostedgt500

boostedgt500 Member

I'm certainly not here to say anything bad about a company. But I talked to them Friday and the owner was suppose to call me. Never heard from them.

As for BAE, Jeremy is awesome, and I trust them. He told me their rockers are all redesigned and Are having good luck with them.

18. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

Almost all the Nhra promod blower cars high ratio Manton rockers. Janis is the only one who runs t&d and he gets rockers no one else does, as far as Noel Manton goes he is excellent to deal with. He has helped me with cam specs, spring info and what some pros use. Serviced my rocker arms in 1 day. Can't complain!

a/fd slngsht likes this.
  19. boostedgt500

boostedgt500 Member

The new BAE rockers are wipers on exhaust and roller on intake.
    I thought roller tips on both Int and Ex was the way to go.

20. boostedgt500

boostedgt500 Member

BAE, Reid, and Manton all have about the same rocker system and they end up being about the same cost. From what I have found out, all three are quality systems. One of them doesn't include a couple items, the other mfg. will include some other items to bring the cost down so it's gonna come down to who will make the most compelling deal on a set of rockers. Got the cash waiting to buy.