Robertson Grabs the Wally at Indy

Discussion in 'Alcohol Racing News' started by News Editor, May 21, 2015.

1. News Editor

News Editor Administrator

Robertson Grabs the Wally at Indy

After a long, harsh Michigan winter, Todd Robertson and his ProPower Motorsports team were able to blow out the cob webs and win their first NHRA regional meet on a blissful sunny day at Indianapolis. “I couldn’t think of a better way to shake off the winter blues than a win during the Spectacle of Speed here at Lucas Oil Raceway Park,” chuckled long time crew man Ed Youness.

In the first qualifying round of Top Alcohol Funny Car, the Eaton-sponsored team ran a 5.65 @ 255. This landed them in the number 3 qualifying position, which they were able to maintain after two additional qualifying sessions. “We looked at the data from our runner-up pass at the US Nationals last year, and the conditions and track were similar so we went with it! And it paid off,” said team Engineer Jeff Sawruk.

1st round brought ProPower’s Chevrolet Monte Carlo against Ray Drew's Mustang. Robertson’s Lucas Oil-lubricated hot rod got the hole shot with a 0.021 light to Drew's 0.030 light which held on for the win.

2nd round paired Robertson against number 2 qualifier, Andy Bohl. Robertson's DMPE Supercharged Alcohol Funny Car moved first and took the win light as Bohl's Total Flow Mustang entry fought to stay straight.

The Final round was then set up to be a battle between Robertson's Aeroquip-plumbed Monte Carlo and Paul Noakes' Mustang. “Having lane choice in the final round is a big deal. It allows us to use the last pass as a base line to make the final adjustments,” says Car Chief Rocco Wilson.

Noakes had qualified number four and defeated Chris Foster and number one qualifier Jonnie Lindberg in route to the final, but Noakes' Mustang lost traction early in the run against Robertson and the Eaton/Aeroquip “Motor City Machine” took the win! “I’m so proud of the entire crew; everyone stayed focused, worked hard and completed all between-round maintenance without error,” replied Crew Chief Dennis Kolomyjec.

On a heartfelt note; while the team was enjoying great success at the track a close friend lost his battle with cancer. Sam Taormina of 21st Century Collision’s father “Salvatore” succumbed to his fate late Sunday. “The entire ProPower team is at a great loss of a good man, therefore I would like to dedicate this win to my great friend Sal Taormina,” expresses team owner Todd Robertson.