1. planbmotorsports

This has been a topic that has a lot of archieve but has focused mostly on second rings so I will throw this out. On a blown Screw blower aplication what is the ideal top ring. Dykes/total seal/C A zero gap. When you talk to total seal and C & A they tell you that they recommend there top ring for this application.

2. rpmhiperf

rpmhiperf Blown Alcohol

Stainless Dykes top ring.... doesn't really matter who's.

3. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

I agree stainless...

4. Alkydrag

Alkydrag Sr. Dragster

I wouldn't recommend stainless. They're too hard on liners. I've used regular moly and Speed Pro Hellfire top rings. The Hellfire's are a better choice. They last longer and don't tear up cylinder walls. Gapless rings look great in the trash can, that's where they belong. All engines create some form of blowby. This blowby needs an escape path. If you totally seal up the top of the cylinder from the crankcase, then that blowby will stay in the top of the cylinder. That's bad. As long as the ring is light tight against the cylinder wall, ring end gap will make no difference when it comes to leakdown numbers. In fact, increasing second ring gaps has a tendancy to increase horsepower some. Here's something to think about. If gapless rings are so wonderful, why haven't the OEM's started using them?

5. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

x-actly right best choice! Been there and done all of it. Mike:)

6. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

We run a moly top ring as well.

7. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

My choice is the hellfire rings- a little tough to find but no chipping on the face from detonation. Dave Germain

8. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

always had the moly chipping? call childs and they said that is part of using the moly ring...if you look at the ring under a loop you would freak out. Dave