rev counter for super mag 5

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by slingshot, Oct 5, 2015.

1. slingshot

slingshot New Member

i have a autometer monster tach with built in shift light,super mag 5 and solid core plug wires.will the autometer tach converter (part no 8119) work or is it a load of rubbish.does anyone sell or make a rev counter that is compatable with what ive got.many thanks.

2. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

Sorry but the tach converter won't work. I have the same set up and the tach just goes in circles when the engine is running. I rigged up a mag pick up and a hand held tach for setting up the car. Did away with the in car tach all together.

Corey

3. slingshot

slingshot New Member

cheers corey.

4. crdafoe

crdafoe Member

Supermag tach solution

I am building an nostalgia a/fuel combination and using a SuperMag V as well. I encounted the same issue, and contacted Spud Miller at FIE with the question about it, since he's the manufacturer of SuperMag's now. Here is what he told me about it:

Chris: Very old caps and/or rotors will cause tons of extra noise from the ignition. Voltage likes sharp edges to jump to/from and an old cap and rotor will have all its contact edges rounded and worn causing voltage (and noise) to skyrocket. Tachs hate the extra noise from that. A very worn or missing center contact in the cap/rotor will make tachs inoperable. If a guy really wants a rock solid signal to feed a tach, install a good shielded crank trigger pickup and use its output direct to the tach device. It's bullet proof.

Because the MSD 8132 doesn't work so well for Super-Mags or Vertex mags, we have a new tach signal generator in the prototype phase. It utilizes a special pickup on the coil wire or the magneto cap. It USES the noise present to create a nice signal. It works very good so far, we're looking for more testers to try them out. Or, you can build one yourself with a combination of parts, read up here: http://www.fuelinjectionent.com/revlimiter.php

Hopefully that helps
    Chris