Retard with an lencodrive

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by clarky, Jan 31, 2011.

1. clarky

clarky New Member

Hello

We are working on a 6.50 index Funny car(heavy!!!) with a 2 speed Lencodrive, 540inch AJ chev 16/71 in Australia.(6.66@208mph) We running fairly low boost and we are seeing way to much of an rpm/boost drop on the gear change. I was wondering if anyone has tried retarding the ignition on the gear change. In theory i am trying to make more torque, help the convertor lock up and then the engine to accelarate faster out of the low rpm/boost situation. I have seen this work on clutch cars.

Has anyone tried this with an auto or am I wasting my time.

Thanks

Clarky

2. SCO1035

SCO1035 New Member

Ignition Retard

If you are going to go with an ignition retard, there are now a few guys in Oz using to MSD 8973. I have just purchased one for my blown altered and am awaiting it's arrival.
    After looking around, this seems to be the best option, for us anyway.

http://www.msdpromag.com/8973.htm

3. underby6

underby6 Active Member

8973=bad bad bad
    You can use a 6 shooter, EM Timer, and pneumatic/elec solenoid to accomplish this. I don't know if it works or not and I do run a converter in TAD. Talk to Dave Leahy and he can set you up. I would be interested to know if you have any success with this.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

Sent from my IPad

4. SCO1035

SCO1035 New Member

Bad?

What is the problem with an 8973 for this application?

5. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

question

To answer your question directly, I don't think you'll achieve the desired results with what you are proposing.

If the motor made more torque with the timing retarded, it would want less timing the whole run.

The root of the problem is if it is tugging the motor down too much you have the wrong gear or converter. Either go with a looser converter or change your rear gear, go to a shorter tire, or get a tighter split in the trans.

Timing out at the gear change is usually done with door cars to keep it from knocking the tire off because the suspension is unloaded. I don't see how retarding the timing is going to make it make more torque and 'pull' out of a low boost situation. Seems like a good way to make sure it stays in the low boost situation. Personally I disagree with that statement.

6. GTPerf

GTPerf Member

We have run the 8973 for years never a problem I would much rather use it than a 6 shooter if it is legal in your class,,, BUT! what Will said ,, gear ratio and maybe converter probably need more rear gear Will said it very well
    P.S. ( has someone had a problrm with a 8973? we love it)

7. clarky

clarky New Member

Thanks Will ideally we need to put a 3 speed in the car and split the first gear ratio in half but there is no room. convertor is pretty much spot on 4-6% slip. Will look at ordering some smaller roll out tyres next time and see how that changes things.

Aside from that we already have a 6 shooter and leahy box so i dont really need a 8973 to complicate things

8. Will Hanna

Staff Member

gear

unless you are close to the max rpm you want to turn in the lights, sounds like you need to put a different rear gear in it. looser converter without the gear change may help the shift but lose et the rest of high gear.

Also by putting a more aggressive rear gear in it, you could put a bit taller gearset in the lencodrive and help the split situation. Shorter tires could help even more.

Lets say you have a 1.56 low with a 4.56 rear in it. You go to a 4.71 rear gear you would go to a 1.51 low to make the car think it had the same effective gear ratio in low. So you could probably go with a 1.44 and a shorter tire and the car only thinks it has a few percent less in low gear with the shorter tire. More than likely with the converter, I'd guess you are pulling some timing out off the line as it is, so you just get after the timing curve a little more...

Now the car will pull much better in high gear and you have a better split.

On the other hand if the car is heavy enough, it may pick the car up more with the more aggressive low gear ratio with the new more aggressive gear....

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  9. SCO1035

SCO1035 New Member

Sorry mate, if l new you already had a six shooter l wouldn't have made a suggestion.

Only had positive comments on the 8973 from those l have spoken to.

10. Will Hanna

Staff Member

Hate to hijack the thread, but pretty soon the 8973 will be obsolete as MSD has their new Power Grid and Leahy's new Command Module will both feature fully digital timing curves.

The 8973, in my humble opinion, is prone to RF noise, esp. in FC's. My theory is the RF bounces around under the body. They work well in door cars because in most instances they are behind a steel firewall.

Let's keep this on topic for the guy who started the thread before it becomes another 8973 is great or not thread.

11. Gil Anderson

Gil Anderson New Member

You will probably find that if you talk to 10 people, you will get back 10 answers. There were several rumors that the P/S guys were screwing around with timming as you'd described; however, they would add 1-2 degrees of timming at the hit, and, from there, take .5 degrees out on each gear change, but, many went back to the standard deal. Although, some, will take out timming in the event of slipping the tire and/or gear changes. I would say, based on your slippage numbers, that you're close to where you want to be. While you hear stories about people having 1 percent slippage, it's hard to verify. We always try to go for 5 percent slippage as a standard. It just begs the question of your stall speed relative to what your dyno numbers are. Simply stated, you would want to start out at your peak tourque as your starting point from your stall speed. There are some other variables that are never talked about with a converter in relationship to fluid dynamics and how it effects the stall, and, in addition, torque multilplication. That being said, you can go about what you're doing in two ways, one, being torque multiplication in your converter, and, second, thru your exhaust tunning. In a perfect world, for a converter guy, you would love to have the cake and eat it too in terms of being loose on the bottom and tight up top. Much like a clutch where you can slip the clutch on the bottom via your base and lock the clutch up on top via counterweight up on top. John Lingerfelter had this thought when he ran a powerglide in a/d via fluid restriction in his transmission back in the late 80's. As a result, he was able to run a loose converter and throw more torque multiplication to the converter as a result. Lock up the converter after the 1-2 shift and gain what could be lost up on top as a result of the coverter slippage. The other thought is your tunning via exhaust. You can tune your exhaust to effect your tourque curve via different lenths. While Norm Grimes used it once, I'm surprised that you don't see more people using the idea, especially in the ADRL deal. You can increase your torque that way too via exhaust tunning, but, none of the TAD guys have looked at this as a viable option. If they have, they probably won't say..lol

That being said, I don't know about the Lencodrive deal if anyone has tried to do a lock up type setup via fluid restriction. But, I would try a converter that would have more torque multiplication with the same effective stall if you're happy with that. For instance, if your converter has 1.5 torque multiple, maybe, you could try a converter with a 1.6 torque multiple. The increased torque will allow you to accelerate the car harder. However, you would see there's a fine line to where too much would leave the car prone to spining the tires off. In the event that works, from there, you could see if you can throw more 1-2 gear at the car to see how it likes it. You may find that it's a fine line there. In the event that you do you do that, you may have to fine tune your rear end gear accordingly to how hight you want your trap rpm to be.

12. clarky

clarky New Member

Thanks for the reply Gil

We are currently going the gearing route, lower diff gears to hopefully free enigine up in to top half of the track + taller front pack to compensate on the start line. The guy who builds our Lenco drive has devised a pressure regulator for the trans you described and we will have access to one in March to try. there is atleast one auto pro mod in Australia using his device already. Once we had sorted the gearing out and the pressure reg I will Knock some timing out on the shift and see if it does have the same effect as a clutch car.

A link to the car from the weekend (blue chev)

Clarky

13. clarky

clarky New Member

14. texas racer

texas racer New Member

the RF bounces around under the body. They work well in door cars because in most instances they are behind a steel firewall.

sounds like a urban legend will...that is just flat out non-sense! and by the way ..the 8973 will not be gone anytime soon..get the facts straight !

15. Gizmo

Gizmo Member

Who that runs well actually runs an 8973? Leahy has his new Power Module out and it does everything the 8973 does and it's much easier to operate. The only reason someone would still have an 8973 is because they don't use it (it's just on the car), or they don't want to spend the $. I cannot think of a single TAD or TAFC (worth their salt) who runs an 8973. I'm not as familiar with the PM community but as Will said they seem to work better on the PM. I refuse to believe that a few guys on this board are smarter than the brightest minds in alcohol racing who threw them out when they were malfunctioning for no reason.

Steve L.

16. Will Hanna

Staff Member

Maybe obsolete is the wrong choice of words. There is newer stuff that is fixing to be out there. Considering the Power Grid is about $250 cheaper than what the 8973 lists for, why would anyone want to invest in an 8973? Sure MSD still makes 20 amp mags too.

You can toe the line that there is nothing wrong with the 8973. I'll stick with my urban legend....

17. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Texas Racer, all race cars with a high output magneto systems especially a ProMag 44 radiate what is called Electromagnetic Interference or what is abbreviated as EMI. This EMI will trigger a ignition system that is used with a crank trigger and an unshielded crank trigger cable just like it was getting a pulse from the crank trigger sensor. This random unwanted triggering of the ignition system can and will destroy and engine like it had massive detonation. In the early days of MSD crank triggers on nitrous motors with a 7AL2, 7AL3 and Digital 7 ignition system destroyed motor after motor from this EMI. It chased racers away from MSD to other brand ignition systems until MSD figured out what was causing it and developed the shielded and grounded crank trigger cable. The other problem with this EMI is with data loggers. On some FCs the Racepak V300 digital sensor bus just will not work because the EMI stops the data logger dead in its tracks. The Pro II Racepak system with a standard discreet bus does not have this problem. Now as Will said the Promods don't seem to have as much problem with the EMI and the Racepak V300 because the V300 sits back in the car behind more metal shielding such as the firewall but Promods are subject to EMI on their crank triggers and use shielded cables. As an engineer in the aerospace field I can assure you that EMI is not an Urban Legend and is real and is something that we have to take in account on designing electronics in jet fighters like the F-16 and F-22 and in commercial airliners.

18. Will Hanna

Staff Member

Another note

Texas Racer is a MSD employee. In the interest of full disclosure.

Problems with the 8973 being called urban legend has been the party line from MSD from the get-go. If this was the case I think the 8973 would be the standard in the alcohol categories rather than the 6 shooter.

19. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

To be fair Will, the problem has not really been the actual 8973, or the 7AL2, 7AL3 or the Digital 7 but has been the problem of the unshielded crank trigger cable picking up the EMI. So saying it is actually the 8973 or one of the other boxes can be called an Urban Legend or really just a misunderstanding of the problem.

I think that MSD has been straight with racers on the problem but sometimes people just don't understand or don't listen and therefore Urban Legends start. The software or whatever anybody wants to call it cannot do something that it is just flat not built to do. I think some of these misunderstandings that have been spread as Urban Legends have scared some racers away from these systems. Then there are racers who just don't like or understand computers so they elect to use Six Shooters. Don't ever get me wrong because Six Shooters work great also aswell as the 8973. Some racers don't use any retards so they don't have a 8973 or a Six Shooter. I think that there are a lot of 8973 out there and working great.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  20. Will Hanna

Staff Member

fair enough

Fair enough Mike, I can drink to that.

Would it also be fair to say that the 8973 is more prone to EMI than a six shooter? Especially in a FC where it is just a foot or more away from the ignition system?