Relay needed for trans brake on Quick drive or Lenco drive?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Soldierboy0098, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Soldierboy0098

Soldierboy0098 Active Member

Hi Wondering if I need a relay to activate my trans brake as opposed to just running my little ART micro switch straight to the trans brake? I did it without a relay on my dragster and held it for about 10 seconds and it seemed fine. Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Trevor Sherwood

2. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

I haven't I installed my quick drive yet but was told just a button is fine. The less wiring the better. I've also heard that Lenco drives and Bruno's are very touchy with wiring.

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

If you can get away without one then do it. Regular relays will slow down your reaction time and are not consistent. If you have to have one then use Shannon Davis solid state on. Moretraction.com

4. Jason Green

Jason Green Member

I agree with Mike, if you can run without it then do, just keep a spare button because sooner or later the contacts will get burnt and that will cause you some headache.

5. hotrod796

hotrod796 New Member

I use a switch only for a LencoDrive, I believe it's made by Dedenbear. As long as it's rated for 25 amps you're good.

6. superpro453

superpro453 Member

Check the voltage drop at the transmission end. If it drops below the manufacturer's recommendation, you might need to run a relay (we had to on our Lencodrive).

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Use a larger gauge wire if the voltage drops too much. Stay away from a relay unless you love inconsistent reaction times

8. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

What he just said^^^^^^^^^^!! Relays are like hot girl friends. Great at first then nothing but trouble in the end lol

9. superpro453

superpro453 Member

We didn't have anything larger than 10 gauge to hand (unless you count the battery leads)... but as I footbrake the car from idle, I guess I'm not bothered about consistency in the TB - more concerned that the car would creep with the TB on - not good when you use the TB to go from forward->reverse or back (we've broken more than enough reversers).