Racing on Saturdays?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Here's an idea I had, let me know what you think.

What would you as racers and fans think about running alcohol eliminations as the feature show on Saturday? Granted, this would have to be in a format that truly did feature the alcohol racers with some live TV. Very similar to what NASCAR does with its Busch series.

Simply put, we need to find a way to make our classes equitable to the level the Busch series is on.

I think this could help NHRA because it would give them more of a show to sell on Saturday. I think if it truly was featured, it could help alcohol racers greatly by garnering more attention.

As far as TV time, remember, NHRA already has one hour time slots for tape delayed sportsman coverage. These time slots could be shifted for live or same day coverage.

Let me know your thoughts...

[ November 11, 2003, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Will Hanna ]

2. The Zone

The Zone Member

I have talked about that for a number of years. No One seemed to give it much thought. But in this day at ago, it might be the time.
    Dean

3. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Super Comp

That's a good idea ! Maybe get some more fans to watch the Alky classes !

4. Vitali Kazakevich

Vitali Kazakevich New Member

I think this would be great. It would add a lot of coverage to alcohol classes and have the show on one day instead of being split between the two days (which should allow races to get home in time to go to work on Monday instead buring up vacation days). Of course NHRA will probalby have to come up with fill in stuff for in between rounds on Sunday.

Vitali Kazakevich
    TAD 436

5. Bob Holley

Bob Holley New Member

Will,

I agree with your idea. The important thing is to try and get the same day coverage for tv. I think most racers would agree to whatever is necessary to acomplish this. I don't even watch most of the sportsman coverage because of the odd airing times etc. When you can read about it in the paper before it aires is sad.
    It will be a hard sell with NHRA. Not because it can't be done and would benifit top alcohol but because it would require change!!!
    BUT LETS TRY TRY TRY.

6. David Smith

David Smith Member

I think its a good idea. Question is how to go about qualifying. Two Sessions or Three sessions , all on Friday or one thursday, two on Friday?

7. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

I think this is a great idea, and if the T.V. deal could be made so that it was same day or live coverage it would be even better. The obscure times that the sportsman coverage is on now are ridiculous...but at least it's there...most of the time.

It would be a smart move by NHRA to move the alky classes to Saturdays mostly because then they would be selling twice the show. Now, maybe I'm just going insane, but for some reason I sort of remember someone suggesting a while back that NHRA was worried about the TAD class getting too close performance-wise to the Top Fuel class and for some reason or another this was a bad thing. Well if you moved the alky cars to Saturdays you wouldn't have this problem anymore because it would basically be two separate shows.

Makes sense to me anyways.

8. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

the key part of this is to be 'truly featured'

just running us to get us over with on saturday isnt going to work, and would be a step back if not promoted.

i think getting some live same day coverage is a key part of this working. i'm not on the 'in' as to what production costs of a show are, but i'm sure a same day show costs more to produce than a tape delayed deal. more or less all the editing, producing, etc has to happen pretty quick, rather than just putting it together during the week.

in reference to air times of sportsman shows, we have the best air times ever here the last few years. most shows come on in the middle of the day on one day in the weekend. thats why i don't think the time slot would be as much a problem as getting espn to produce the show.

as far as qualifying, i would say 3 shots friday, with maybe one on thursday? if the alcohol cars start getting promoted on this level, maybe we could be a pull for a thursday night session? 'top alcohol qualifying starts thursday night, professional qualifying friday.....'

morgan, if you're out there, what do you think?

9. T.Smith

T.Smith Top Dragster

Why not just two on Friday and I don't think NHRA would be to keen on 4 rounds in one day.

10. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

16 car show, Right? I think 2 runs on Friday and 4 rounds on Saturday would be great.

11. Scott Nelson

Scott Nelson New Member

Random thoughts:

The only real advantage would be if the TV portion could be worked out so that it was same day coverage, like they do for the Pro's on Sunday. Problem is that often they already have a Qualifying show that highlights the Pro action on Saturday, which I doubt they will be willing to give up. ESPN or ESPN2 may not have that much time available to do both shows. Maybe it would have to be with another channel like Speed, or something?

As for being 'featured', I think that is great, but I don't know how they would fit the 4 Rounds in between the Pro Qualifying sessions on Saturday. What you might end up with is a 1st Round early in the morning, when most of the crowd is on their way to the track, 2nd and 3rd Rounds right before, or in between the Pro sessions, and the Final Round while 90% of the people are trying to get out of the parking lot to get to the freeway.

A disadvantage is that the TA/D and TA/FC classes would no longer have any exposure to the fans on Sunday. There are some people who only go on Sunday, and if I am trying to sell my exposure to a sponsor, I would like to be able to sell as much coverage as possible.

What I would like to see is the TA/D and TA/FC cars run more in conjunction with the Pro sessions and Eliminations. Just like they do with Pro Mod. Instead of being the between session 'filler', while everyone is in the Pro pits checking to see if any P/S racers are getting their lights knocked out in the TF pits, we could be a part of the BIG SHOW. Just think if they ran PSB, P/S, TA/FC, TA/D, FC and then TF? Would that be cool?

I think it could be a win/win for everyone. By highlighting the TA/D and TA/FC cars to the masses, and lets be honest, the masses are there to see the Pro's, there is a very good chance that some of the masses might become interested enough in TA/D and TA/FC they might attend some Divisional Events.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade. Just trying to look at both sides. Also, keep in mind, once you get out of being part of the show on Sunday, it will be very hard to get back.

12. tad2155

tad2155 Member

great idea will, but it seems nhra is getting to
    political and they are forgetting this is about
    racing and going fast! and if this was true the
    alky classes would be showcased right after the
    nitro guys and promoted but it's not about real
    racing. by the way appreciate the mention of good job guys especially ronnie tuning the yellow car to a thirty on a marginal divisional track oh yes this one didn't get away i seem to remember that
    response!!!

gkelly

13. David Smith

David Smith Member

Scott the last few National Events I went to. I have noticed NHRA has been running the Alky cars after the pro rounds with pro mod and other exhibition classes following the alky cars during the 2nd round and 3rd rounds to give the teams a little more time. The final round thats another story though .

I do know alot of Alky racers and one of there goals over the course of a race weekend is to be there racing on Sunday .

Also would need a major sponser for this.

14. The Zone

The Zone Member

Scott writes, "Just think if they ran PSB, P/S, TA/FC, TA/D, FC and then TF? Would that be cool?

I think it could be a win/win for everyone. By highlighting the TA/D and TA/FC cars to the masses, and lets be honest, the masses are there to see the Pro's, there is a very good chance that some of the masses might become interested enough in TA/D and TA/FC they might attend some Divisional Events.

You guys got some fermented Seattle chocolates left Scott ol boy :D ;)

The win/win would definately be for the Alcohol teams, who unfortunately all us are biased to, but the Factory Hot Rods (them slow Pro Stock cars) are factory supported big time and I don't think GM or Dodge wold like being second fiddle to the alky cars, even though they should be (if drag racing is about speed). The TV coverage while being same day, would be great, but it is not EVER going to happen. Based on the support from NHRA the two classes have been given over the past couple years, be thankful we have any coverage. And like Will said, the week or two following the race on the weekend during good hours is pretty good imo. Saturday's crowd in general is better at most races these days I seem to witness. I think a Saturday eliminations show is a good idea. and even if the TA classes are the last cars down the track on Saturday, if the announcers do their job, the fans would possibly stay to see who won the two classes. It could certainly be a feature deal on saturdays.
    There really is not to many negative in my mind, as a supporter/ promoter/reporter of the two classes, there is more upside than downside.

Dean

[ November 12, 2003, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: The Zone ]

15. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

Saturday Race could add value to the class. But many of the above thoughts would have to happen too. It would need to be featured like the old TRW Races or whatever they are called today.

I also agree the class should not be a filler.

Personally when we ran alcohol it was benefical to do between race maintenance on the Sunday of the race. It sucked in that fact that we lost first round or didn't qualify, but it helped out for the following week or race.

16. Rocky

Rocky New Member

I don't think the alcohol classes are run as filler. The typical running order during qualifying and eliminations is TAFC, TAD, PM, PSB, PS, FC, TF. So they are run just before the Pro classes. But, because it takes so long for the PM, PSB, PS entries to to run, it seems like an eternity before the FC and TF classes run. I'm certain the NHRA doesn't want to insert them between PS and FC.

17. was R4K

was R4K Member

Rocky- do you consider pro-mod a pro class? I don't believe NHRA does. ;)

18. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

I would love to see the alky cars to be run before the Fuel classes(After PSB and PS) but it won't happen! As long as NHRA gives the alky classes their full 3 qual. sessions, I'm happy!

19. Scott Nelson

Scott Nelson New Member

Dean,

No fermented chocolates here. Trust me, none of the ones I had stayed around long enough to get old.

I have been mixing Power Punch with my morning coffee though..... ;)

If you guys are so hopped up about Saturday Eliminations, let's try adding this.

How about Saturday Eliminations at National Events. If NHRA and/or Lucas is not interested in really, and I mean really, promoting the deal to make it big, find another sponsor who is. Now for the kicker.

The National Championship Series will consist of ALL 16 National Events, no Divisional Race input. Up the payout to help with the additional travel that will be required, and promote the daylights out of it. Make it a REAL Championship Series.

If we want to get a fan following, we need to get them interested not just in the cars, but also the drivers. Get them to want to follow their favorite driver from race to race on the TV coverage, which is a must.

I still remember watching coverage of Sportsman Racing of a National Event in 2001 when Bob Frey kept going on about how Jay Meyer was there, but Mark Hentges, Rick Santos and Brandon Bernstein, the #1, 2 and 3 in points were all racing in Mission at a Divisional Race that weekend. How can a fan follow that? How would the Pro shows do if Force, Dixon and Bernstein were only on a few of the shows?

Most of the racers chasing a National Championship go to at least 16 races now, so no additional races would be required. What would change would be the travel, but some additional cash could help with that. Somehow the Pro Mod racers, and even those seriously competing in the Compact Racing Series, seem to be able to make it work. Why not TA/D and TA/FC?

20. Brownman

Brownman New Member

Hello....is anyone paying attention? Take a good look at the Pro Mods. First of all they have the word "Pro" in their title. Don't you think we need a name change..like right now. Second, look at the fan appeal they attract with the exotic paint jobs and wicked names. They are better at marketing themselves than we are. Don't be surprised if these classes become one in the next few years. ( Sorry!) With the shortage of alky bodies and lack of exposure the "Mods" have a wide open chance to grab more fan appeal, which translates into more tickets and promotions. Why do you think NHRA has taken it from IHRA? You have to give the people a reason to love ya! To quote the "Snake"..Drag racing is great but it only last a few seconds. Admit it....its all about the show! I plan to run our new car with more exposure for the car than the sponsor. Remember some dude named "Jungle Jim" win / loose or whatever, he was a promoters dream, like Force. Line up Manzos car next to the undertaker and you have a show. ( doesn't T/F get a chance to run F/C ?) So....unless you get "Pam" to come out of retirement....don't reinvent the wheel..beat them at the game or be relegated to a position in between S/S and S/C! UGH!