Rac Pac Data?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Brownman, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Brownman

Brownman New Member

Getting ready to order a computer set up for the TA/FC. When I spoke to race pac, I got more questions than answers. Is too much data no good? What do you guys track as far as data goes. RPM,Driveshaft speed, EGT,seems like a base line. How about Fuel Flow rate, Fuel pressure, manifold pressure, Supercharger output, oil temp, oil pressure and god knows what else. They told me that once the computer is custom built for the car it must be sent back to them for any changes. Got to do it right the first time. (sorry for all the questions....but that all I got! No answers yet. This is gone to be some fun!! Brownman :eek:

2. alkyfc

alkyfc Comp Eliminator

all data is good to have..but id say engine,clutch and d/shaft rpm..fuel flow, fuel pressure and boost as well as egt's are vital. Oil pressure is good to monitor too. thats probably a pretty standard alcohol racepak program theres more you can add as you have found out..all depends on your wallet.

3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

once you get your tune up lined out, you'll probably only watch a few things, the most important being driveshaft speed. it is very helpful to have alot of information when trying to sort out a problem, though. having several sources of data to look at a problem from can save thousands in wasted runs. so spending the extra dollars for extra sensors can easily pay for it by not having a wasted run.

as far as tuning goes, thats more on the tuner than the computer, as far as 'too much information' goes. the computer presents the data and it's up to the tuner to interpret that. generally with a racepak you can set up which graphs you want to come up each time you load a run. your tuneup and the way you run your car will dictate what data is the most important.

hope that helps

4. Les Mellows

Les Mellows New Member

If you can afford it get a timing pick up (expensive,worth it if you can afford it) and have an extra 200 psi pressure transducer installed on your setup, meaning 4 pressure transducers (all 200-300 psi) . 1- blower @rear, 1-fuel @ pump, 1- fuel @ port , 1-interchangable (to test) from oil pressure, to pan pressure,and for timer pressures and blower @ frt when used. Engine rpm, 8-egt's, manifold temp, driveshaft, clutch and G-meter are all about the most pertinent to use . This is the time to do it, its usually $1000. plus for each basic upgrade after the fact

[ January 01, 2004, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: Les Mellows ]

5. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

Brownman,
    Check into the AutoMeter DataLogger data collection computer. I have run both it and a Racepack over the last 6 years or so and both do basically the same job. The Autometer has several advantages in my opinion. The first one is the entire package costs about 1/3 to 1/2 as much as the other brand. You don't have to send it back to the manufacturer and pay them to change channels. You just plug in your new sensor, and go through a few self calibration steps. Their people are at every National event (they share MSD's trailer)and their customer support has been excellent.
    Good luck,
    Marty

6. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

Brownman
    Another to check out is the computech logger
    www.computechracing.com
    we use it, and are very happy with it
    plus like marty says the cost is much lower than brand R

7. Danny Humphreys

While I don't run TAFC or TAD, I do run a big inch blown alky deal in outlaw street. I tried out the Edelbrock Qwikdata unit and have been very impressed with this piece. You can add your own sensors w/o any probs and the cost is VERY reasonable. I haven't run a racepak or autometer to compare it to, but I will say this. It made a big difference in telling what the car was doing during a run and delivered a consistent, reliable flow of information. And like Will said, once your up and running, you'll only monitor a few channels of info. I think I paid less than $3000 for the whole setup including EGT's. Only downside is tech, 1 guy w/ zero personality, but he does know this system very well.

8. was R4K

was R4K Member

nothing worse than a moody tech guy on a bad day, always hope to talk to them on payday or just before a holiday. lol

9. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

brownman,

look at the classifieds post by john newton. foley has a pretty good deal on that racepak. foley didn't have any junk...

10. Brownman

Brownman New Member

Will gatta tell you and the guys that the help I'm getting with this site has been great. By paying attention to other postings, I've been able to learn things that I didn't even consider to this point. As this is our first year we have spent a great deal of our monies.( Yeah! I know your name isn't Lucas either!) The data issues is a prime example that is expensive for us all and cost you year in and out if you start out with a bad choice. Thanks for the help! Brownman :D

11. Brownman

Brownman New Member

Chuck.......To reply to your question. We have not yet picked up a data computer for the flopper. It appears that will are going to get a deal from a major player involving a computer. I'm just firming up what sensors and such that we require and then we should be all set. Just need to learn how to use it......along with the rest of the car! Everything is still in "Jello" but seems to be a done deal. Thanks Dave ;)