quickest methanol altered in USA ?????

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Luke, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Luke

Luke NFAA Altered

hope this is the right place for this post!!

basically i am trying to find out the quickest methanol altered in the usa, but with a roots blower NOT a hi helix etc etc
    gotta be standard roots. the quickest in europe is a swedish fella and had run a 6.72

2. Rapid Randy AA/FA

Rapid Randy AA/FA Comp Eliminator

Try Drag List and ask Bill Pratt. He probably will have this info. Try posting in the "Whats Up" section.

Will, hope it was ok to list another site here!

Rapid

3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

i know larry reep has been at least 6.30's if not quicker. but i think that was with a helix, i dont know. many, if not most of the cars that run the 'fuel' altereds circuits run on blown alcohol.

4. Luke

Luke NFAA Altered

thought it would be something like that, hopefully if all goes well with the engine set up that we have this season we should be able to get the european methanol altered record.

5. The Zone

The Zone Member

Jirka Kaplan went 6.49 two years ago at Mission in his AA/AM
    14-71 non helix(under driven as well) with a 380 inch small block chevy combo

Dean

[ April 19, 2005, 04:43 AM: Message edited by: The Zone ]

6. Luke

Luke NFAA Altered

blimey thats moving aint it?!!??!

we have got big block chevy which is 511 cu in, 14-71 mooneyham with 35% overdrive, msd44 amp mag, and all the rest to match etc etc etc

what do you think the best this set up could run?

7. white lightnin

white lightnin New Member

I am not for shure David Sumek's altered runs in comp on alcohol with a little BAE motor (414 cu.in.) and has ran 6.50's

8. The Zone

The Zone Member

Sumak runs the same class as Kaplan in Comp AA/AM
    Dean

9. Les Mellows

Les Mellows New Member

Neil Parker, went 5.94 with the Excavator Topolino in Pro Outlaw a couple of years ago again this was with a 14-71 hh . He went 231 or 234 on that pass I believe ? in either Epping or Budds Creek possibly.

10. altered 1

altered 1 blown altered

I have Michael Barclay's Pro Outlaw Altered. He went a 6.05 @ 229. (with a hi-helix) I have only ran my motor in 1/8. Went a 3.96 @ 180 with a hi-helix Littlefield last year. Just put a Kelbelco HH Superman on and haven't got down the track yet.

11. Luke

Luke NFAA Altered

brilliant thanks for all your replies, it gives us a sort of ball park to aim for,

our class rules mean that we cannot use a hi helix and must stick to the standard roots blower, but i still think that we have a combination for 6.60's. what do ya think??

12. Will Hanna

Staff Member

According to the draglist, they have Ron Boggs who drove the Boggs Bros. (Steve was the other brother) altered to a 6.013 at 225 in 1989.

Does anyone know what kind of blower he had at the time?? Was it a PSI? PSI was introduced in late 88 and banned sometime in 89. Also, wasn't the hi-helix introduced right around that time frame?

Still considering the year, that has to be the standard for altereds.

13. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

will...
    when ron boggs ran that 6.01 it was with a PSI blower. i think they were running a 451 cube motor if i'm not mistaken. steve group built that car, neat piece.
    darren

14. Luke

Luke NFAA Altered

well i no that were never gonna come near a 6.01 !!!! just out of curiousity why was the PSI banned??

15. Dan Lynch

Dan Lynch Member

That was one bad ass altered...

16. Will Hanna

Staff Member

that would explain why they have him listed at a 6.25 the next year.

quick history lesson. when psi was originally introduced in 1988, it had cast rotors. roots blowers were only being turned around 50 over. when the psi came out, people quickly learned you could turn this blower higher and higher and go faster and faster. as norm put it, the biggest speed secret was who could make the biggest pulley. there were some people running some small cubes back then 411-426, and these were days before rev limiters, so when they flipped a sprague, a small motor might see 14000 before it spit the rods. norm never invisioned them turning the blowers 100+ od. a couple of racers flipped spragues in phoenix and disintegrated blowers. before that qualifying session was over in phoenix, steve gibbs backed all the guys with psi's out of the lanes, and they were banned till they found the problem. norm came back with machined rotors, and an sfi rating where they spin tested the blowers to 29000 rpm. they were reinstated, and the rest is history.

if i missed it, i'm sure someone will correct me, but i'm pretty sure thats the facts.

17. jpruett

jpruett New Member

last april at noble , ok we ran 6.51 @ 209 but had to let out at 1000 ft. since i was lined up with the cones and didn't want to ruin new nose on car. we run brad 5 heads and a 1471 kuhl blower. we've since moved rear wing back and built a front wing so car will hopefully steer better. race 1/4 mile at sealy texas with outlawfuel altereds (www.outlawfuelaltereds.com) may 7 - i'll give you an update after that if you are interested.

18. Luke

Luke NFAA Altered

yeah def interested in how you get on, the blower we have just bought is a mooneyham magnesium case with billet rotors, will spin it at 35% for now i think.

19. jpruett

jpruett New Member

our rules limit us to 35% overdrive.... although i cheat at an actual race, we were running 35% on pass mentioned.

20. Luke

Luke NFAA Altered

yeah our rules are the same, its unfair realy cos the fuel cars in our class are allowed up to 85% nitro, but the alcohol cars like us can only run 35% overdrive. although all we would have to do is up the rpm i suppose, what do you think??