question on psi screw

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by raceman526, Feb 4, 2008.

1. raceman526

raceman526 Member

Does anybody know why the NHRA in Top Dragster or Top Sportsman will not allow a screw blower? They will allow a 1471 high helix at any over drive. God, this is just a bracket class! 6 flat is the rule. What does it matter?

2. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

This is just speculation but maybe to keep the cost down?

3. Warrior

Warrior New Member

They are Allowed In Top Dragster. Jim Lutrel Local Racer has One on His Car.

4. BOBBY MARTINDALE

Cost,what Cost.cost

When Have They Ever Been Concern About Cost,they're Not Paying For It,we Are. 2 Cents

5. underby6

underby6 Active Member

NHRA for 2008 T/D does not allow screw blowers. Any NHRA T/D quicker than 6.00 must adhere to ALL TAD/TAFC rules and specs in regards to safety. It still means no screw blower, and the car still must be self starting with a converter (if it's supercharged in regards to the converter). IHRA 2008 T/D limits the 14-71's to 32% over and no screws allowed. A little bird told me if the cars continue to run sub six second passes in IHRA, the overdrive will keep going down until the cars run low sixes.

Brandon Booher

*Edit* Forgot to add that this was off the div. 3 for NHRA T/D rules. The IHRA 32% limit is across the board.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  6. craigwilcox

craigwilcox New Member

Screw

Kansas,
    2008 Rule Book Says (pg.109), "advanced E.t.".....
    Supercharger:
    Screw-type Superchargers Permitted.
    Same Book, Now Turn To Pg.223...t.a.d.
    Last Paragraph:
    Supercharger:
    Screw-type Superchargers Must Meet Sfi Spec 34.1 ...etc.....etc....

7. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

advanced e.t.

Advanced E.T. and T/D are not the same set of rules. Advanced E.T. covers racers running local events. While T/D and T/S have many of the same requirements, they have their own sets of rules governing what they may and may not do. Screw chargers of any type are not allowed in T/D or T/S in any division. However, you could run in a local quick 8 or heads up program under Advanced ET rules with a screw blower and a clutch if you desire.

8. Warrior

Warrior New Member

9. craigwilcox

craigwilcox New Member

Psi

WILL,
    Div. 6 also allows screw superchargers in their T.D.
    What say you??

10. Will Hanna

Staff Member

corrected.

I stand corrected. All I can say is wow. Apparently you can take a legal TAD and run TD now?

Is this good for the class? Does anyone have a screw yet for TD competition?

11. Warrior

Warrior New Member

Yes Jim Lutrel Does here in Div. 7. His Plan is to run the car first 3 events in TD then Try TAD.

12. craigwilcox

craigwilcox New Member

Still a question...

The initial thread was presented by RaceMan 526......
    "Why can't screw blowers be used in a bracket race",
    I'd like to see that answered myself!!
    It's a mechanical device that needs to be tuned by human hands.
    The gear ratos, weight of the car, weather conditions, the ability of the driver, etc. are part of the equasion to make or allow a car to perform to it's potential. Everyone still "tweeks" on their tune ups!
    If.....an event had 24 entries for the TAD or TAFC, and #17 and above did not make the show because, they just didn't have the right tune up in the car, and say that those cars did not have screw blowers and the others did. I know what their next move would be. If a screw is a better product, and it helps to save parts, why would the authoritarians have the ability or desire to disallow such a product from being placed in competition? I've been told by our division six directors, that bracket racing is " an electronics enviroment" and that the bracket classes would loose participants if the electronics weren't used. That would or will never happen, because car counts create revenue. I see a parallel evolving. If a mechanical device
    (blower) allows for more fine tuning and for the car to establish consistent times, why then would the powers at hand ( divisions other than 6 & 7 ) want for the teams to leave their screw blower at the front gate. WE...are in an enviroment of thousands of a second, pay check or no pay check, which seems to be the out cry for the current payouts that are given to those that place in an event. If Nike's are better than Rebock, does that mean that you take off your Nike's before intering an event? I find it hard to think that seasoned directors would want to keep cars from entering their event because of a product that is more costly than it's opponent.
    Think back when the Hemi was first introduced and the races that it won, only to be black flagged because of it's ability to perform better than it's competition. Again..why the " can't install rule"?
    Craig

13. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

if you want to run a screwblower on a dragster, go join NHRA and give it your all. why put a dial in on something like that. if you want to bracket race, build a big block chevy with a carburator on alky and where it out.

14. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

:(sniffle sniffle boo hoo

15. Will Hanna

Staff Member

why or why not

I guess I'd like to see NHRA TD rules unified. That's one question I have. If this class ever has a shot at becoming a part of the national event scene, a uniform set of rules need to be established. If screw blowers with clutches are allowed, it will take 6.50 or better to qualify. Is that good or bad for the class? That's debatable.

I also know there's an issue of origin. The west coast guys come from Top Comp rules while the east coast guys come from IHRA T/D and T/S.

Another question one has to ask is do we want dial in racing at 230-240 mph? Do we want someone to jab the brake at 230? What about driving the big end on a loose track? Should people do the above things? No. But will they to win a round, you bet your ass they will.

Before this class gets turned into a high 5 second low six second dial in class, we need to take a good hard look at a few things.

16. The Zone

The Zone Member

TD in Division allows a screw but you can only run 6.00 or slower
    Dean

17. craigwilcox

craigwilcox New Member

Will,
    Unified.....accepting what's available to use at ones descretion, but still able to meet the noted chassis requirements and run within the parameters of that class.
    Some cars in T.D. already have screw blowers, so to be unified, they have to be accepted, because of the financial out lay that has already occurred. It can't be expected to remove them because not everyone can afford them.

You said that their are other issues to be worked out, what might they be Oh wise one??

18. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

Be a great place to run an old TAD car.

19. Will Hanna

Staff Member

et limit

what i was getting at is that less than 1% of the current top dragsters out there have screw blowers at the moment. if they are going to let them in, i think a et limit around 5.90 needs to be implemented, or the class will be so out of hand in a few years, many will be priced out of competition. for the record, i think that et limit needs to be for roots blowers as well.

with a low et limit of 5.90 or so, then i would have to advocate allowing whatever means one would want to get to that point. i don't like the idea of allowing parts that will take the class well into the 5.50s or quicker in the not so distant future.

20. raceman526

raceman526 Member

Screw Blower Reply!

Okay Guys, nobody is whining. The bare fact of the matter is.... A screw blower turned down by my own hands, not mandated is deffinately less agressive on the engine. I have a KB/Vinney setup in my dragster, yes it is posssible to run 5.50's. That is not what we are looking to do. We are looking to go mid to low 6's without beating the crap out of our motor. I personally think that the screw blower will do just that....
    We do not have alot of money to race TAD, and if we did it wouldnt have a blower on it (unfortunately). We are bracket racers trying to keep our stuff alive.
    ( The screw blower versus a roots). With a 14 I have to turn it 9,000 plus RPM, with my screw 7800 max. This will help prevent oil on the track and parts in the stands. This is a simple bracket class, if they really want to see us go fast we will show up with 2 turbos and show them what boost really is. But I realize not everyone is fortunate enought to have a screw blower.
    All aside, it is a simple bracket class 6 flat no faster, so it shouldnt matter at all what you have for a blower. So... is there anyone out there that will disagree with me that the screw blower will be safer, less expensive, and easier to tune!!!!!!!!! Oh yea, and more consistant.