Question for Bob Meyer

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by FUEL749, Sep 2, 2005.

1. FUEL749

FUEL749 Member

Bob, I was wondering if you could describe the welding technique you refered to in another thread on this site. I've seen welds resembling what your talking about and was curious about the procedure used to get the appearance, but didn't want to change my current method that works well for me, especially on a customers car. Thanks for any info you can give.

2. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

Well, being a one finger type guy, I'll do a short version. It will require patience to master, but will save time in the long run.

Start with .058 to .058 about 1-1/4"d.
    MUST do accurate copes, no gaps! If you use grinders/drumsanders for copes, CLEAN all burrs and silt. Remember the burned stuff will migrate into the backside of the weld. Depending on the manufacturer, and wall thickness, the phosphorus coating may have to be fine sanded/scotchbrited also. Some think that wide welds mean that the fits were poor, mostly not the case, except when the weld lookes like ashes.
    Tack the parts using small rod. (.045) Then use 3/32" for the weld. Start arc, hold until you see "WET", then add first dip, hold until the drop flows out to the width you want (approx. 1/4")only then do you move forward bringing the puddle with you, next dip, and on 'till you have to move your hand with a feather touch as a guide. As you finish the joint, you should see the "heat line" approx. 1/2"+ out on either side of the bead. This is slow heat draw over a larger area that will cool the joint more evenly without the area directly next to the weld becoming brittle from cooling too fast.
    It's a matter of experimenting with torch angle and the amperage of "THAT" machine. Keep your tungsten clean.
    People in a hurry will cause undercutting, brittleness, or in the case of too much heat and too much rod will do nothing but put "ashes" in the weld from burned carbon. Patience and position will reap the most success.

3. FUEL749

FUEL749 Member

Thanks Bob, I've seen some chassis welded like this and was wondering about the particulars, looks like the only thing I'd really need to change is wire size and modify my technique a little. Thanks for taking the time to one finger your response!!